Non-motoring > Seiko Kinetic. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 99

Seiko Kinetic. - R.P.
My Seiko Kinetic Pepsi Diver's watch is reaching the end of its life. Bought for a $100 on a holiday in the USA in 2008 it has been living on borrowed time for the last couple of years - requires weekly wearing now to keep it going. Sadly no-one wants to know about changing the battery, although there are guides online on how to do a DIY job. One Seiko dealer offered £80.00 off a new watch...

I noticed yesterday morning it had stopped - it's since re-started but I feel its now doomed. Cheapish watch has been worn mainly for bike rides (expendable)...the end is nigh.

Anyone know of a fix ?
 Seiko Kinetic. - riddler
If you contact Seiko Service they can replace the battery/mechanism. Had it replaced on my watch for around £90 about 5years ago. Working fine now. I think the average life of these seems to be around 10years
 Seiko Kinetic. - Runfer D'Hills
I bought a Seiko automatic in Hong Kong airport about 18 months ago. The sales lady was keen to tell me it was an automatic as opposed to a kinetic movement. She said anyway, that it was more reliable if less accurate. The latter does seem to be true in so far as it loses about a minute a month, which I can live with I suppose.

My 30 year old battery driven Tag still keeps perfect time, as, in fairness, does my 10 year old solar powered G Shock.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Fri 1 Dec 17 at 20:58
 Seiko Kinetic. - Duncan
>> perfect time, as, in fairness, does
>> my 10 year old solar powered G Shock.
>>

Complete pain to change the batteries on the G Shock. My "little man" declined to do the job last time and suggested I sent it to Casio.

Edit.
But then - perhaps you haven't got batteries on a solar powered job - ahem!
Last edited by: Duncan on Fri 1 Dec 17 at 21:10
 Seiko Kinetic. - Old Navy
I have used this outfit, they may be able to fix your watch.

www.kinetic-repairs.co.uk
 Seiko Kinetic. - R.P.
Thanks ON.
 Seiko Kinetic. - smokie

>> Complete pain to change the batteries on the G Shock. My "little man" declined to
>> do the job last time and suggested I sent it to Casio.
>>
>> Edit.
>> But then - perhaps you haven't got batteries on a solar powered job - ahem!
>>

But then - how would it run when it can't see the sun? - ahem! :-)
 Seiko Kinetic. - Falkirk Bairn
I bought one - great timekeeper but the watch packed up in 2012 ish - a did my Omega Constellation about 1 week later.

The verdict was the Kinetic was to be binned as I could buy a new one for not much more than the repair cost. Omega needed a service -that was not cheap.
 Seiko Kinetic. - R.P.
Made my decision. My beautiful 10 year old Monsoon wool and cashmere suit is off to the Charity shop now. Watch will be allowed to die. Time to move on ! :-)/
Never got around to buying one, but if I was replacing your Seiko, I might look at a Hamilton. I like their styling and while they're not cheap, they're not silly money either.

Never seen the point in buying a watch that's not by a watch brand. If you see what I mean? A friend of mine is in the watch licensing business and he has told me that if you buy a watch with, for example, a posh clothing brand on it, then it's more than likely a cheap movement disguised by a fancy case and strap, whereas a proper watch brand is more likely to be a "proper" watch.
 Seiko Kinetic. - Haywain
I'm a fan of Seiko and still wear my Seiko Quartz purchased for £28 in 1979 from the PS stores at RAF Rheindahlen. It's something of a 'Trigger's Broom' with 3 or 4 new glasses, a new strap and 5 or 6 replacement batteries. It keeps perfect time from one 'clock-change' to the next. The chap at the local jewellers, who changes the bits and pieces, tut tuts and says 'they don't make 'em like that now'.
 Seiko Kinetic. - Falkirk Bairn
Bought roughly 15 Seiko automatic watches in Saudi Arabia when I worked there as presents. £10-£15 they were about £30-£60 in the UK.

