Non-motoring > Freshening up kitchen furniture Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 25

Freshening up kitchen furniture - smokie
Anyone had their kitchen cupboards etc "repainted"?

Someone I know is having it done today but I'm not convinced it's something which would last very long. Theirs is a quite large kitchen and cost is about £4k.

In their instance, this is the company doing the work www.spectrumcoatings.co.uk/services/repainting-kitchen-cabinets/
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 28 Nov 17 at 11:34
 Freshening up kitchen furniture - Runfer D'Hills
Did it myself a few years back. Very easy to do with what I think was called "melamine" paint. Cost whatever a couple of tins of that did. Lasted the 8 years we remained in that house anyway.
 Freshening up kitchen furniture - Old Navy
£4K! It costs way less than that to have my whole house painted.
 Freshening up kitchen furniture - Stuartli
Another method is to replace the kitchen units' doors and other embelishments - much cheaper than a full refit.
 Freshening up kitchen furniture - zippy
>> Another method is to replace the kitchen units' doors and other embelishments - much cheaper
>> than a full refit.
>>

Did that about 4 years back. Seriously cheaper, especially as I got some end of line doors when they were on sale at B&Q. Cost £10 per door and about £5 per door for compatible fittings.

Generally sizes are standard but hinges may vary.
 Freshening up kitchen furniture - Cliff Pope
>> £4K! It costs way less than that to have my whole house painted.
>>

You can buy an awful lot of paint for that. Try B&Q.
 Freshening up kitchen furniture - TheManWithNoName
My parents painted their cupboards. Looked ok for a few years but after a while the paint starts to chip and gets streaked with water or grease.
Now they're keeping the carcasses and just changing the doors and having soft close hinges fitted.
Still cheaper than a new kitchen.
Yeah I'm not quite in the market for any option yet but I am doubtful about the longevity of the paint. My daughter had her very small kitchen done a couple of years back. The installer recommended IKEA carcasses as they were the best fit, and the doors from an online supplier. They worked out slightly cheaper than "off the shelf" (haha) doors and were supposedly "made to fit".

My problem, although I've not really looked at it properly, would be that the existing kitchen is oak (effect, probably rather than the real thing) and it is large, and we have quite a few end display bits and shelves which are not cupboards as such. I suppose a half decent carpenter could deal (haha again) with that though, if I were to just change the doors.
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 28 Nov 17 at 16:20
 Freshening up kitchen furniture - legacylad
I spent a few years recently working in a small DIY store, and got to use the paint mixing machines, lots of fun with different finishes and experimentation. I digress.
We sold Rust-Oleum furniture paint. Bought by both professional decorators and DIYers. Their range covered lots of cupboard finishes... melamine, laminate, solid wood, veneer etc.
I learnt that many people give a light surface sanding for a key, then paint on two different colours, one on top of the other. Then a further light sanding using a 200/400 grade paper to bring out the first coat...it might be called chavvy chick or something, but I saw a number of finished results and was highly impressed.
Get some old cupboard doors from somewhere and experiment before committing to colours on your own units.
SWMBO has seen pics of the company's progress yesterday and she, but maybe more importantly the kitchen owners, are more impressed than they expected to be with the initial result. He is a building surveyor type I believe so I would imagine has fairly high expectations.

Whether it lasts is another matter, but at the price - for what I'm hearing is a pretty big kitchen with over 30 doors, plus drawers and two centre aisles - it would be a lot cheaper than full replacement, and maybe cheaper than replacing doors and fittings.

I'm in a similar situation but not quite such a large kitchen - 22 doors - it was re-done professionally maybe 10 - 15 years ago and I cannot see any way of improving the design and layout. Apart from a little wear on a couple of doors, and one scratch, the only thing wrong with it is that it's a bit of a dated oak finish. I would out up with it but SWMBO is suggesting a change in the next few years.

The carcasses all seem OK. It has additional matching sides screwed onto the carcass on some outward facing edges, but some carcasses outer walls have the wood finish as their sides so would need complete replacement. Either painting or door replacement would be cheaper than whole unit replacement, but cost isn't the only consideration.

Anyway we now have an invite to go and see the kitchen once it's done.
 Freshening up kitchen furniture - Mapmaker
4k for painting 30 doors and a couple of drawers. That's, say £114 per item. Five minutes with a spraygun, that's money for old rope.
Sounds like it to me but I believe there is a bit more to it than that.

They came round and masked off the stuff fixed to the walls which was sprayed by a team within a day. The removable bits were all removed and went off to their "factory" somewhere. He thinks it's "special" paint which would fill grain etc.

I'll get more info when I go for a visit.

As I said, I wouldn't imagine he's easily fooled but you never know...
 Freshening up kitchen furniture - Clk Sec
Seems an awful lot of money to me, and more than I would want to pay for having the units painted.

