Non-motoring > Employer Tracking You on Your Company Phone? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 27

Employer Tracking You on Your Company Phone? - Robin O'Reliant
Here you go -

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/27/australian-sacked-skipping-work-using-crisp-packet-hide-whereabouts/
 Employer Tracking You on Your Company Phone? - Pat
There are a lot easier ways of blocking a tracker than that....ask any lorry driver!

Pat
 Employer Tracking You on Your Company Phone? - zippy
I have a company issue iPhone and we are required to keep it with us.

I don't after work or at the weekends unless I travel on somewhere right after work.

If I found out they were tracking me I would be livid as it's a clear invasion of privacy.

I do note that the phone is totally controlled by the company in the same way that a company laptop is, we can't change many of the settings for example.

If anyone commented on where I was over the weekend or otherwise, from tracking data, then I think I would be making a complaint to the Information Commissioner or whatever they are called nowadays.

Last edited by: zippy on Mon 27 Nov 17 at 18:31
 Employer Tracking You on Your Company Phone? - Old Navy
>> I do note that the phone is totally controlled by the company in the same
>> way that a company laptop is, we can't change many of the settings for example.
>>

Does the off function work? :-)
>>Does the off function work? :-)

If only it were that simple!

We get messages sent regularly to test response times in case of emergency and have to reply. Sometimes there are sent at weekends and at night (I only work 9-5 but the business is 24/7 worldwide).

If there is a disaster, I am required to turn up somewhere. No idea where though - I haven't been told. Crazy really 'cause I'm just an underling in a finance co.
Last edited by: zippy on Mon 27 Nov 17 at 19:09
 Employer Tracking You on Your Company Phone? - sooty123
> We get messages sent regularly to test response times in case of emergency and have
>> to reply. Sometimes there are sent at weekends and at night (I only work 9-5
>> but the business is 24/7 worldwide).

Is it automated or is someone sending them all out manually? I've done and do call out/standby, I know a fair few others that do it as well. I don't think I've ever heard of checking to see if people answer the phone by messaging them.

Do you have a response time, what happens if you don't respond in time or not at all?
>> Is it automated or is someone sending them all out manually? I've done and do
>> call out/standby, I know a fair few others that do it as well. I don't
>> think I've ever heard of checking to see if people answer the phone by messaging
>> them.
>>
>> Do you have a response time, what happens if you don't respond in time or
>> not at all?
>>

As far as I know it's automated.

Within the hour and then a stand down message is received. If it were a real emergency then location details are sent. No one in the team know why we get these as we don't have a base to work from and don't know how to use the company's day - to - day systems.
>> As far as I know it's automated.
>>
>> Within the hour and then a stand down message is received. If it were a
>> real emergency then location details are sent. No one in the team know why we get these as we don't have a base to work from and don't know how
>> to use the company's day - to - day systems.
>>

Sounds like you've been added unnecessarily to the call out system. Have you ever been called properly?
 Employer Tracking You on Your Company Phone? - No FM2R
>>Sounds like you've been added unnecessarily to the call out system.

I'd go with "wrongly" rather than "unnecessarily", but yes it does sound like that.

Can you check? Or has this process been implemented by someone who does not understand what its for?
>> Can you check? Or has this process been implemented by someone who does not understand
>> what its for?
>>

That's what I was thinking, possibly an over reaction to something that happened years ago.

Yes I'd certainly check, I'd find being checked on for a call out I had little knowledge of and no role in quite annoying.
>>Yes I'd certainly check,

We did that a couple of years ago and were told that it was necessary as we had skills others didn't.

Time to re-visit I think!
Missed the edit, I probably stop replying to them, there's no real need to respond. Plus you might well find out why you've been added.
 Employer Tracking You on Your Company Phone? - Bromptonaut
>> If only it were that simple!
>>
>> We get messages sent regularly to test response times in case of emergency and have
>> to reply.

In the Qango we were required to have a disaster recovery plan. It was pretty straightforward and simply required us to cancel any immediate meetings at affected premises and keep in touch by phone/email so as to deal with urgent business until even state was restored.