Most have outlasted their owners & will probably be languishing in a drawer now.
My maternal grandfather was a craftsman watchmaker. I still have some of his tools and indeed watches, mostly fob watches of course. Loads of spare bits and pieces too. Little cogs and springs etc. Couldn't bear to sell any of it or throw them out, so they sit in a box which gets opened every few years. Another one, which was my father's is an old Dundee made Timex automatic. Nothing fancy about it of course, but it still works. I guess it dates back to the mid 50s or so, maybe a little later. I sometimes think of getting a strap for it and wearing it just for the sake of it.

As I mentioned before, I've a 30 odd year old Tag which is still perfect despite much use. I think the sapphire crystal glass makes a difference as they don't scratch easily. The Seiko I'm wearing today is only 18 months old and is already looking a bit tatty here and there. The glass has a couple of scratches in it and the strap has a few scuffs, but it's a perfectly good everyday watch.

For mountain biking or beach use I favour my black plastic Casio G Shock digital. Ugly sort of thing but it very much does do what it says on the tin. Charges itself in any sort of light and "sees" some kind of radio signal to keep it accurate. Probably all the watch I ever need in truth.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 2 Dec 17 at 12:50
 Seiko Kinetic. - Dog
Esme Seiko watch: www.watchshop.com/mens-seiko-alarm-chronograph-watch-snaf09p1-p99956437.html which looks pretty awful but, it's not as green as it appears here/there.

My 'work' watch is a Casio Wave Ceptor which is hanging up in the bathroom. It doesn't get any natural light so just charges when I'm washing or having a Jimmy.
 Seiko Kinetic. - R.P.
I have my trusty Seamaster as everyday wear, a Seiko automatic ( another Pepsi Diver's bought to succeed the Kinetic) for biking purposes. I get emotionally attached to them, that's the trouble.
I do sort of get that. I'm very fond of my old watch. I've also got a ( really nothing fancy ) old Parker pen that I've had for as long as I can remember. I've signed everything that has ever been important to me with that pen. I've had posher ones, as gifts and so on, from time to time, but I still default to that old Parker. That's the one I clip in my pocket every morning next to the leather wallet of similarly indeterminate vintage.

My jobs, and indeed private life have led to a lot of travel throughout the world. The watch, the pen and the wallet have been long standing companions on those trips. Losing one of them, or throwing one out would feel like losing an old friend somehow. Don't ask me to explain or justify that !
 Seiko Kinetic. - Ted

Not a watch fan myself. I have an Omega, 21st Birthday, but the strap has been robbed for something else. Even after an expensive service, it never kept time well. SWM bought me my current watch, an Accurist..about £40, in despair over my watch buying policy...2 for a fiver at the Sunday bike meets. Never had a fail but the straps used to go. Putting a new one on at a tenner wasn't worth it.

Son bought me a Pulsar last Chrimbo but I've never worn it. Too fat and heavy with 3 lickle dials and 3 winders. I expect I'll have to wear it this Chrimbo day when they all come for dinner !
If you really don't want it Ted, you could probably sell the Omega for quite a surprising amount of money. Might be worth checking?
 Seiko Kinetic. - R.P.
I have a an old '59 Rolex which I bought in 2005ish. Goes well and is accurate and a much later Rolex Submariner Ceramic. Bought for a good price, never worn it. Recent valuation was for a grand more than I paid for it two years earlier, so that stays in the box zero attachment to it. I treated myself to a Stowa Flieger in 2010. I love that watch and it is the occasional go-to for a evening out.

Mrs RP has a Parker ball point that seems to be worth more than the sum of its parts !
 Seiko Kinetic. - bathtub tom
SWMBO bought me a Bulova Accutron (remember them?) back in the days before we had kids and we had disposable income.
Supposed to be cutting edge technology. It kept lousy time and could never be accurately regulated. Sits in a drawer.
As a boy, I promised myself that one day, I would have a Cartier Tank watch and a Mercedes 190sl.

Thus far, I have achieved neither of those ambitions...
 Seiko Kinetic. - Stuartli
I have a 30+ year old Seiko classic chronograph watch (it belonged to my father) which suffered the failure of one of its three miniature dial motors.

