Non-motoring > Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 75

Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - smokie
What is your favourite?

I have been aware of the McCartney is dead one for some years but hadn't realised just how much "evidence" there was to it, and how many of the clues linked together. However I still don't believe it... and stuff is being read into things which really wasn't there.

This was the write-up I read on it recently. tinyurl.com/yczhmqvh Be warned it takes quite some time, especially if you go off and listen to some of the stuff, as I did (relevant tracks played in reverse are available on YouTube)

I need to find an exhaustive one about the moon landings, and aircraft contrails.
 Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - DP
I would love to know what Bush knew about the terrorist attacks of 9/11 before, during and after.

I wouldn't go as far as the government orchestrating it as some believe, but there are a lot of interesting stories around his business dealings with the Bin Laden family, and even expediting a hurried exit for some of them from the US in the hours after the attack. His reaction when informed was also deeply odd....
 Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - Robin O'Reliant
>>His reaction when informed was also deeply odd....
>>

I think we base our perception of how people react to tragic news mainly on what we see in films and TV shows where they invariably go into hysterics. In my experience stunned disbelief is the more likely emotion, and people show that in different ways.
 Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - BiggerBadderDave
"I would love to know what Bush knew about the terrorist attacks of 9/11 before, during and after."

Clearly nothing since she was busily recording her album, Director's Cut, at the time.
 Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - Dog
9/11 is a fave of mine too, as is Princess Diana: www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVKGRB3cygg
 Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - sooty123
Never heard of the McCartney one before.
 Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - Crankcase
Mine would have been all that Holy Blood and the Holy Grail stuff in the seventies and eighties, when it was "new". Now it's been over saturated and done to death, but then it was great fun.

The Royal family being shape shifting reptiles was entertaining for a bit, in the nineties.

Kennedy's assassination and all that whodunnit stuff yielded some interest too. I even ploughed through the Warren Report at one point.

Oh, and the hidden underground Masters of Tibet running the world still toodles along in the background for many. I imagine this week's news reports about the "warm caves under Antarctica" will stimulate that again, if the proponents aren't still fannying about with Edgar Cayce's caves under the Sphinx.

Mustn't forget to name check Hancock and his lovely lost pre-ice age civilisations stuff, or Bauval's barmy Egyptian pyramids aligned with Orion stuff too.

So much baloney in the world. So much fun.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Thu 14 Sep 17 at 17:53
 Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - Old Navy
It is common knowledge that the moon landings were a cold war con job. The astronauts never left earth orbit.
 Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - Zero
>> It is common knowledge that the moon landings were a cold war con job. The
>> astronauts never left earth orbit.

The ones in Apollo 1 and Columbia certainly didn't A lot of them have died for a "con job"
 Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - bathtub tom
Erich von Daniken's chariot of the god's had me enthralled as a young teenager.
 Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - sherlock47
Nazi military bases in Antartica
Dead aliens buried in secret by the US military is one that regularly crops up.
 Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - R.P.
Biggest conspiracy of all: There isn't a conspiracy. It's all cock-up
 Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - Stuartli
That Everton were going to have a good season....:-(
>> A lot of them have died for a "con job"
>>

Relatively few compared to the armed forces who died during the cold war, several submarine crews at 100+ a time, also a lot of aircrews were lost. I assume the cold war was a non event from your cosy office.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 15 Sep 17 at 07:58
>> >> A lot of them have died for a "con job"
>> >>
>>
>> Relatively few compared to the armed forces who died during the cold war, several submarine
>> crews at 100+ a time, also a lot of aircrews were lost. I assume the
>> cold war was a non event from your cosy office.

Wasnt me that used the term "con job" sunshine, so go yap at someone else.
 Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - Hard Cheese
>> It is common knowledge that the moon landings were a cold war con job. The
>> astronauts never left earth orbit.
>>

Utter rubbish!
 Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - No FM2R
>>It is common knowledge that the moon landings were a cold war con job.
>> The astronauts never left earth orbit.

Common knowledge?

Aside from anything else like the Government could have kept that secret for 50 years.
>> Aside from anything else like the Government could have kept that secret for 50 years.
>>

I think you would be surprised at what the military could keep secret (and still can in some cases) until the hand wringing liberals of all persuasions took over the political scene.

The people with the lowest security clearances we ever had at sea in a nuclear submarine were the House of Commons Defence Committee. The were restricted as to where they could go, a lot of stuff was locked away (as it would be in harbour) and some equipment was covered up.

Everyone knows that the moon landings were mocked up at Area51 in Andrews AFB by Hollywood. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 20 Sep 17 at 09:37
 Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - zippy
>>Hollywood

Nah, not with that dodgy camerawork.

