Non-motoring > As seen on TV - Volume 16   [Read only]
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 103

As seen on TV - Volume 16 - R.P.

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 17 *****

==============================================================

A place to discuss what's on TV that might be of interest to others. (exc. Top Gear, F1, for example - which have threads of their own)

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 30 Jul 18 at 10:36

Occupied - sooty123
Anyone watched this, just on episode 3 now. Basic premise is Russia invades norway as it refuses to export anymore oil. It's a norwegian production with subtitles. Its pretty good so far, not outstanding but a bit of a twist and turn plot wise.

Occupied - zippy
Saw it last year, it is very good!

Is there a new series?

Occupied - sooty123
No, it's on demand on now tv. They've normally got a list of stuff from the last couple of years.

Occupied - R.P.
I enjoyed that. Good ending. It was ripe for a second series though

Occupied - R.P.
Looks as if it's on the way...premiering in Norway this month.

Professor T - No FM2R
Anybody got an opinion on this one?

www.imdb.com/title/tt3823996/

Professor T - zippy
Sounds a bit like "Monk" (www.imdb.com/title/tt0312172)

Professor T - No FM2R
>> Sounds a bit like "Monk"

I really enjoyed Monk, though it got a bit silly towards the end.

Professor T - smokie
I once found a list of lots of mainly Scandinavian crime drama and put the lot in as wishlists in TiVo, which means it will record anything which matches the words (you can do it by title, actor, description etc).

Professor T was one of them, it seems to be shown irregularly, 2 episodes on occasional; Saturdays. I enjoy it, a bit quirky but better than quite a bit of the other rubbish which is on.

Professor T - smokie
Just watched he last few episodes of series 1 of Professor T. Got weirder and weirder as it went along. So much so that I'm not sure I'd bother with a second series, if one came along.

Deutschland 83 - zippy
Out at the same time as Occupied, this was quite enjoyable as well...

www.imdb.com/title/tt4445154
Last edited by: zippy on Sat 28 Oct 17 at 21:28

Deutschland 83 - R.P.
Brilliantly made.

Deutschland 83 - Boxsterboy
Yes, the attention to detail in the cars, clothing, settings and background music was first class. My mother-in-law is from East Germany, came here after the war but has many friends still there, and she found it fascinating.

Deutschland 83 - sooty123
I watched it when it was on ch 4. A very good show, just about the right length. A very good feel to it, all the music, clothes and the background elements of the script set the scene in the 80s cold war Germany.

Deutschland 83 - R.P.
Quite a few people I know where in UK (and Dutch) forces at that time. My Dutch friend was guarding a NATO nuclear missile base in the Netherlands...he said he was **** scared.

Liar - zippy
Just watched this over the last few evenings. It is very good, even if the if some of the details aren't perfect.

Last edited by: zippy on Mon 30 Oct 17 at 21:56

Liar - rtj70
We finished watching it last week. Thought it was good too. Not perfect but for UK drama above average.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 30 Oct 17 at 22:18

Liar - R.P.
Police procedures were way out, even if providing for dramatic effect.

Liar - smokie
It was mentioned here last week, just after I'd seen the first two. Watched the rest over the weekend and enjoyed it but not as much as some others.

Comedy - CGNorwich
Detectorists is back with a new series at ten on BBC 4. If it's as good as the last two series it will be great.

Watched the new comedy Motherland last night. Again absolutely brilliant. Good to have some decent comedy which is not stand up or panel show.

Comedy - Dog
>>Detectorists is back with a new series at ten on BBC 4

Ah yes, must set up the Humax for that.

>> If it's as good as the last two series it will be great.

De acuerdo.

Detectorists - zippy
>>Detectorists is back with a new series at ten on BBC 4. If it's as good as the last two series it will be great.

Thanks for putting me on to this.

SWMBO likes it too, which is a bonus.

Detectorists - bathtub tom
>>Detectorists is back with a new series at ten on BBC 4. If it's as good as the last two series it will be great.

You'll need to use iplayer to catch up with the first couple of episodes of this series.

Don't mention the magpies!

Comedy - zippy
>>Motherland....

Damn you! :-)

The Mrs loves it. Downloaded it the other day and had to sit through 5 episodes almost non-stop.

Mrs thinks its a documentary on her life bringing up kids!

Comedy - R.P.
I binged on it as well. Brilliantly made

Paddington 2 - zippy
Saw Paddington 2 tonight.

Well worth a watch. Innocent humour, not quite the magic of the original though. The scene played with the credits is good.

7/10.

