Non-motoring > Dog owners - thunderjackets??? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 22

Dog owners - thunderjackets??? - Bobby
Vet has recommended we get one for the upcoming season for our lab - had never heard of them before - any experiences??
 Dog owners - thunderjackets??? - Zero
Quack science. By fussing over your dog on fireworks day, you are in fact instilling into the dog a behaviour.
 Dog owners - thunderjackets??? - Manatee
>> Quack science. By fussing over your dog on fireworks day, you are in fact instilling
>> into the dog a behaviour.

I don't suppose that matters if it works. I had to look that up, never heard of it.
This isn't just fireworks day though this is the fireworks season.
So anytime soon they will start to be set off and my lab is a quivering shaking wreck with them.
Won't cross the door if he hears them even in distances.
Hides under a desk or even caught him inside the wardrobe a few times.

Genuinely feel sorry for him. It's almost as if his hind legs have given way he is shaking so much.
>> This isn't just fireworks day though this is the fireworks season.
>> So anytime soon they will start to be set off and my lab is a
>> quivering shaking wreck with them.

Ok, so think logically, how will a tight coat stop the fear?
>>Ok, so think logically, how will a tight coat stop the fear?

I dont know thus the reason for posing a question here? Vet recommended it but looking for other opinions?
The best solution appears to be to buy a cd of firework noises (you can get them to condition anxious dogs) and introduce your dog to the noises usually feeding them titbits at the same time.

Best done when the dog is a pup, but may work now.
>>Best done when the dog is a pup, but may work now.

Wish I could work out what the trigger was - when he was a pup he was absolutely fine with fireworks and loud noises. He is just about to turn 7 and it must have been around year 2 or 3 that this started. Up to that point he was fine.
>> >>Best done when the dog is a pup, but may work now.
>>
>> Wish I could work out what the trigger was - when he was a pup
>> he was absolutely fine with fireworks and loud noises. He is just about to turn
>> 7 and it must have been around year 2 or 3 that this started. Up
>> to that point he was fine.

There isn't a trigger, most dogs will develop the fear as they get older, and we as owners reinforce it by being anxious about them being anxious, so we escalate it rather than train it out before it becomes a problem.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 17 Sep 17 at 22:06
 Dog owners - thunderjackets??? - CGNorwich
How they work.

www.caninejournal.com/thunder-jacket-for-dogs/

There is also an explanations as to why they might not - just in case.

I'd never heard of psychiatric dogs trained to lie on autistic people. You learn something nes every day.
Do you think there might be any money in noise cancelling headphones for dogs?

Might be worth a go on Dragon's Den.
 Dog owners - thunderjackets??? - Old Navy
>> Vet recommended it....
>>

Does the Vet sell these jackets?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 17 Sep 17 at 21:46
>>Does the Vet sell these jackets?

No
 Dog owners - thunderjackets??? - zippy
>> >>Does the Vet sell these jackets?
>>
>> No
>>

But he has shares in the company that makes them ;-)
Last edited by: zippy on Sun 17 Sep 17 at 22:34
 Dog owners - thunderjackets??? - Dog
Never heard ovvem but, appears to help some dawgs going by the reviews:

www.amazon.co.uk/Thundershirt-EUHGXL-T01-for-Dogs-X-Large/dp/B00K163V4U/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1505666988&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=thunderjackets
 Dog owners - thunderjackets??? - R.P.
Oddly, the Springer is scared witless by loud noises, the working Cocker isn't bothered. Both from very good backgrounds...have discussed this for the Springer..He won't sit in the lounge when the telly is on.
Does the NHS know about these? They spend millions on drugs for people suffering from anxiety and stress. All they need is a tight coat. Who knew?
 Dog owners - thunderjackets??? - bathtub tom
A Labrador and a Springer frightened of fireworks - sheesh, they're supposed to be gun-dogs!

What on earth are they breeding nowadays? I thought it was bad enough with those yappy little rats so many so-called dog owners have.

Odd innit. The Springer comes from very good hunting stock. There must have been a trauma.
My Labrador as a pup wasnae feared of fireworks, became so later made worse by me fussing over it during firework time. Yet when feared of them was completely implacable on the gun line during a shoot.

Its a combo of the owner and the location.
We're not sure what spooked the Springer, next door had a party and there were Fireworks on an epic scale (for a small rural village) I always reckoned it was that night. The Cocker was unfazed. I used to walk him on Bonfire night and New Year's Eve when I first had him. He is reasonably fearless of loud noises.
 Dog owners - thunderjackets??? - sooty123
>> A Labrador and a Springer frightened of fireworks - sheesh, they're supposed to be gun-dogs!

Different things entirely, you can have a dog quite happy on the gun line but scared of fireworks.
 Dog owners - thunderjackets??? - Focal Point
"They spend millions on drugs for people suffering from anxiety and stress. All they need is a tight coat."

Would a straitjacket do?
Latest Forum Posts