I contacted Seiko and they advised me to contract their approved watch repairers, Premier Watches. I did so and, after examining the watch, said they would do their best to try and find a replacement motor (as you will appreciate there are many, many thousands of different parts for Seiko, Pulsar and Lorus watches!!)

After about eight weeks they succeeded, repaired the watch and returned it to me, after deciding to return the VAT element of the repair cost to me as they had overlooked advising the fact they had found a suitable motor.

They say they search in other countries and not just the UK to find spare parts, although they do carry a large stock.

You can contact them at:

www.premierwatchrepairs.com/seiko-watch-repair-service.html
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sat 2 Dec 17 at 14:52
 Seiko Kinetic. - Rudedog
I was given a Omega Seamaster form my Dad who is into watches but never wore it, apparently it's usually in that is a early automatic one, unfortunately like others have said it doesn't quite keep good time and has no reserve if you don't keep it on your wrist, I had to have a very very expensive service when the luminosity came away from one of the hands and the fine powder got into the mechanism.

If (when) I have the money I have my heart set on a Nomos Club Automat Datum (black face), a German made watch with a German made mechanism.

Downside of working in the clinical areas of my hospital is that you have to be 'bare below the elbow' so no watches allowed! after a while you get out of the habit of looking at your wrist for the time and end up pulling out your phone.
 Seiko Kinetic. - R.P.
You need a fob watch sir ! :-)
 Seiko Kinetic. - sajid
i bought a rado hyperchrome watch it a automatic ceramic black strap with gold inlays, and i own another rado a sintra but that battery powered.
It cost me £50 to replace the battery and rado will pressure test and give you a 2 year warranty.

theres a saying watch make a man something like the if you were going to test drive a car the saleman would have no inkling if you got the finance to buy it but he may look at the little things you are wearing a watch.

i dont know if its true or not ...
 Seiko Kinetic. - Dog
There's another saying which goes like "There is one born every minute"

:o}
>>There's another saying which goes like "There is one born every minute">>

I have a blue face Pulsar (full specification, day/date etc) Kinetic watch (Seiko bought out the Kinetic technology in the early 1990s) and it is a marvellous bit of kit - highly accurate, retains a charge for up to six months if not worn, is waterproof to 100 metres and, as with all Seiko products (including the Epson printers) is beautifully manufactured.

Even more appealing was that I originally spotted it on offer at Argos late one night on-line for the bargain price of £69.99 (most jewellers and even Seiko themselves had it priced at almost twice that price), so ordered one and picked it up next morning.

Hopefully the Pulsar will never give any problems - certainly, for example, several sessions in the Caribbean Sea when visiting the Cayman Islands proved its waterproof qualities.

Seiko Kinetic. - zippy
>>Epson printers

Pain in the a*** things they are! Work insists on them as home printers but the heads need regular cleaning and use lots of ink in the process. I've gone through three and given up as eventually the heads block, rendering the printer useless!

Their watches on the otherhand are good!
I had an Epson R300 for 10 years - it produced superb prints even using compatible cartridges.

It used to occasionally block the heads up if not in action for a while, but eventually I realised that leaving the R300 switched on permanently completely eradicated the potential for the heads to block up...:-)

It also saved all that wasted ink when the printer was switched on and went through its routine....

Best mate, who has the R200 and bought it before i acquired the R300, didn't use it for about 18 months until earlier this year. A few quick test pages brought it back into normal use.
 Seiko Kinetic. - Dog
>>I originally spotted it on offer at Argos late one night on-line for the bargain price of £69.99 (most jewellers and even Seiko themselves had it priced at almost twice that price), so ordered one and picked it up next morning.

Ever-so slight thread drift .. I'm looking to buy a www.robertsradio.com/uk/products/radio/sound-systems/blutune-100 from Amazon @ £225 but, I can get the same thing on Ebay (manufacturer refurb) from Roberts outlet store for 75 notes less AND it comes with one years warranty.
 Seiko Kinetic. - zippy
Go for it. Got the Roberts Sound 100 (its predecessor and not Bluetooth) for the Ex for in 2013.