Paddington 2 - CGNorwich
Booked tickets for tomorrow afternoon

Paddington 2 - CGNorwich
Excellent film played to a full house this wet and windy afternoon. I actually thought it just as good as the original. Hugh Grant was brilliant as a failed actor - he seems to be making that role his own.

Highly recommended

Paddington 2 - zippy
Hugh Grant was good. I enjoy it when an actor deliberately plays the bad guy in a very pantomime-ish way.

I am looking forward to Paddington 3!

I don't think some people here will enjoy it though because it is about a foreigner, who is an illegal immigrant obtaining work without the proper documents!

:-)

Paddington 2 - CGNorwich
It did indeed have a message of tolerance as did the original.

Motherland. - R.P.
First class.

White Princess - sooty123
Started watching this on Drama a couple of weeks ago, quite enjoying it so far. Covers the period just after the war of the roses.

(moves to correct place, as per the "please note" message at the start of this thread)
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 30 Nov 17 at 02:03

White Princess - Crankcase
Oh, don't know that one. Thanks, sooty, will have a look.

Regeneration - No FM2R
Best. Regeneration. Episode. Ever.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 26 Dec 17 at 02:22

Wolf Hall - zippy
If you missed it first time round the six part series is on iPlayer until mid January.

Superbly scripted and wonderfully acted.

Wolf Hall - Zero
And I can recommend a visit to Barrington Court in Somerset where it was filmed, and lunch or dinner at the Barrington Boar pub

The Biggest Little Railway in The World - Robin O'Reliant
One to watch tomorrow (Sunday 7th) on C4, "The Biggest Little Railway in The World". A team of enthusiasts attempt to build an O Gauge model railway from Fort William to Inverness, 71 miles in length.

First of five parts, it should be a fascinating project that will appeal to all us overgrown schoolboys here.

EDIT: Damn, forgot to change the title, if a mod could oblige please.

you also forgot to reply to the topmost post - as per the "Please Note" request as well ;)
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 7 Jan 18 at 19:48

The Biggest Little Railway in The World - bathtub tom
It would appear to be a model steam engine running on it. I wonder how often they had to replenish water and fuel?

Hard Sun - No FM2R
Anybody got any comments about "Hard Sun"?

I don't know whether its worth it or not, and the reviews are varied.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 14 Jan 18 at 04:09

Hard Sun - R.P.
Watched Episode 1. Failed the Mrs RP test but I'll check out the others. Some episodes filmed on Anglesey.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 14 Jan 18 at 04:09

Hard Sun - smokie
I just watched episode 1 on catchup, enjoyed it, quite violent in places but it's a shame the story line seems to be going in a direction which might make it less than enjoyable for me. Only cos I like realism.

I am generally becoming more impressed with this kind of drama. For years I didn't really watch much telly, then I didn't watch much except comedy. but I can now add drama to my repertoire. Still have difficulty sitting in front of it for too long at any one time.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 14 Jan 18 at 04:10

Hard Sun - rtj70
Our preferred drama tends to be Scandinavian, French and occasionally Spanish. Currently recording the new series of Spiral and Braquo was good before.

Did watch a Chilean series which was violent but it started to get really unbelievable.

The UK/French remake of the Bridge was okay - last series of the Tunnel ended on Sky towards the end of 2017.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 14 Jan 18 at 04:08

Hard Sun - smokie
I like the Scandi stuff and I found a whole list of programmes (I think it was www.channel4.com/collection/walter-presents ) so I used the TiVo feature which you can out in a search string and it wil record anything which matches that.

I ended up with one episode of Dicte, and one or two other odd episodes, but having looked into it the other day it seems I have missed whole series of other stuff, some of which may be available on All 4. Seems my oh-so-smart TV doesn't get All 4, nor does TiVo, and you can't cast it from your Android to the TV but I also have an old-fashioned computer attached to the telly so will get to watch them through that. all being well.
Last edited by: R.P. on Sun 14 Jan 18 at 10:38

Hard Sun - Duncan
>> I like the Scandi stuff and I found a whole list of programmes (I think
>> it was www.channel4.com/collection/walter-presents so I used the TiVo feature which you can out in a
>> search string and it wil record anything which matches that.

That link doesn't work for me. It seems to include the final bracket ')'.

Fixed it. RP
Last edited by: R.P. on Sun 14 Jan 18 at 10:37

Taboo - R.P.
er...Ridley Scott...so beautifully crafted, if rather strange.

Taboo - Fullchat
I took the hit of all 6 episodes on Iplayer.

It does have a somewhat bizarre storyline in the background but stick with it.