Probably some cheap outfit with a spare video camera.
>> >>
>>
>> I think you would be surprised at what the military could keep secret (and still
>> can in some cases) until the hand wringing liberals of all persuasions took over the
>> political scene.
>>
>>
>>
Amazing how the Russians didn't grass them up, as they'd have been monitoring every millimetre of the flight.
 Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - Mike H
A friend of ours is convinced that Diana's death was engineered by the royal family, and that the SAS carried out the contract.
 Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - Duncan
>> A friend of ours is convinced that Diana's death was engineered by the royal family,
>> and that the SAS carried out the contract.

This is probably one of my favourite conspiracy theories. It only takes a moments thought to realise how simple that would have been to plan and execute.

Yes, Diana's death was obviously murder by the SAS. Only a fool would think otherwise.

Did I mention that I used to be in the SAS? This was the sort of thing we did all day long. I was on the Iranian embassy job - can't say any more.
Well that's blown your cover, and credibility. :-)

>> Did I mention that I used to be in the SAS? This was the sort
>> of thing we did all day long. I was on the Iranian embassy job -
>> can't say any more.
>
Ah Excellent, now about the cost of the fire and rebuilding.......
 Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - TheManWithNoName
Apparently 12 million Americans believe the world is run by lizards.
>> Apparently 12 million Americans believe the world is run by lizards.

The one they voted in?
I used to scoff at the one about aircraft seeding chemicals in their contrails.
Actually turns out to be true if you think about it. CO2 produced in great quantities into the atmos from the burning of a fossil fuel - kerosene/jet A1.

Not sure though if the chemicals can be used to control vast swathes of the population through mind altering drugs.
;-)
 Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - devonite
Princess Di's murder and the fake Moon landings are not Conspiracy theories, they are fact. Too much of the "Conspiracy" theories makes perfect sense! My favorite tho' is The Roswell/Aliens exist ones, We have been visited before.......

edit: forgot the ;-))
Last edited by: devonite on Fri 15 Sep 17 at 14:18
They'll be saying the Earth is flat and only 4,000 years old next!
 Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - CGNorwich
>> They'll be saying the Earth is flat and only 4,000 years old next!
>

And that Brexit will make us all rich.
L
 Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - Bobby
I don't believe for a minute that Bin Laden was buried at sea
 Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - Haywain
"And that Brexit will make us all rich."

And that people from Norfolk are a bit, well, you know ......
 Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - legacylad
No, not that one. Eddie Lizzard the comedian
 Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - Mike Hannon
>>I don't believe for a minute that Bin Laden was buried at sea<<

Neither do I.
Why would they not?
 Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - Mike Hannon
Well, it was all a bit quick...
Doesn't take long to bury a body at sea I wouldn't think.
Not "Buried" as such, just unceremoniously dumped out of a helicopter.

Which is what I would have done with him.
 Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - devonite
Bit like the old joke, "I'm going to dance on your Grave!" - "great cos I'm being buried at Sea"!

Suppose it stops "The Admirer's" and Followers making his grave a shrine and perpetuating his memories!
 Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - Ted

Should have heciloptered him over an active volcano 'cos now my Uncle Bob has to share his watery grave....and he was there first after a spat with the German raider Thor off Montevideo in 1940.
>> >>I don't believe for a minute that Bin Laden was buried at sea<<
>>
>> Neither do I.

You think he's still alive?

Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - Cliff Pope
>> and that the SAS carried out the contract.
>>

I'd like to hope that when the SAS takes on a contract it manages it better and not in a blaze of publicity in circumstances calculated to make them a target for cranky conspiracy theorists.
Has any conspiracy theory, on any subject, ever been proven to be true?
I imagine that when the first mutterings about Nixon were mooted in the sixties, many (most?) people thought it was a conspiracy theory that the President might be spying, lying, making secret recordings and financing thieves.

So I guess that was an example of one that was actually proven true.

Most of them though have some sort of kernel of truth, so it's just really the balances between provable truth, likely truth, hypothesis, speculation, credulity and acceptance you want to play with. Doesn't take long to get into "what is actually true anyway", especially in this post-truth society.
>>Most of them though have some sort of kernel of truth

No they don't. They're all garbage supported by the foil hat brigade.
I named seven upthread, and in my opinion, five of them have some sort of kernel of truth.
I know what you named above, I read your post.

My point stands.
 Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - sherlock47
Surely the biggest conspiracy theory (or urban myth?) of the lot is religion.
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Sun 17 Sep 17 at 21:00
>> I named seven upthread, and in my opinion, five of them have some sort of
>> kernel of truth.

Yeah right. We can save some space and bandwidth if we shorten your name by 4 alphas.
How strange. I would have thought it indisputable, if you had read anything at all about them. Still, there we are.
For a time, I had my own conspiracy theory about the Comet Jet liner that kept crashing.

