Non-motoring > AWACS Plane Landing at Manchester Airport Miscellaneous
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 12

AWACS Plane Landing at Manchester Airport - rtj70
Any ideas why a short while ago I saw an AWACS plane overhead, on a flight path to Manchester airport? I wonder where it came from or will be heading to next.
 AWACS Plane Landing at Manchester Airport - Bromptonaut
>> Any ideas why a short while ago I saw an AWACS plane overhead, on a
>> flight path to Manchester airport? I wonder where it came from or will be heading
>> to next.

They occasionally land land at civil airports for 'reasons'; probably mostly training. Years ago I saw one pop out of the murk and land at East Midlands. I'm pretty sure Leeds/Bradford's had one at least touch and go too.
 AWACS Plane Landing at Manchester Airport - Stuartli
Might well be the reason.

However, this video of an Antolov 225 taking off from Manchester is truly awesome - just how the wings don't fall off in view of it having six engines (plus presumably being full of fuel) is beyond comprehension...:-)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYF6fYteIq8
 AWACS Plane Landing at Manchester Airport - Zero
The wings don't fall off because aerodynamic lift is supporting them
Not when it's on the ground they ain't....:-) :-)
 AWACS Plane Landing at Manchester Airport - Haywain
"Not when it's on the ground they ain't....:-) :-)"

It do if it be windy enough!

;-)
 AWACS Plane Landing at Manchester Airport - henry k
Not bad for an aircraft that was scrapped but dragged out of the bone yard and refurbished.
It is the only one in flying condition.
 AWACS Plane Landing at Manchester Airport - zippy
>> Any ideas why a short while ago I saw an AWACS plane overhead, on a
>> flight path to Manchester airport? I wonder where it came from or will be heading
>> to next.
>>

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsioB82Djn0
 AWACS Plane Landing at Manchester Airport - neiltoo
The inner engines get very close to the ground as it turns towards the end of the clip.
 AWACS Plane Landing at Manchester Airport - Bromptonaut
>> The inner engines get very close to the ground as it turns towards the end
>> of the clip.

The AWACS is based on the Boeing 707 which was of course designed originally for much slimmer turbojets. The high bypass turbofans on the AWACS have a substantially larger diameter and may well have needed modified mountings for even the currently acceptable ground clearance.
 AWACS Plane Landing at Manchester Airport - rtj70
Thanks zippy... so it's come for a bit of a repaint. Seems one came here in 2016 for the same at Air Livery Ltd.

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/royal-air-force-boeing-manchester-11135412

And another earlier this year:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=so3zRnDf60Q
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 5 Nov 17 at 17:43
Another takeoff by the Antolov 225, this time at Zurich, with some brave airport workers filming it:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jALTAeHLbQ&t=242
 AWACS Plane Landing at Manchester Airport - Hard Cheese
Did you know that we have recently bought three RC-135W Rivet Joint aircraft from the Americans under project Airseeker, they are converted KC-135 tankers and the airframes are all at least 50 years old. The electronic monitoring systems are however very advanced.

The KC-135 is a tanker that is related to the 707 though they were in fact both developed separately from the Dash 80 prototype.

Edit: The AWACS are the Boeing E-3 Sentry which is based on the 707 rather than the C-135/KC-135.
Last edited by: Hard Cheese on Mon 6 Nov 17 at 18:13
Latest Forum Posts