League of Gentlemen - rtj70
Can't believe how long it's been since the original series... only watched one episode so far of the new 3 partner.... Just like it was I suppose.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 14 Jan 18 at 01:23

Hacksaw Ridge - devonite
Watched this one last night, - very good film, (supposed to be based on a true story). One of the best War films I think I've seen.

Hacksaw Ridge - R.P.
Oddly, found myself talking about it earlier (WW1 book launch) - good tale well told. Bought the book on the strength of it. In my reading pile.

Homeland - smokie
I know this is an old programme but we've recently got access to Netflix and have binge-watched the first five series. Each is 12 x 50 minute episodes and we've done each series over 3 or 4 nights.

I said somewhere else how I'm now enjoying drama - I never ever expected to enjoy American drama but this is a great programme. Their budget must have been pretty sizeable too!!

Channel 4 have a new series coming up soon - series 7 I think, and Netflix doesn't have 6 so I will need to find that somewhere.

Recommended!!

Homeland - sooty123
I enjoyed the first series and the second was quite good but the third felt it was a series too far and stopped mid way thorough that series.
One of those programs that start as a one off but it keep going on for too long, like 24.

Homeland - R.P.
US drama has improved a lot in recent years.

Dexter - zippy
Currently binge watching this. Haven't seen it before, though it has been out for a few years. I guess some of you will have seen it first time around.

It's sort of a black comedy about a serial killer who works for the police and only kills bad guys and lasses.

It is very funny and very sick and you will be "rooting" for the serial killer!

Panorama - Haywain
Interesting Panorama examining the degree of cultural integration in Britain. Televised on 22/01/18, and now available on i-player

tinyurl.com/y8v4tgkb

Rrquiem - CGNorwich
Watched first episode of this tonight and quite enjoyed it. Sort of spooky supernatural crime mystery. Remimded me of a Hammer Horror film but a bit more classy.

Interestingly you don't have to wait until next week for the next episode if you don't want to as the BBC have released the whole series simultaneously on IPlayer.

McMafia - Hard Cheese
Eight part series on BBC, available on iPlayer, apparently had a big budget and it has a Hollywood blockbuster feel to it, interesting characterisations, well worth a watch. Centres around international money laundering, drug cartels, long running vendettas etc, very good.

McMafia -Spiral - sherlock47
Good light hearted entertainment - almost 'Silent Witness' appeal with a an expensive international twist.

A good follow up to Night Manager, I feel that the program was made/commissioned by a group who fancied some corporately funded exotic travel. The most recent episode (5?)had a tighter feel to it than earlier episodes.

But for me 'Spiral' on BBC4, now finished, but on Iplayer I believe , still wins by a mile for feel and involvement. Maybe because I relate better to Paris than Tel Aviv :)

Last edited by: sherlock47 on Tue 6 Feb 18 at 09:08

Posh Pawn - Channel 4 - Duncan
Posh Pawn - Channel 4 7p.m. Sunday.

It's awful. You must watch it. I have never seen so many daft egomaniacs.

I find it quite compulsive.

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi - Dog
One for the Humax etc.

www.tvguide.co.uk/detail/2384447/135598131/13-hours-the-secret-soldiers-of-benghazi-2016

Still Game Series 8 - rtj70
For those who liked Still Game, series 8 starts on Thursday. Just a heads up.

One of the regulars gets killed off next week though! Well dies at least.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 5 Mar 18 at 19:37

Still Game Series 8 - bathtub tom
I thoroughly enjoyed that series, particularly the 'meat pie' episode, although I confess to having the subtitles on.

Still Game Series 8 - rtj70
First watched series 7 and then got the box set for series 1-6 and Xmas/New Year specials for Christmas 2016.

We enjoyed this series but some of the older ones were funnier still.

Locked up ! - Ted

Not TV but YouTube. Dammit, Dammit, Dammit. Came across episode 1 of Prisoner Cell Block H and just had to watch it ! I've bookmarked episode two and now I fear I'm going to have to waste a large part of my dwindling lifespan watching all 96 thousand episodes....or so it seems.

Dammit !

Is any counselling available ?

Sneaky Pete - legacylad
On Amazon Video...not seen it myself but highly recommended by friends. The storyline looks good, and I might have to get membership and binge watch ( as I did with Breaking Bad)

Gomorrah - sooty123
Just finished watching series 3, as good as the others. Brilliant really good story line and plenty of twists and turns.