I had suspected that the Americans had sabotaged them. They had several motives for doing so:

Firstly, the Americans were livid that we had developed what could be effectively a very long range jet powered (and fast) bomber and insisted that it couldn't fly over Soviet states or states friendly to the Soviets. Repairs and maintenance had to be undertaken by De Havilland staff at the destinations and no one else was allowed near them.

Second, the Americans were still livid that we had sold Jet engines to the Russians in 1947 and these were used to great effect in the Korean war in lighter MIGs.

Third, the Americans didn't like the idea that other countries had more advanced (potentially military) hardware than them.

Forth, the Americans expected their aircraft industry to dominate and the Comet put them seriously on the back foot.
Not really the Americans were miles ahead already just not many people realised it at the moment. The comet was too small for a start. It would never been converted into a bomber (stand fast nimrod).
First flight of a Comet: 1949
First flight of a Boeing 707: 1957
Ditto Convair 880: 1959
Ditto DC8: 1958

So ahead by a good margin.

>> First flight of a Comet: 1949
>> First flight of a Boeing 707: 1957
>> Ditto Convair 880: 1959
>> Ditto DC8: 1958
>>
>> So ahead by a good margin.

Being infront and being actually infront are two different things. The 707 and comet are two different aircraft aimed at two different markets. The Americans saw which way the market was heading.
>> For a time, I had my own conspiracy theory about the Comet Jet liner that
>> kept crashing.
>>
>> I had suspected that the Americans had sabotaged them. They had several motives for doing
>> so:

And it turned out to be square windows.
>>And it turned out to be square windows.

That's what they tell you!

:-)

Now, where did I put that tin foil cap!
 Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - Bromptonaut
Another step:

The engineer Nevil Norway (who wrote fiction as Nevil Shute), and had associations with De Havilland via the sale of his interest in the Airspeed company, predicted the whole metal fatigue thing in his novel No Highway (1948)
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 17 Sep 17 at 20:53
After "On The Beach" I haven't been brave enough to read any of his other novels!
 Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - Bromptonaut
>> After "On The Beach" I haven't been brave enough to read any of his other
>> novels!

His early stuff like So Disdained, Marazan and Lonely Road were rather formulaic crime/spy yarns. Later, using more imagination and his knowledge of aviation he became a true novelist with works such as What Happened to the Corbetts, Ruined City, Most Secret and The Pied Piper. Arguably he later developed his own formula perming two from Romance/Flying/Australia and drawing on his own experience with novels such as The Far Country and Beyond the Black Stump.

Aside from No Highway my own favourites are The Rainbow and the Rose, In the Wet, Round the Bend and the desperately tragic Requiem for a Wren.

His autobiography Slide Rule (largely about the airship R100) and biography Parallel Motion tell more
Just once in a while here I think I must have logged on to Wikipedia by accident...

Doesn't happen often though :-)
 Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - henry k
Fresh from one of Fleet Streets finest

www.dailystar.co.uk/news/weird-news/645154/nibiru-apocalypse-2017-end-of-world-september-23-sister-lucia-fatima-third-secret-tsunami
That's a bit of a bother then, I have a 3 week road trip planned around the west coast at the end of the month. Still, most hotels and the car hire can be cancelled at no cost.
 Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - tyrednemotional
....I've put a fiver on at 100000/1 that it will happen.....

;-)
 Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - Fullchat
Did the same thing this time last year over three weeks. SF, Yosemite, Tahoe, Grants Pass, Then across to the Pacific coast - Eureka, Mendocino, Napa and back to SF.
 Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - movilogo
[1] Moon landing.

It surprises me why even after so many years

1. We don't see visiting to Moon is a common event.
2. China/India are unable to send men to moon yet.

[2] Malaysian Airlines flight disappearing - in this day and age!

>> [1] Moon landing.
>>
>> It surprises me why even after so many years
>>
>> 1. We don't see visiting to Moon is a common event.
>> 2. China/India are unable to send men to moon yet.
>>
>> [2] Malaysian Airlines flight disappearing - in this day and age!
>>

It is dangerous putting people on a big rocket and firing them to the moon. It is also very, very, very expensive so unless there is a real financial / political benefit it isn't going to happen anytime soon.

The Airline thing is odd, but then it's a very big world 70% of which is covered by water.

Here is some recent tinhat stuff re that:
www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/murder-man-zahid-raza-mh370-conspiracy-theories-missing-plane-blaine-gibson-madagascar-malaysia-a7930891.html

Also onboard were 20 staff members from a US technology company, Freescale Semiconductor, which makes powerful microchips for industries, including defence!

>> Just once in a while here I think I must have logged on to Wikipedia
>> by accident...
>>
>>
>> Doesn't happen often though :-)
>>

Seems like that tonight!

Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - Manatee
I am reading Slide Rule just now. Very readable and fascinating. And to the point of this thread, a bit of a conspiracy could be said to have existed about the R100/101.

For those not familiar, though I suspect most of us are, there was a huge amount of politicking after Versailles about whether the aircraft industry and not just military ones should be private or public. Shute/Norway was chief calculator on the R100.

The Barnes Wallis designed and privately constructed R80 and the R100 were talked down by the Air ministry that constructed, at much greater expense, the much-vaunted but badly designed and ill-fated R38 and R101, the crashes of which were more or less used as reasons for scrapping the Barnes Wallis ships.

I have a minor thing about airships. I dug out and listened to a CD today, 'Curly's Airships' -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=K73HC3VCd08

It seems very likely, listening to the whole narrative, that Slide Rule was a major research resource for it.
 Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - bathtub tom
Have you looked at the Wiki site about the use of diesel engines/weight/thrust compared to the original design petrol?

Heavy oil (diesel) engines were specified by the Air Ministry because the airship was intended for use on the India route, where it was thought that high temperatures would make petrol an unacceptable fire hazard because of its low flash point. A petrol explosion had been a major cause of fatalities in the loss of the R38 in 1921.[27]

Initial calculations were based on the use of seven Beardmore Typhoon six-cylinder heavy-oil engines which were expected to weigh 2,200 lb (1,000 kg) and deliver 600 bhp (450 kW) each.[28] When the development of this engine proved impractical, the use of the eight-cylinder Beardmore Tornado was proposed instead. This was an engine being developed by Beardmore by combining two four-cylinder engines which had originally been developed for railway use. In March 1925 these were expected to weigh 3,200 pounds (1,500 kg) and deliver 700 bhp (520 kW) each. Because of the increased weight of each engine, it was decided to use five, resulting in overall power being reduced from 4,200 bhp (3,100 kW) to 3,500 bhp (2,600 kW).

Unexpectedly, crankshaft resonance was encountered above 950 rpm, limiting the engine to a maximum of 935 rpm, giving an output of only 650 bhp (485 kW) with a continuous power rating at 890 rpm of 585 bhp (436 kW).[29] The engine was also considerably above estimated weight, at 4,773 lb (2,165 kg), over double the initial estimate.[29] Some of this excess weight was the result of the failure to manufacture a satisfactory lightweight aluminium crankcase.[30]

Another problem with the power installation was that the original intention had been to fit two of the engines with variable-pitch propellers in order to provide reverse thrust for manoeuvring during docking. The attempt to develop these was unsuccessful, and as a short term measure one of the engines was fitted with a fixed-pitch reverse propeller, consequently becoming dead weight under normal flight conditions. [N 1] For the airship's final flight two of the engines were adapted to be capable of running in reverse by a simple modification of the camshaft.[32]

Each engine car also contained a 40 bhp (30 kW) Ricardo petrol engine for use as a starter motor. Three of these also drove generators to provide electricity when the airship was at rest or flying at low speeds: at normal flight speeds the generators were driven by constant-speed variable-pitch windmills. The other two auxiliary engines drove compressors for the compressed air fuel and ballast transfer system. Before the final flight one of the petrol engines was replaced by a Beverly heavy oil engine. In order to lessen the risk of fire, the petrol tanks could be jettisoned.[33]
There is a story trending on FB currently about a chap who apparently took a spirit level on a flight to show the bubble didn't move thereby proving the Earth is flat.

>> There is a story trending on FB currently about a chap who apparently took a
>> spirit level on a flight to show the bubble didn't move thereby proving the Earth
>> is flat.
>>
>>
>>

That's hogwash!

Everyone knows that planes don't really leave the ground. They go to a secret hanger here they play a movie of the sky and coach you to where you are going.

The world is much smaller than they make out. They just don't want us all driving there so they can make a profit on plane tickets and monitor where everyone is going like.

Last edited by: zippy on Wed 20 Sep 17 at 13:27
 Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - legacylad
Zippy, I don't think that is true
>> Zippy, I don't think that is true
>>

Noooooooo, don't stamp on the truth man!
I was almost on one of those flights, an hour late leaving the UK due to technical issues on arrival at Istanbul the plane parked at the Turkish maintenance hanger and the punters were bussed to the terminal on the other side of the airport. Hmmm!

Talking of spirit levels has anyone heard the saying "Losing the bubble"?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 20 Sep 17 at 16:59
 Favourite conspiracy theories/urban myths - Mike H
>> Everyone knows that planes don't really leave the ground. They go to a secret hanger
>> here they play a movie of the sky and coach you to where you are
>> going.
>>
Sound like "Capricorn 1" - now that was a good film IMHO.
Latest Forum Posts