I thought our own kitchen refit a few years ago was horribly expensive at around £12,000, but all three quotes we had were much the same and it did include a good quality washing machine, dishwasher and a full days work by two first class plasterers.
>> 4k for painting 30 doors and a couple of drawers. That's, say £114 per item.
>> Five minutes with a spraygun, that's money for old rope.
>>

You could replace the doors for that price.
 Freshening up kitchen furniture - Bromptonaut
>> You could replace the doors for that price.

And in a way that's the point. In effect you're replacing the doors with something completely different. If the job's done properly with doors cleaned/sanded and covered with coats of paints that last it's more than a few minutes with a spray gun.

Won't work for mine though, they're a laminate in fibreboard that, when we had kids etc, was easier to clean than solid wood options developer offered. Whole space needs redesigning to suit us as couple where grown up kids come home occasionally without spoiling prospect of onward sale as a family home.
 Freshening up kitchen furniture - R.P.
Guess that the carcases get a coat of paint as well
We are in our retirement home, the kitchen has been replaced with a design which eliminates most bending and all standing on things to reach the back of the high cupboards. The lower cupboards have pull out shelves, but most have been replaced with drawers. The upper cupboards have their contents in easily lifted out containers with handles. The bathroom has also been future proofed by removing the bathtub that we did not use and replacing it with a flush floored walk in shower with a rain and standard shower. The porcelain floor tiles have underfloor heating which we use to take the chill off the tiles, there is a 5' towel heating radiator, aka the loft ladder, to keep the room warm.
 Freshening up kitchen furniture - Zero
Sounds like you need meals on wheels, not a kitchen
Not for a long time yet, anyway we have an eye level oven and microwave. Nothing wrong with a bit of planning and getting your home comfortable before it may become a problem. I know a few people who I consider to be old who really struggle with their homes.
Coincidence you should mention that ON. I have arranged for a kitchen fitter, whom I know, to visit my old Mums next week.
She was seriously contemplating moving into a new build McCarthy & Stone ( one of my ex’s was manager of one so I visited regularly to use their rooftop terrace...don’t ask) but as she has great neighbours, we decided to make the kitchen more user friendly for her and stay where she is.
I have to go and clean out her fridge, freezer and other cupboards she cannot easily access, so might take down a non supporting wall and open everything up into a large kitchen diner, with fridge & freezer at waist level.

Freshening up kitchen furniture - commerdriver
>> She was seriously contemplating moving into a new build McCarthy & Stone
>>
Questionable value for money as flats, but total package well worthwhile especially if elderly parent on their own. My late mother had her last 9 years comfortable & happy in one in Paisley.
A little planning makes for a comfortable life now even if the future does not work out as expected. In the blink of an eye you can be parked under a bus, wake up in a hospital bed unaware that you have been in intensive care, or be sat in front of a life threatening disease consultant. I have not done the bus one (yet). We find this type of container good for above eye level shelves, ASDA and Wilco sell them.

www.plasticboxshop.co.uk/storage-boxes-for-schools-c3/tidy-baskets-c48/caddy-basket-with-handle-clear-small-p1604
New McC & Stone currently being built in Settle... I expect large demand, with glorious views from the rooftop terrace. Sales day late Feb at a local hotel, but completion still several months away.
ON... have you any tips please on making a kitchen more user friendly for my old Mum? By demolishing the interior wall and opening everything up into her current dining room I hope to create more kitchen room...she currently has a small circular top opening spin dryer jammed in her small downstairs WC and might have washer on floor with dryer at waist height.

She’s already stressing about the upheaval but I’m sending her to Lytham St Anne’s for several days before she moves in with me during the alterations ( oh joy)
The main one is avoid low level cupboards they are a hands and knees job to reach into unless they have pull out shelves. We have replaced most of ours with drawers and pull outs. The high level cupboards can be dealt with using the containers linked above. We have an eye level 85mm wide X 35mm high (fits between a wall and window) cupboard with a top hinged door and sprig loaded strut over the kettle location to contain all the hot drinks ingredients and mugs. It's a simple stuff given a bit of thought. Although we are both fully mobile these things will make life easier as we get older.

We have one of these in a corner cupboard and the website gives you an idea of what is available. We did not use this company, just an example.

www.bullerltd.co.uk/supra-pull-out-corner.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAmITRBRCSARIsAEOZmr7hQ8ZAepS5Hpo8rJIrMZV5syKdj9pdabcdVzzias1O_shV5dmMGx4aAmp6EALw_wcB
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 1 Dec 17 at 14:18
Thanks ON.
I’ll be picking a few brains before committing to the final plans.... when planning a complete refurb of my late Aunts flat I spent lots of time planning a new kitchen after getting rid of the 30yo one on Freecycle, and those user friendly corner cupboards will definitely be used.
Edit -

Obviously my mms should be cms.
Latest Forum Posts