GF Newman's Law & Order - Robin O'Reliant
Started on BBC 4 last Thursday with episode 1 of 4, "A Detectives Tale", which you'll find on iplayer. The series is based on GF Newman's books and was shown in 1978 but never again until now because of the outrage it caused among the police and in Parliament. It shows the police as corrupt, not too fussy about planting evidence on villains or taking the odd back hander. No good if you want gung ho action, but a fascinating look at how police, criminals, prisons and the legal system operated back then. It paints a darker picture than was probably true, but from what we have learnt over the years not by too much. I read the books at the time (Now sadly out of print) and saw the original series which was groundbreaking for it's day and is still worth a watch.

Episode two, "A Villains Tale" is next Thursday at 10pm.

GF Newman's Law & Order - R.P.
Very good. Watched it just now.

Hello Jumbo - R.P.
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p041byzm/tuesday-documentary-jumbo

Beeb have put this excellent programme on the then new 747 on their archive site. Well worth watching.

Talking Pictures Sky 342 - R.P.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talking_Pictures_TV

Nice little channel. Some great and little known British films. Love them. Worse ways to pass an hour or two

Talking Pictures Sky 342 - Manatee
>> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talking_Pictures_TV

Agreed. Some toe curlers too but even those are often interesting for the history on view.

Some really good films, often 'B' pictures. I prefer a lot of them to modern films and 'box sets' that just go on too long. Those old films got to the point and could tell a good story in 80-90 minutes.

Talking Pictures Sky 342 - Zero
Love it, been watching for a while now. A lot of stuff comes out of "Merton Studios", a place I had never heard of nor knew existed, even having worked nearby and passed the site a lot in the early 70s. Some real old classic Uk TV as well.

Talking Pictures Sky 342 - R.P.
Jack Hawkins...Man in the Sky. Brilliant.

As heard on Radio - Rivers of Blood - Bromptonaut
Anyone else listen to last night's re-enactment of and commentary on Enoch Powell's famous speech?

Bit underwhelmed myself but need to listen again when I'm less shattered/under influence of Ricard.....

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 15 Apr 18 at 20:26

As heard on Radio - Rivers of Blood - CGNorwich
Where did you buy Ricard? Can't seem to buy it here any more, only Pernod.

As heard on Radio - Rivers of Blood - Bromptonaut
>> Where did you buy Ricard? Can't seem to buy it here any more, only Pernod.

France. Need to purchase Ricard, Pelforth Brune/Blonde and various comestibles are reasons places near Channel Tunnel get regular bookings for my caravan.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 15 Apr 18 at 21:38

As heard on Radio - Rivers of Blood - Clk Sec
>> Where did you buy Ricard? Can't seem to buy it here any more, only Pernod.
>>

Looks like it's available at Amazon, with free delivery.

Who wants to be a Millionaire ? - R.P.
Jeremy's new old show. Quite enjoyable last nigh, especially with one contestant who was a good foil for JC's humour. Sad it's come to this really, first class motoring journalist at one time.

Who wants to be a Millionaire ? - Clk Sec
I think JC did an excellent job, with plenty of cheeky humour thrown in. I'll be watching them all.

Who wants to be a Millionaire ? - Duncan
>> Sad it's come to this really, first class motoring journalist
>> at one time.

Try not to distress yourself too much.

I don't doubt he is being handsomely rewarded.

Who wants to be a Millionaire ? - No FM2R
Is motoring journalist to TV presenter a downwards step?

I'd have definitely thought upwards. Especially the money.

And i agree, I thought he did a great job.

Who wants to be a Millionaire ? - DP
He's an excellent presenter, and very funny. His guest slots on Have I Got News For You were similarly good.

Who wants to be a Millionaire ? - R.P.
Try not to distress yourself too much.

I loved his pre-Top Gear scribblings, but as you suggest I suppose it's right to follow the money.

The Crash Detectives BBC - Duncan
Now on iplayer.

Four episodes. Fascinating stuff.

It's a tinyurl link. Don't worry, it won't bite.

tinyurl.com/y9pwkfwu

A Very English Scandal - Duncan
Series of three episodes finished last night (Sunday).

Wonderful stuff. The British - especially the English - at their best/worst. High drama/farce. If you made it up people wouldn't believe it.

Followed on BBC4 by a documentary by Tom Mangold made in 1979 and now updated. Because Thorpe got off (How!?) it was not shown at the time.

The Heddlu travelled 150 miles to interview Newton now living in Dorking to find that he wasn't in! The Welsh police (why the Welsh police?) thought that he was dead. People in Dorking knew who he was and where he lived!

I feel so proud to be English.