It is still going strong.
Last edited by: zippy on Sat 2 Dec 17 at 22:34
 Seiko Kinetic. - legacylad
The radio or the ex?
 Seiko Kinetic. - zippy
>> The radio or the ex?
>>

:-)
 Seiko Kinetic. - Dog
>>Go for it

Probably will. Reviews are excellent on Amazon. Another one I was looking at is the Ruark R2 MK111, but at 420 quid I'm thinking hold on there bald eagle!

S'nice bit of kit though: www.whathifi.com/ruark-audio/r2-mk3/review
 Seiko Kinetic. - zippy
>>Ruark...

Oh that looks good!

Have you had a look at this:

www.brennan.co.uk/

Seiko Kinetic. - Dog
I did look 'into' the Brennan B2 a some time back. I mainly listen to DAB radio and some music vids via YT running through my PC/Yamaha CD receiver/ Monitor Audio B2's.

I'm looking for a system to sit on the sideboard in the dining/day room (where the wood burner is!) on which again I/we will mainly listen to DAB radio and be able to play the occasional CD. Remote control is a must.

Another nice system I've been looking at is the Pure Evoke C-F6 and the Yammy TSXB235D and (wait for it, wait for it) the Denon D-M40DAB.

8-)
 Seiko Kinetic. - R.P.
We have a Brenan. Currently lives in the kitchen and wired into speakers in the ceiling. I love its infinite randomness
 Seiko Kinetic. - helicopter
I love watches , own several , see below, but I hate paying full shop prices.

Reading this thread inspired me to dig out my Seiko Arctura kinetic which has languished unused in my Man Drawer for several months.

With around five minutes of shaking to start it off it has been on my wrist for the last couple of days keeping perfect time.I bought it from Ebay several years ago for a smidge over £100 ,someones brand new unwanted present...£450 in the local Seiko dealers.

I have a Seiko perpetual calendar watch bought in Gibraltar in the 80's after a great deal of enjoyable haggling with an Indian lady ending up with the toss of a coin which won me the watch at my price offer rather than her already discounted figure.

I have also , like Runfer, a 30 year old battered Tag Heuer Professional which is my day to day preferred watch bought cheaply at an antiques fair.

I have also an Omega Constellation for evening wear which was a 65th birthday present from SWMBO

In addition I own and wear occasionally old Longines, Avia and Mappin and Webb mechanical watches which I bought cheaply at various antique and vintage markets and brought back to life.

Seiko Kinetic. - R.P.
Pleasure in the simple things Helicopter. I am considering an Apple watch for everyday wear. The "Want and Need" spectrum isn't working though. Decided against an LTE version already
I'd quite like an Apple watch, but while, as the years inexorably advance, and I increasingly care little or nothing for what others think of my choices, I'm still a bit unsure that I'd want anyone to think I was the sort of person who would have an Apple watch. If you see what I mean? I'm not entirely sure I even want to think of myself as the sort of person who would have an Apple watch, which is a bit confusing to say the least, because I would. I think.
 Seiko Kinetic. - zippy
Got a new Gen 2 Apple Watch for the Mrs a few weeks back for £199. Its the large one and the only colour was rose gold (pink), otherwise I might have been tempted.

She loves it.

I have decided against one for me. The battery lasts about 2 days and as I am away so much it would mean taking another charger with me, which I don't want to do.
 Seiko Kinetic. - R.P.
Partly my needs/wants problem . I see some Hipster types (mainly in work) with big beards and the such-like. I check their watch-wear and guess what. The guy who sits next to me has a Turkish made watch. Very basic, very different and cost peanuts, maybe more my style.
 Seiko Kinetic. - Old Navy
Does an Apple watch tell the time or has it gone the same way as mobile phones, now rarely used for voice communication?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 3 Dec 17 at 16:48
My in-laws, have all their watches and clocks set 5 minutes fast so they always have 5 minutes to spare when they need to be somewhere.

I know. Makes no sense at all because they know about it but that's what they do.

On the other hand, ( sorry about that ) I get quite anxious if my watch is even a minute out, and get irrationally upset when air crew tell you the time on landing and don't get it quite right.

My wife, will quite happily go about wearing a watch that has stopped if it goes with her outfit. That might actually push me over the edge one day.

