Non-motoring > Confetti shredder recommendations Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 38

Confetti shredder recommendations - Ambo
What home confetti shredders does the forum recommend from personal experience? I recently shredded an important document by accident and found it quite easy to reassemble from the ribbons in my conventional shredder, even though the bin was nearly full.

I would like a confetti version with about half the capacity of a small landfill wheelie bin, preferably with castors and a removable inner bin (although I suppose a bin bag could be used as a liner).
 Confetti shredder recommendations - henry k
I have a small cross cut shredder for several years.
It is is good for what I need, it creates a suitable output to mix with my grass cuttings.
No clever bits just an off, auto, reverse switch.

Like this from £30 upwards
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bonsaii-DocShred-C560-D-6-Sheet-Micro-Cut-Paper-Shredder-Home-Office-UK-STOCK-/371250056694?hash=item56703a4df6:g:V5oAAOSwRoxXn~qq

The spec on mine says it can cope with up to five A4 sheets at a time , staples and even credit cards.
I avoid feeding it stapled sheets especially as to groans a bit at two sheets of A4.
I bought it and my earlier one cheaply from Staples or similar.

No experience of anything bigger.

Last edited by: henry k on Sun 17 Sep 17 at 11:12
 Confetti shredder recommendations - zippy
I have this one:

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00QLGRF9Q

But paid £45 for it.

It's not bad. Can cope with 10 sheets, staples etc. Needs oiling after 2 bin fulls. Thin vegetable oil from Fellows.

I find all home based shredders have a finite life. The roll out bin is a real boon though as it can be tipped in to a bin liner easily.
 Confetti shredder recommendations - Old Navy
>> Thin vegetable oil from Fellows.
>>

Or the kitchen?
You must have got a bargain, Zippy, as it is now £90 from Amazon, but still worth considering.
 Confetti shredder recommendations - Fullchat
All this tech.

Throw in bowl of water. Allow to soak. Wring out making a lovely mulch. Defy anyone to reconstruct documents from that :)
 Confetti shredder recommendations - sooty123
I chuck mine on the chinmera...chermir...chemin, the outdoor burner thing.
 Confetti shredder recommendations - car4play
>> I chuck mine on the chinmera...chermir...chemin, the outdoor burner thing.

Username checks out.

May I suggest more oxygen for a clean burn?
 Confetti shredder recommendations - helicopter
Seconded....
 Confetti shredder recommendations - Zero
No-one on here has documents worthwhile the effort of someone else recovering and reconstructing strip shred ones from a 15 quid home bargains special.
>>No-one on here has documents worthwhile the effort of someone else recovering and reconstructing strip shred ones

How can you know?

>>from a 15 quid home bargains special.

What reference is this?
 Confetti shredder recommendations - henry k
Take your pick/price and review.
www.staples.co.uk/search?x=27&y=20&keywords=shredder

I legitimately obtained a big bag of strip shredding from an office environment and it was very easy to reassemble some items. They were all originally plastic backed.

Prior to getting my first shredder I used to just burn any paper I was concerned about.
>> >>No-one on here has documents worthwhile the effort of someone else recovering and reconstructing strip
>> shred ones
>>
>> How can you know?

Well do you? do you really have documents and data worthy of someone targeting you, stealing your bin and reassembling your documents

>> >>from a 15 quid home bargains special.
>>
>> What reference is this?

www.wilko.com/paper-shredding-laminating/texet-straight-cut-a4-shredder/invt/0420870?nst=0&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr_786sKs1gIV2BobCh07UgygEAQYASABEgIEzPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
 Confetti shredder recommendations - CGNorwich
I agree.
I can't imagine someone going to the effort of piecing together my old gas bills. What documents are we concerned. about?

In the same vein I watched my brother cut an old credit card up into to about 20 pieces before putting it into the bin. I rather think cutting it in half would have done the job. I think we are all becoming obsessed by security
>>I think we are all becoming obsessed by security

You should see the shredding bins in my office. Wheelie bin sized, thick stainless steel, recessed lock, hole at an angle so stuff in there cannot be retrieved.

Mine shredder is as required by my employer. I do have papers that are useful to others at home and they need to be confetti cut.
Fair enough if it's a business requirement. I was more thinking of normal domestic needs. Not much worth reassembling in my recycling bin. To be honest hardly gave any paper docs these days at all. All bank statements, utilities insurance policies etc are electronic and I don't print them out.
I think the only bill I receive on paper these days is the council tax.
>> You must have got a bargain, Zippy, as it is now £90 from Amazon, but
>> still worth considering.
>>

uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Fellowes-PowerShred-Micro-Shredder-Safety/product/B00QLGRF9Q

Seems so, was £45.99 (to be exact) for a very short time.
 Confetti shredder recommendations - Manatee
We have had an Aurora AS1023CD since March 2012, Amazon tells me. It has castors and a pull out bin, and is about 50cm tall.

amzn.eu/1GQCUC5 (shredder) £60

It's supposed to detect paper and start and stop automatically, which it did until couple of months ago. Now it detects, but runs on until switched to stop, but I don't think it's done too badly as my wife is a diligent shredder of anything personal.