Lost count of number of times I was asked when it was last tested as though it mattered if appointed member x's mobile number was out of date.

I cannot remember for sure, but I think....

>>If I found out they were tracking me I would be livid as it's a clear invasion of privacy.

Of course they are tracking the phone, and I believe that they are completely entitled to do so, its their equipment. - 24x7.

>>If anyone commented on where I was over the weekend or otherwise, from tracking data,

And that is the point. What is very strictly governed is what they may use that data for and who may know it. So you would most certainly have a complaint there.

Was it me and I cared, I would be using a private phone out of work and simply forwarding one to the other if it made my life simpler.
>> I would be using a private phone out of work and simply forwarding one to the other if it made
>> my life simpler.

I do use a personal phone, because we have to repay private calls - they are itemised on a website - and I can't be bothered to tick private and business calls and don't want them recording what I'm saying to loved ones or other.

The next invasion would be what if the phone was recording private conversations - we know devices like TVs and Echo constantly listen.
Can you claim business calls made on your private phone?
>>Can you claim business calls made on your private phone?

We are not allowed to use private phones for business use.

There was a recent panic when it was realised that IT contractors were using their own laptops / devices and they are now banned from bringing them in to the offices.

We may have to loan locked gown computers to companies working on our behalf in the field!
 Employer Tracking You on Your Company Phone? - nice but dim
I'm an IT manager for a medium sized company with around 80-90 company mobiles.

For iphones I use a product called Meraki which loads an management app on the phone that cant remotely erase the phone, reset a forgotten screen code or pinpoint the devices location if required to.

For android, I use the Android manager (native to Android) which can do most of the above other than unlock a locked phone/tablet.

Meraki doesnt tell me where the phone has been previously but Android Manager does if I dig around in the timeline settings, we administer all iCLoud and Google accounts for the phones - personal ones arent allowed although users can install free apps if they wish.

Phones arent locked down - too much hassle to administer and I think it slows the phone down.

I dont (or have been asked to) track an employees movements. I have been askled in three years twice to check locations of employyes late for work and on both occasions the pinpoint wasnt that accurate. I put this down to the location based method not being realtime.

Both of these can be defeated by going into airplane mode or turning off location i believe.
 Employer Tracking You on Your Company Phone? - Runfer D'Hills
I couldn't care less if my employer wanted to track me. Having said that, the only person who would want to know where I was is me really, and sometimes it would be quite handy to be able to check.

My boss doesn't give a fig where I am and even when I tell him he forgets. All he wants to know from time to time is how much money I've made for him to count !
;-)
 Employer Tracking You on Your Company Phone? - tyrednemotional
>> Having said that, the only person who would want to know where I was is me really, and sometimes it would be >>quite handy to be able to check.
>>
........age catching up?.....
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Mon 27 Nov 17 at 21:15
Something is. But I do know where I am most of the time, usually it's disappearing up my own fundament... ;-)
Unless you're being facetious and are already aware, it may interest you to know that you can check.
The smiley was supposed to be a clue...
Oh, I thought that was referring to the boss bit. Not that I really notice smileys, I'm afraid.
 Employer Tracking You on Your Company Phone? - Ted

Blimey....I'm so glad I'm a retired Luddite.

Went for lunch with friends on Friday to a local place called Alberts. Very nice.

Woke up in the morning to find a text on my portable telephone to ' Rate your visit to Alberts '. I hadn't used the phone while I was there, someone else had booked the table and we paid the bill in folding. Who's been spying ? I assume it was to do with the phone's SatNav. If so why did it assume I was in there and not just sat outside on the pavement begging for loose change ?
>> If so why did it assume I was in there

Someone gave them your number?

Though I understand there is equipment to spoof mobiles in to thinking that they are communicating with a base station.
My guess is that you have Facebook on your phone.
 Employer Tracking You on Your Company Phone? - Duncan

>> I assume it was to do with the phone's SatNav. If so why
>> did it assume I was in there and not just sat outside on the pavement
>> begging for loose change ?
>>

Because it knows that your street begging days are Monday and Wednesday - not Friday.

I hope this helps.
Latest Forum Posts