Non-motoring > New Scam on Me Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 19

New Scam on Me - zippy
Got a phone call purporting to be from my energy supplier with all of the correct details, i.e. name, address, bill payer etc.

Said our gas and electricity meters needed changing as they had come to the end of their serviceable life.

First I have ever heard of that! House is 30 years old this year!

Turns out it is a telemarketing company trying to get you switched to another supplier without actually realising.

Stay safe out there.
 New Scam on Me - Mike H
...but it does happen. Our electric meter was changed out by our existing supplier when our house was around 22 years old, so not so strange. Can't remember if the gas one was as well. Are you sure your call was a scam, or is that just your deduction?
Last edited by: Mike H on Wed 20 Sep 17 at 19:04
 New Scam on Me - zippy
Happy to post the phone number if it helps anyone ID them before picking up the phone

Please let me know mods?
 New Scam on Me - zippy
It's a marketing company's number. Saying it's my supplier when it isn't.

Also we are on the TPS so they shouldn't be calling.
Last edited by: zippy on Wed 20 Sep 17 at 19:14
 New Scam on Me - henry k
>>.....Said our gas and electricity meters needed changing as they had come to the end of their serviceable life.
>>First I have ever heard of that! House is 30 years old this year!
>>
My understanding is that they must /should be changed every 10 years.
My meters have been changed
My daughters gas meter has been changed
My daughter had a letter 5 + years ago re electricity meter change but due to admin screw ups and other complications it still has not happened.

I have not changed suppliers.
 New Scam on Me - Crankcase
Our electricity meter is the one that was here when we moved in 19 years ago. No idea how old it is, but I've never heard of having to change it before. Nobody has ever suggested such a thing.

Having said that, it's not the old type with multiple dials. It does have a digital readout so it can't pre-date 1998 by that much I guess.

We also have a "Whole load of extra thick cables and grey boxes and stuff I don't understand" in there. I believe the house was once on three phase, hence remaining gubbins. Various electricians over the years haven't turned a hair though.

I half wondered about looking into what might be involved in getting it recommissioned, and having a 22kw charger for the car, but decided it was a Load of Hassle for not much benefit. A future occupier might think differently.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 20 Sep 17 at 20:52
 New Scam on Me - henry k
>>Our electricity meter is the one that was here when we moved in 19 years ago.
>> No idea how old it is, but I've never heard of having to change it before

From what I now read, meters have an accuracy expectation of about 10 years.
The companies like to change them as the accuracy fails to the benefit of the customer.
That is a great incentive to the companies to do the deed.

Gas checks are required every two years.
 New Scam on Me - Crankcase
That's interesting Henry, thanks. If it's to my benefit, that sounds like dogs, lie, sleep.

As to gas, we don't have it. It runs past the house in the road and the neighbours both sides have it, but not us. So we have oil instead.

New Scam on Me - Bromptonaut
On at least one occasion at one or other of two houses we've lived in over last 27 years a one, other or both metres have been replaced. Card through door or in post advised of necessity.. Appointment made and job done.
 New Scam on Me - bathtub tom
>>Gas checks are required every two years.

Really? Is that for rented properties, or does it include owner/occupier? Who's responsible for these checks?
 New Scam on Me - sooty123
Ours is rented and the gas checks are every two years, the plumbers come round every two years to do the checks.
 New Scam on Me - smokie
Been here a bit under 30 years and had the electric meter changed after I got the solar panels and for a year or so it was going backwards when I was generating, eventually I put my hand up to it but it was a mighty cheap year for leccy!

And a month back I had both meters swapped for smart meters by British Gas. Gave them notice last week that I'm moving to a supplier who doesn't support smart meters...
 New Scam on Me - VxFan
>> Gas checks are required every two years.

I thought it was annually? Our landlord sends someone into all their properties every year to check the gas. Also someone else comes round every year to test the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
 New Scam on Me - Pat
Our landlord does annual checks too but that doesn't include the gas meter.

Our is buried around 2' down in the front garden and accessed by a wooden lid. It's almost impossible to read it without doing a spring clean of soil and spiders first.

Pat
 New Scam on Me - Clk Sec
>> I thought it was annually?

It is...
 New Scam on Me - CGNorwich
www.gassaferegister.co.uk/help-and-advice/renting-a-property/information-for-landlords/
 New Scam on Me - henry k
The only reference I have found so far re 10 years appears to be for commercial premises

www.gov.uk/guidance/electricity-meter-certification
 New Scam on Me - Cliff Pope
>> >> I thought it was annually?
>>
>> It is...
>>

That's the statutory duty of a landlord to have an annual gas safety check. That's not the same thing as the gas company chosing to update its meter in order to maintain accuracy.
 New Scam on Me - Clk Sec
>> I thought it was annually?
>> It is...
>> That's the statutory duty of a landlord to have an annual gas safety check. That's not the same

The thread had drifted towards the responsibility of the landlord in respect of annual gas checks. Hence my response to Dave's post above.

New Scam on Me - Haywain
"...... Said our gas and electricity meters needed changing as they had come to the end of their serviceable life."

Returning to the theme of the op, we had our meter(s) changed 5 years or so ago and, not trusting the abilities of the fuel suppliers, I made sure that I noted the readings on both the new and replacement meters.

Those readings became incredibly useful 6 months or so later when I wanted to change suppliers, and the first supplier hadn't got their accounts in line with the new meters - I don't remember the exact course of events, but they were trying to base my charges on estimated readings which I knew were some £330 out. By having recorded the exact readings at changeover, I was quickly able to elevate my case to 'complaint' level and get a refund. I recall that I was told by the accounts dept, "Well, Mr H your case will come up for review next February" and, as it was September and I wasn't prepared to wait 6 months, I calmly hit the roof.

Latest Forum Posts