;-)
 Seiko Kinetic. - R.P.
Indeed. I know the feeling.
 Seiko Kinetic. - zippy
My favorite watch is an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean, that Tesco gave me. Its fairly accurate for my needs and is automatic.

The day to day watch is a Casio Edifice and it is accurate to the second. It is solar powered and has a radio that links to an atomic clock based radio signal in Germany. When I am on the M25, I can know exactly how late I am to an appointment!
 Seiko Kinetic. - CGNorwich
Sometimes I just can't decide.

Its either:

tinyurl.com/yaq57g6y

or

tinyurl.com/ydx8l3qx

What do you reckon?

The first comes with free delivery so you have to take that into account.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sun 3 Dec 17 at 20:48
On the other hand I've just noticed that the second one comes with a two year warranty - twice as long as the first so that swings it for me.
 Seiko Kinetic. - R.P.
9p cheaper on e-bay.
Which one?
 Seiko Kinetic. - MD
Amusing topic. Casio something or other bought a few weeks ago for work, perfect timekeeping. £3.99 delivered. Citizen ecodrive (light powered) watch for ‘best’ slightly over square face, thin and discreet (unlike me). Keeps perfect time. My Dads old Seiko something. Gave up the ghost a few years back. Won’t spend the dosh to fix which for some reason slightly alarmed the lady in the shop.

Me and the old gal do a bit of cruising (sea) before you start! It’s funny to ‘watch’ some blokes nonchalantly wave their overly large time pieces about. I cannot bear a large watch.

Now, a large Scotch!
 Seiko Kinetic. - Dog
>>Now, a large Scotch!

Alexander Elliot Anderson Salmond.
 Seiko Kinetic. - R.P.
Second one.
 Seiko Kinetic. - bathtub tom
>>On the other hand, ( sorry about that ) I get quite anxious if my watch is even a minute out, >>and get irrationally upset when air crew tell you the time on landing and don't get it quite >>right.My wife, will quite happily go about wearing a watch that has stopped if it goes with her >>outfit. That might actually push me over the edge one day.

>> Indeed. I know the feeling.

OCD?
 Seiko Kinetic. - R.P.
Timekeeping is/was/and will be for me.
Nobody cared about time much until the coming of the railways. I like that idea.

In Roman times the length of an hour depended on the time of year.
 Seiko Kinetic. - Hard Cheese
>> Nobody cared about time much until the coming of the railways. I like that idea.
>>

And it was navigation that drove the drive for accurate time measurement, the story of longitude and John Harrison's clocks is fascinating.

I bought a Seiko quartz chronograph for myself when I was 30 in 1992, 7T-42 movement, it was great for about 20 years though latterly the battery would only last a few months.

I have also bought four other Seiko chronographs over the past 10 years or so, a couple of 7T-62s and a couple of 7T-92s, three quite cheaply online here and one in a mall on the Nevada - California border. Good quality watches for not too much money and a reputable brand without being flash.
Do you navigate much with your chronograph?
 Seiko Kinetic. - No FM2R
A chronograph is just a watch with a stopwatch function, isn't it?
>> A chronograph is just a watch with a stopwatch function, isn't it?
>>

Yes, exactly. Some might also include an alarm function. I like the look of a watch with the additional dials within the main watch face and a stop watch is occasionally useful, the 7T-92 movement does not have an alarm, as do the 7T-42 and 7T-62, though it has a 1/20th of a second dial.

Horses for courses. My old G Shock is for when I need a watch but I'm going to be doing something where I don't want to worry about it being damaged. It's quite ugly but very efficient. My Seiko is now my everyday watch, goes with more or less any clothes and I'm still not too precious about its welfare. My old Tag, which I wore daily for more than 25 years is worn by my son now. He'd coveted it for years and I gave it to him when he'd passed something significant.

I don't wear any other jewellery, not even a wedding ring, I used to have one ( first time around ) but it was constantly catching in things and I grew tired of that. A watch to me is either a practical tool, or a piece of jewellery worn in much the same way as any other clothing or footwear to complete a given look to suit the circumstances.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Mon 4 Dec 17 at 10:49
 Seiko Kinetic. - Manatee
A chronometer is (or was) what was needed for the navigating.