A Very English Scandal - Runfer D'Hills
Yes it was very good. It certainly improved my view of Hugh Grant as an actor. I've always quite liked him, but had regarded him as bit lightweight. I thought he played Thorpe very convincingly.

A Very English Scandal - Bromptonaut
Yet to see the final episode or the documentary but certainly found the first two enjoyable and convincing. The actor playing Josiffe/Scott was very good too although some observers say the real Scott was less neurotic.

There's an interesting piece on the Guardian website about the acquittal and stuff that might have played on the jury's mind. For all that Mr Justice Cantley's summing up was beyond parody Bessell and Newton were reportedly utterly unconvincing. A double your money if guilty deal for a story sold to the papers was another factor.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jun/02/thorpe-scandal-legacy-law-new-statesman-jury-service-secrecy

I'd guess the Welsh force was chosen as independent of original investigation. Common enough when there's a complaint but why Gwent rather than say a northern English force is a mystery unless there's some sort of cab rank principle.

As has been widely reported a bit of Googling would have turned up the Hann Redwin alias. I've half a recollection that there was a report in the mid nineties that a pilot flying Handley Page Heralds on a freight service to the Channel Islands was actually Newton.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 4 Jun 18 at 10:17

A Very English Scandal - Manatee
I assume the story is based on what came out in court and is essentially true.

Whilst I realise bad character can afflict all classes, I do sometimes think that the Eton has a lot to answer for and surely does peculiar things to people:) Instilling confidence is one thing but there seems to be a blurry line between that and a belief in entitlement. I'd been reading the book before the TV series started - not sure if it's the book of the film or vice versa - I suspect the former as it is nearly word for word identical. I shuddered when I read the bit where Thorpe stated that Scott had to be "got rid of".

A Very English Scandal - Duncan
I have just read 'Fighters and Quitters' by Theo Barclay, in which Thorpe gets a chapter. It really does make you shake your head in disbelief.

The thing that puzzles me more than anything is Thorpe writing love letters to Scott - in the days when homosexual activities were still illegal!
Last edited by: Duncan on Mon 4 Jun 18 at 17:58

A Very English Scandal - Manatee
See above. These people think they can do anything and seem to be able to persuade those around them too - including being Prime Minister and Foreign Secretary even when it is clearly well beyond their abilities.

A Very English Scandal - No FM2R
If we made actual ability a prerequisite it'd be a pretty barren field of choice.

A Very English Scandal - R.P.
It's odd that Gwent was tasked with cold casing this one, bearing in mind that some of the original suspects were from Newport (which is in Gwent)

The Man in the High Castle - Season 3 - rtj70
Season 3 is imminent for those who enjoyed the first two.

Trailer here:

tinyurl.com/Man-High-Castle-S3
Last edited by: R.P. on Mon 30 Jul 18 at 00:07

The Man in the High Castle - Season 3 - R.P.
Great - the first two were brilliant. I read the book recently (well last year) - they work better on the TV version.

Just watched "6 Days" on Netflix. Story of the SAS siege busters 1980. Seemed pretty well done.

I'll take a look at 6 days. Thanks.

Always wonder where they store the old cars and vans etc. used in these productions - assume there's a large warehouse somewhere.

Ironic (to me) that Martin Shaw (Doyle) is in 6 Days.... because Lewis Collins (Bodey) was in an 80s SAS film (Who Dares Wins) inspired by this siege.

The Man in the High Castle - Season 3 - No FM2R
This is the US site, I can't find the UK one at the moment, but there is one.

www.movietimecars.com

I know they also rely on private owners to provide cars because I spent day in the 80s on a set with my uncle's car parked up in the background. So got to watch, eat and mingle with the stars. Some arrogant 'stars' pushed in at the front to the queue for food.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 30 Jul 18 at 00:50

>> Always wonder where they store the old cars and vans etc

Etc includes kitchens, sinks, cookers, light switches etc. :-)

Who Dares Wins was a better film IMHO from the bit I've watched of 6 Days.

Who Dares Wins was a better film IMHO from the bit I've watched of 6 Days.

Fiction is usually better than factual. The breaking of the siege was a remarkable skill at arms. The film seemed pretty true to what I'd read and seen before (down to the Honda Melody parked at the railings)

>> Fiction is usually better than factual

It might be accurate but there was little tension/drama and in real life I am sure there was lots.

You're right of course. It had 90 minutes to make its point. The actor that played the BBC Head of Bravery - milked it for all it's worth.

The Man in the High Castle - Season 3 - Zero
I was so disgusted by the hamfisted and clearly out of character end to season one, I have refused to watch the follow ups

Latest Forum Posts