Non-motoring > Richmond area info Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 55

Richmond area info - legacylad
Late October a few of us are spending two nights at the Richmond Travelodge ( not the Richmond in N Yorks) the one south of Bradford. sherlock47 kindly suggested a proper cafe for breakfast, but as I have never been to that part of the world any suggestions please on places to visit, things to do? The middle ( full) day I shall catch the Tube or bus into London and visit a few galleries and/or museums.
Kew Gardens is nearby so I might give that a look, and any suggestions for eating & drinking in the evening. Cheap beer will be unavailable but personal recommendations appreciated.
 Richmond area info - Mapmaker
Syon House.
 Richmond area info - Runfer D'Hills
Once went to a water park in Richmond. Knocked myself out in a flume tube. Never been back.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Thu 21 Sep 17 at 15:20
 Richmond area info - No FM2R
Once went to a bowling place in Richmond, in an Anglia we had painted gloss black with paint we'd found in my Father's garage that afternoon.

We thought it looked more legal that way.

It didn't. And wasn't.
 Richmond area info - Zero
Ten Pin? Richmond? dont remember that in my knowledge of the place, from about 73. There was a nice ice ring just over the bridge, nearest bowling I remember was Tolworth
Mm, I did wonder when I typed, but I am *fairly* sure it was Bowling. It could have been ice skating, but I'm so entirely s*** at that I would have thought I would have remembered the bruises.

I'm guessing it was 77 or 78.

I do remember I was with the entirely gorgeous Sally. How did I lose contact with her? So sad.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 21 Sep 17 at 16:46
Huh, apparently it was ice skating. how strange, I was so sure it was bowling, but I found a photo.
Kew Steam Museum, White Cross pub.
 Richmond area info - tyrednemotional
...I was going to suggest The White Cross - check the tide tables, though ;-)
 Richmond area info - sherlock47
3 suggestions - not sure you can fit them in?

www.kayakinglondon.com/kayaking-tours/tours/

www.waterandsteam.org.uk/ in Brentford just over Kew Bridge!

www.active360.co.uk/paddleboarding-kew-bridge.htm

This has limited opening in Acton - I have been promised a visit as a Xmas present, but not yet delivered!
www.ltmuseum.co.uk/whats-on/museum-depot/guided-tours

I see that Z has been taken in by the rebranding of Brentford as North Kew and suggested the same :)

Last edited by: sherlock47 on Thu 21 Sep 17 at 15:30
 Richmond area info - henry k
>>The middle ( full) day I shall catch the Tube or bus into London
Make that the train to Waterloo or the Tube .

Are you driving or using public transport to get to Richmond?
How much time do you have ?
i.e on arrival day and departure day.

There is Richmond Theatre, walk up the hill for the famous view from Richmond Hill ( Richmond Terrace ) where several well known millionaires have homes . Mick Jagger and others
People spotting is free.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_from_Richmond_upon_Thames
We arrive Ldn Kings X around 13:30 day 1, departing Kings X 15:00 day 3.
I'm a very independent person, so will do my own thing, meeting up at a prearranged time at a pub, as is our usual modus operandi.
Different strokes for different folks. I'm happy to spend a full day in art galleries should it be wet.
Very many thanks for the suggestions.....plenty to keep me busy
Presumably Tube is the best way to get to Richmond when we arrive.... a ride on a double decker would be more interesting albeit slower.
>> We arrive Ldn Kings X around 13:30 day 1, departing Kings X 15:00 day 3.
>>
>> I'm a very independent person, so will do my own thing,
>> I'm happy to spend a full day in art galleries should it be wet.
>>
>> Presumably Tube is the best way to get to Richmond when we arrive.
Tube is slow and boring . By rail you do see some of the buildings etc.
>>
www.thetrainline.com/train-times/london-kings-cross-to-richmond/21-sep-2017/1350

Thanks that gives us a better idea of what things are doable.
As I suspected no car so ! will give it some more thought.
Any preferences ?

Richmond, walking distance from home, was my stomping ground as a yoof ( I even met SWMBO there) I know quite a few " things to do/visit/view within range but I am not up to speed with eateries etc.