It's supposed to take up to a dozen sheets IIRC, but we normally put maximum 4-5 in. That might account for the fact that it still works. We run a lubricating/sharpening sheet through it occasionally.

amzn.eu/cepEAqU (sheets)

The cross cut is only about every 2" however, and if my life depended on it I might be able to reassemble a shredded sheet, so perhaps if your life depends on total security then this might not be the right machine for you.
>> It's supposed to detect paper and start and stop automatically, which it did until couple
>> of months ago. Now it detects, but runs on until switched to stop,

Maybe it needs a good clean out of the paper eating area, sounds like a microswitch is bunged up with paper dust or confetti.
 Confetti shredder recommendations - Manatee
I think it's a light-sensing thing and I've had a look but can't see anything. It still works, and it stops my wife leaving it on!
In the past I've seen burn bags used, they are made from thick brown paper. Anything important got put in there, there was normally three or four to burn. I used to drive out and take them to burn in the middle of nowhere, we used to have to sit there and watch it burn.*
One chap did it, thought it wasn't burning fast enough so he thought he chuck some petrol on it. Whoosh! Came back minus eyebrows and looking somewhat red for a few days.
With copies of what I generate (like spreadsheets and copies of letters ) and what material I receive (especially financial items like bank statements) there must be a lot that would be useful to crooks. I don't think literal dustbin searches take place but if bribing Royal Mail staff to pass in information, as we recently learned, why not house cleaners, tradesmen, and servicemen and so forth who may visit the house? Even residents may not always trustworthy!

I don't have anywhere to burn material. I used to compost shreddings but now arthritis prevents me from gardening. In any case, composting can attract rats.
No burn bags aren't really for home use, but the out door burners don't take up much space. A shreder is the most convenient though. Mind you cgn is right if you switch to paperless bills then there's less to worry about in the first place.
why not house
>> cleaners, tradesmen, and servicemen and so forth who may visit the house? Even residents may
>> not always trustworthy!

So you shred everything as soon as it comes through the letter box?
That made me chuckle zero. :)
We have recently have had and will next week have tradesmen from local reputable companies in our house. We have no problem with leaving them in the house on their own for short periods. They would be mad to touch anything other than the job in progress or the tea, coffee, and biscuits left for them. The police could trace them in minutes, and their well paid livelihood would would take a severe hit. Not worth it.
>>That made me chuckle

Glad you are so easily amused.
I am as well, makes laughter much easier to come by.

Confetti shredder recommendations - Ted

In any case, composting can attract rats.
>>

Sure does...mebbe some of these guys can help out !

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNFGLRR27EA
 Confetti shredder recommendations - Mapmaker
>>You should see the shredding bins in my office. Wheelie bin sized, thick stainless steel, recessed lock, hole at an angle so stuff in there cannot be retrieved.

Pure paranoia (almost certainly). So little of the stuff that is shredded actually needs it. People have an over-inflated sense of self worth. And HR/Risk Departments have to justify their existence by implementing procedures and supervising them.

Oh it all makes work for the working man to do...
>>Pure paranoia (almost certainly).

Copies of bank statements, personal ID, management accounts, business plans, acquisition details, share portfolio details etc. etc. etc.

The FCA / DPA would issue a huge fine if the stuff was put into an open bin and found, not even considering the huge reputational risk.

There certainly is a good business case for the destruction of such documents but there is an element of paranoia creeping into people's domestic lives. We certainly don't need industrial grade shredding devices to destroy old gas bills and junk mail.

The strange thing is that people go on FaceBook and disclose all sorts of information to the world at large but become paranoid about putting an old receipt into the wheely bin.

If any one wants to steal my identity they can go ahead. It's pretty boring and I'm looking for a new one anyway :-)
 Confetti shredder recommendations - Bromptonaut
>> The FCA / DPA would issue a huge fine if the stuff was put into
>> an open bin and found, not even considering the huge reputational risk.

Govt documents were habitually over classified but I spent most of my career dealing with personal stuff pertaining to real people, court and tribunal records including medical etc reports. As at CA there'd be hell to pay if that stuff went in black bags on the street.

On other hand we could read stuff from case files through the court office window at Lanos in Texas

Confetti shredder recommendations - Crankcase
Different world, the US, innit. I read a story last week about an internet troll who, to cut a long story short, has just been jailed in the US pending sentencing next January (max 20 years).

The story gave the location of the prison. Within five minutes, I was able not only find details of the prison, but also the fact that yes, he is now an inmate, here is his prison number, here's his photo, and here's an email address for him (you preface the address with the number and if they deem it suitable they pass it on to him). I'm not emailing him, I hasten to add, just idle curiosity!

Just took a one minute Google to uncover this stuff. I bet you couldn't do that with a UK prisoner a day or two after the trial.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 19 Sep 17 at 17:31
>>The FCA / DPA would issue a huge fine if the stuff was put into an open bin and found, not even considering the huge reputational risk.

Mostly paranoia. FCA/DPA creating jobs for themselves. Reputational risk only arises on account of widespread paranoia etc. etc.
>> >>The FCA / DPA would issue a huge fine if the stuff was put into
>> an open bin and found, not even considering the huge reputational risk.
>>
>> Mostly paranoia. FCA/DPA creating jobs for themselves. Reputational risk only arises on account of widespread
>> paranoia etc. etc.
>>

Tell you what, you put 5 years worth of un-edit bank statements, all of your accounts, your birth certificates, bills, share certificates, insurance documents, driving licence and bills in a plastic bag and take them down a local pub in a dodgy area of town.

See how long it would be until you got ripped off or your information was used to rip someone else off.
Exactly how could anyone extract money from me eve with all that information.? They couldn't access my bank account or sell shares.
You're just being completely ridiculous. My driving licence isn't going in the bin, nor would share certificates. Nor would yours, and nor would anybody else's (if you're shredding these, then you've got bigger problems than just unshred paperwork). Birth certificates may be purchased for £9.25 from this link www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ ; they're not identity documents.

You've just proved my point that your reasoning is mostly paranoia.
Copies would though and these are what would be sent to a bank to prove identity, net worth etc.
Latest Forum Posts