Travelodge as might be expected is close to the ( semi tidal at this point) Thames
Left out of the front door follow the traffic flow to the !st traffic lights then STRAIGHT over and down the ancient narrow cobbled lane the last few yards to the river.
If it is a high tide then the river will greet you and it is a U turn.
A more interesting and less stressful way by rail journey is to go
KX to Highbury and Islington by underground (1 stop)

change to overground North London Line
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_London_line

Then Direct to Richmond.

There are many londoners who have never heard of this line! Almost as quick and you see all sorts of strange things - Z can give more details.

The frequency is less but you are in daylight after H&I

>> you see all sorts of strange things - Z can give more details.

OMG, what a railway line. My first intro to that was in the 60s, in the second mans seat of a Class 31 diesel driven by my old man on a North Woolwich, Richmond, return Broad Street diagram.

Service is now Stratford / Richmond - Broad Street since been knocked down. In those days, departure from North Woolwich was deep in the active docks full of boats unloading, then through the lower lea valley, glimpses of Alexandra palace,glimpses of Wembley, Hamstead Heath, and then it all go interesting around Willesdon Junction as it crossed the West Coast main Line and the Stonebridge Park Depot, and then immediately crossed over Old Oak Common Depot, the Hub of the GWR,

A dirty filthy line with crap rolling stock for many years, where it had three different types of traction power, Diesel, Third Rail and Overhead catenary, drivers had to stop and drop or engage the pantograph, The only line where you saw all of London from east thames to west thames.

Much more modern, now integrated into london transport, still interesting Richmond to Willesdon Junction.

Wow. Thanks for all the info. I think I'm taking on the mantle of 'Tour Leader- Transport Division'

Sounds like a great plan to get from Kings X to Richmond & return.... at the risk of sounding like a country bumpkin, what is the best way of getting tickets for this route, and getting back into central London for a full day of culture between our arrival & departure days?

>> Sounds like a great plan to get from Kings X to Richmond & return.... at
>> the risk of sounding like a country bumpkin, what is the best way of getting
>> tickets for this route, and getting back into central London for a full day of
>> culture between our arrival & departure days?

People don't get tickets down here any more. In the London Transport area you use your contactless debit card on tubes, trains and buses.
 Richmond area info - Duncan

>> People don't get tickets down here any more. In the London Transport area you use
>> your contactless debit card on tubes, trains and buses.
>>

Just make sure you contact both IN and OUT, otherwise you will be charged the maximum for that journey.
...I've got an Oyster card, but the use of 'contactless' carries much of the benefits of one of those.

The key thing to understand is that if you use the same contactless card to check in and out at the barriers/boarding/alighting points, the cost of a day's travel is capped at a given level, regardless of journeys taking it over that cost. This means that you end up getting the best deal you can for your pattern of travel, and note the system works across tube and most bus and National Rail services in Greater London. (though, if you have a bus pass, it might pay to use that on the buses for an absolutely free journey).

If you haven't got contactless, then you may be best doing pay as you go, except in the middle day when a Travelcard for zones 1-4 would work (bus/tube/train)).

You can get a visitors Oyster Card in advance (sent to home) which you can pre-load, but contactless is far less of a faff, if you have it.
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Thu 21 Sep 17 at 22:35
It's been a few years since I visited London.... last time I bought a Tube ticket for unlimited travel within specific zones.
So if Im understanding correctly, you buy a ticket for each specific journey, whether by Tube or this rail link, rather than a 3 day pass covering Tube, buses & train within certain boundaries?

Yes, I have contactless, but never used it! I'll make sure my travelling companions have the same.

Thread drift: last Sunday I had to travel from Briancon to Grenoble, where I overnighted before heading N to Geneve for the flight home. I discovered a minibus ( Ligne 35) which for the princely sum of €5 gave you a fantastic 2 3/4 hour journey gare to gare up the Serre Chevalier valley over the Col du Lauteret beside the Ecrins NP. The best value €5 of any journey I think I've ever taken.
Last edited by: legacylad on Thu 21 Sep 17 at 22:37
>> So if Im understanding correctly, you buy a ticket for each specific journey, whether by
>> Tube or this rail link, rather than a 3 day pass covering Tube, buses &
>> train within certain boundaries?
>>

No ticket, simply "touch" in and "touch" out at the start and end points.

contactless.tfl.gov.uk/
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Thu 21 Sep 17 at 22:44
Sorry, yes I meant a metaphorical ticket, as in you pay via contactless for each individual journey... rather than buying a "day pass" within zones. I assume this applies to buses also.... so how do you know how much each journey costs? When you touch "out" at the end point does it tell you?
 Richmond area info - rtj70
>> so how do you know how much each journey costs? When you touch "out" at the end point does it tell you?

You only tap in on buses and it's a fixed £1.50 per journey I seem to recall. Remember the total is capped at the end of the day.

For the tube, you pay according to zone again. But because of the cap it's the cheapest most flexible way of using buses and underground. For a Oyster/contactless payment in zone 1/2 at peak times it's £2.90 but an actual ticket would be £4.90.

EDIT: But remember to tap in and out on the underground using the same card. So don't perhaps present a wallet to the reader - I have 3 contactless cards in my wallet. Then again I tried to see what the checkout at Tesco would do if I did this... it detected multiple cards and then crashed ;)
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 21 Sep 17 at 23:20
 Richmond area info - Mapmaker
Don't buy tickets on the underground/busses/trams etc. Just tap in (and out again on trains/underground). It will automatically give you the cheapest possible deal. So if you only take two journeys it will charge you for two; if you take three it will cap you at the cost of a day travelcard. Same applies up to a weekly travelcard.

>> Sorry, yes I meant a metaphorical ticket, as in you pay via contactless for each
>> individual journey... rather than buying a "day pass" within zones. I assume this applies to
>> buses also.... so how do you know how much each journey costs? When you touch
>> "out" at the end point does it tell you?
>>

I think it's best to check the prices before travelling if it concerns you....

BUT

Using contactless will give you the best deal, whatever, and assuming you stay within Zones 1-4 for tube/train (Richmond is zone 4 I think) you should pay no more than £9.50 for a day's travel on bus/tube/rail within that area, since the cap will kick in (all implemented in programming in the underlying systems).

As elsewhere, bus is £1.50 per journey (touch in only) with a second journey for free if you start it within an hour (still touch in). If you use only bus during the day, I think the cap is £4.50.

Best not to worry and let TfL systems sort it for you. ;-)
>> I think I'm taking on the mantle of 'Tour Leader- Transport Division'
>>
A local piece of engineering short walk from Richmond.
Easy directions if you need them.
Richmond Lock, foot bridge and barrier.
The bridge IIRC is just one of two in the world the other being in Ireland.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MylKkH-j4hEOw

Every November they leave the plug out ( barriers not lowered) and the Thames sort of runs out.

tidalthames.co.uk/dec2016/4-richmond-lock-and-new-pier-blackfriars.htm
The road on the left bank often floods at high tide.
 Richmond area info - Boxsterboy
>> Much more modern, now integrated into london transport, still interesting Richmond to Willesdon Junction.
>>

I use this line often between Clapham and Stratford, and it is good with modern trains and a mostly good service. You still get goods trains and the odd Ford car transporter that seem never-ending to amuse. Sadly you also get a good view of the remains of Grenfell Tower.
>> >> Much more modern, now integrated into london transport, still interesting Richmond to Willesdon Junction.
>>You still get goods trains and the odd Ford
>> car transporter that seem never-ending to amuse.

My father used to drive the nuclear flask train from Bradwell around that line, it was dumped at Temple Mills or Willesden Junction to make up a three flask train to Winscale (as it was then) up the WCML. they used to hang around there few a few days, no-one cared our noticed. Now of course they are not left under any circumstances

As for car trains here is one I shot a year or two back

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlayDF12ehI
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 22 Sep 17 at 17:22
 Richmond area info - Hard Cheese
I used to work in Brentford, Kew Gardens is worth a visit and Kew Steam Museum is/was good. Kew Green had a couple of nice restaurants. No particular recommendations in Richmond other than that there might be something good on at the theatre and it's a characterful theatre, and the pubs that back onto the river by the bridge have great views.
Conducted tour of Twickenham rugby stadium.

www.englandrugby.com/twickenham/stadium-tours/

If you are lucky it might be me that shows you round!

View the stadium bowl, sit in the Royal Box, see the President's suite, Member's lounge, England team dressing room and go pitchside.

£20 for an adult. Cheap at half the price!
I've never been to Twickenham, despite playing RU at school and later for a local club ( Thirds only)
Definitely interested in that.
Transport seems very cheap.... the old Pennine bus from Settle to Skipton, a journey of 15 miles & 45 mins cost around £8 single!
 Richmond area info - Hard Cheese
Lots of RU around there, Harlequins are just over the road, the A316, and London Irish played just down the road in Sunbury though now play at Reading.
>> I've never been to Twickenham,
>> Definitely interested in that.
>>
If you decide to go i would suggest take the bus to Twickenham shops, then another bus to the Stadium.
I can give you the tourist info for the route if required.
>> >> I've never been to Twickenham,
>> >> Definitely interested in that.
>> >>

When are you coming South?

I am away from Oct 15th to 27th inc. If your visit is outside those dates and you are interested in visiting Twickenham stadium, pm me. I may well be able to do you a favour.
Thanks Duncan... we arrive Kings X early afternoon Monday 30/10, returning Weds 01/11 mid afternoon
I’ll be in touch on my return from Scotland week commencing 23/10.....apologies I have only just seen your post
>> Thanks Duncan... we arrive Kings X early afternoon Monday 30/10, returning Weds 01/11 mid afternoon
>> I’ll be in touch on my return from Scotland week commencing 23/10.....apologies I have only
>> just seen your post

I have been away. Got back yesterday, so only just seen your post/got smokie's email. I have replied by email to smokie and I hope I have copied you in.

Sorry about that.
No messages in either of my email accounts Duncan. Not to worry
After an incredibly muddy 10 mile walk yesterday AM in the Lake District prior to our Lakeland LDWA Group AGM at the Damson Dene Hotel, London will seem the polar opposite.
There was constant drizzle, mist and poor views for the duration...saw red deer & red squirrels though.
Blue sky today. Sod’s law
>> No messages in either of my email accounts Duncan. Not to worry

Strange.

Any road up. The long and short is that presumably because of clearing up after the NFL games and getting ready for the Baa Baas game on Saturday, Twickenham is only open for tours on Thursday. By then you will have returned to the icy wastes of God's Own County.

Another time perhaps?

I will send you a test email, just to make sure that I am not going (more) mad.
 Richmond area info - R.P.
Duncan copied the Mods in to the e-mail. I can certainly warrant it was used.
 Richmond area info - smokie
LL please confirm that your profile contains your current email address.
>>Kew Gardens is nearby so I might give that a look
>>
If you decide to go, from your Travel Lodge cross the road and go down Church Walk ( just right of the church ) to the other part of the one way system for the bus.
tinyurl.com/ybswpc3x

Just a few 5/10 minutes to the start of Kew Gardens ( Lion Gate.) and on to other gates.
Have a look at the map.
www.kew.org/kew-gardens/plan-your-visit-to-kew-gardens
Down load the map shows the gardens are very large.
The bus follows the whole length of the gardens alongside the very high wall.
 Richmond area info - zippy
Enjoyed Richmond Park which is a short walk from the station. Wish I had visited it more frequently. Lots of deer.

Hampton Court is a 15 minute taxi or about an hour on the train (about £4 each way) from Richmond.

Richmond area info - Stroudie
Has anybody reminded you that you need to register your contactless card with the tfl website before you travel?
>> Has anybody reminded you that you need to register your contactless card with the tfl
>> website before you travel?
>>

...is that true?

All the TfL information I've see implies that, though you can register for a contactless account (giving you similar facilities to a Oyster account), there is no need to do so (and that, if you don't, you can, for example, only track your usage only for the last 7 days).

There is a lot of supporting info on the web (including from Banks) saying such registration is not necessary.
 Richmond area info - zippy
I certainly didn't have to when using mine on the Tube in London a couple of weeks back.

Charges came through appropriately over a long weekend.
 Richmond area info - rtj70
I've used it quite a few times and never had to register anything. Used two cards (one for me and the other for my wife).
>> Late October a few of us are spending two nights at the Richmond Travelodge

How was it in leafy Surrey?
>> >> Late October a few of us are spending two nights at the Richmond Travelodge
>>
>>
>> How was it in leafy Surrey?

He hasn't been seen since late October. I suspect the bright lights of West London has proven to much for the northern lad.
>> He hasn't been seen since late October. I suspect the bright lights of West London
>> has proven to much for the northern lad.
>>

I reckon he has made some new friends with those nice gentlemen in the pubs off Richmond Green.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 3 Nov 17 at 10:10
The ones walking small fluffy dogs?
Have they got Chihauhaus?
Now home and safely ensconced in the land of limestone & sheep.
Many thanks to everyone who provided such useful information. Our Virgin trains were on time, (£11 each way from Leeds...a Leeds -Settle single on my return cost £12.60!)
On arrival we had a x London trek to imbibe at the Harp at Chandos Place then eventually made our way to Richmond via the Tube & overground.
Light refreshment was taken at The Britannia, White Cross & White Swan, where we also ate. Tuesday, our party of 6 went their separate ways. I caught the train to Waterloo ( good call by whoever recommended) crossed the Thames, a dreary walk along the rubbish strewn Embankment then recrossed for time in the Tate Modern. Recrossed to the Tower, over Tower Bridge then Hays Gallery? Met friends outside 20 Fenchurch Street where we had booked a table for lunch on an upper floor of the Walkie Talkie building. ( £6 for a pint of Heineken, £21 for a plate of belly pork. Holy pig)
Post lunch exercise, walking via Leadenhall Mkt & alongside the river to Vauxhall where we caught a Tube.
Wednesday a mooch around Richmond then a walk along the river to Kew Bridge & back, before catching the 15:05 train oop North, having drunk lunch in the Bree Louise and Euston Tap.
We couldn’t find any cheap breakfast spots.. the Richmond Deli up a ginnel was shuttered up so we had to go in Valeries Pastry shop and pay top dollar. No Morrison’s cafes in sight!
Home in plenty of time for ‘curry feast night’ in Settle and proper beer at sensible, sub £3 pint prices.
All good fun....walked from Ribblehead yesterday ( on the Settle Carlisle line) over Pen Y Ghent in sunshine. Wonderful 360 degree views of Pendle Hill, Morecambe Bay, Lake District fells, Howgills, Crossfell and the Dales. Away this afternoon to Hawes where were walking two sections of the Pennine Way and spending two nights.
It’s good to be back, but those house prices, the traffic, planes overhead, masses of people. Lovely to visit for a few days, but not my cup of Darjeeling.
Last edited by: legacylad on Fri 3 Nov 17 at 12:41
>>up a ginnel <<

I had to Google that. Will take it up with daughter for questionable advice!
I caught the train to
>> Waterloo ( good call by whoever recommended) crossed the Thames, a dreary walk along the
>> rubbish strewn Embankment then recrossed for time in the Tate Modern. Recrossed to the Tower,
>> over Tower Bridge then Hays Gallery?

Bad move, your walk should have been Waterloo, then along along the souht side of the river, pas the oxo tower, the tate modern, the globe, clink street, southwark cathedral, borough market, hms belfast, and then over tower bridge.

Met friends outside 20 Fenchurch Street where we had
>> booked a table for lunch on an upper floor of the Walkie Talkie building.

The Fry Scraper!

Was up there today for lunch, ugliest building in the history of creation, finest view in the world at the top. The shard is too tall for a good view.

Two meals, 4 glasses of wine, - 145 quid!
>> £6 for a pint of Heineken,

£6 for a pint, I see you found Wetherspoons then!
Latest Forum Posts