Now, we can all be sure where we are with a cheap phone. Incredible.
Accuracy is the key to navigation and chronometer was term devised for a time piece that is certified as being accurate to within specified standards.
But rather irrelevant if you want to catch the bus or see how long until Coronation Street is on. The desire for accuracy is fascinating. If it the motivator in buying a watch why do people still buy mechanical watches? Probably less accurate than the cheapest Casio.
They buy them as jewellery.
 Seiko Kinetic. - Manatee
I don't do jewellery, at all, but I do like mechanical things and hence watches. Don't have to be expensive, in fact mustn't be.
 Seiko Kinetic. - Zero
>> I don't do jewellery, at all, but I do like mechanical things and hence watches.

I have developed a taste for mechanical wind up watches, and my wearing current stable includes an old (1970 vintage) Bulova Chronograph and a c1958 "watches of Switzerland" wind up with a stylish leather strap. . Both extremely high quality, both shrug off hard use.

I have fought off the smart watch / activity tracker trend but I am going to succumb to a Nokia Steel HR in the new year. health.nokia.com/es/en/steel-hr

My quartz, battery though mechanical Seikos will typically be within 30-40 secs or so from the clocks going back to when they go forward again.

Re Casio, some of their Edifice watches are quite tasteful and good quality.
 Seiko Kinetic. - No FM2R
A Rolex makes an excellent daily wearer. They're tough as hell, never go wrong, and are heavy, which I prefer in a watch. Given that I've been wearing this one for 20 odd years, it shows remarkably little wear, especially given its rough lifestyle.

They are not the most accurate watch though. It is fortunate that I don't care about exact time very much. Within a few minutes is close enough.
The glass makes a heck of a difference to longevity or longevity of appearance anyway, your Rolex will almost certainly have sapphire crystal glass where many cheaper brands use mineral glass or even Perspex. My Seiko has scratched glass after only 18 months wear, while my Tag still looks new after more than 30 years wear.

Bit like cars really, you can pay a lot or a little or somewhere in between, any of which can be justified depending on your needs and preferences.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Mon 4 Dec 17 at 12:13
 Seiko Kinetic. - sooty123
I've got a skagen as a smart watch. They are a simplier designed watch that's also lightweight. Not a big fan of heavy big watches.

m.skagen.com/gb/en/men.html

I'd like a sinn one day, but they're £1000+ maybe one day though.
Seikos are normally sapphire crystal or whatever, my daily wearer has picked up one slight scratch on the glass from catching it on some rock when walking.

I recall when I bought my first Seiko in '92 a newly engaged female colleague brushed past me by the coffee machine and scratched the glass of my brand new watch with her diamond engagement ring, I had the glass replaced.
My everyday watch is a taliban special.

www.casio.com/products/watches/classic/f91w-1
 Seiko Kinetic. - MD
THats the one I bought for £3.99
>> THats the one I bought for £3.99
>>

I paid a few more quid, obviously got ripped off ;)
Most Seikos are "Hardlex" crystal. Tougher than normal mineral glass but not nearly as tough as sapphire crystal. They do use sapphire crystal in some of their premium models though.
> Bit like cars really, you can pay a lot or a little or somewhere in
>> between, any of which can be justified depending on your needs and preferences.
>>

I know a couple of people who have brietlings, they both have pretty physical jobs and them everyday. No idea what type of glass they have, pretty sure they were £1500 each. Honestly they look pretty much battered, both really scratched all over. Not sure I'd use such a watch in a physical job but they seemed completely uninterested that the watches were in a state.
 Seiko Kinetic. - No FM2R
>>our Rolex will almost certainly have sapphire crystal glass

Well, I'm not entirely sure what that is, but certainly there is not a single scratch on the glass. There are a couple of tiny scratches in the blue bezel* but even that is mostly untouched.

The strap though is worn. Not any deep scratches, but quite a lot of little scratches/scuffs. Maybe I should see about getting them polished out. Its due [well overdue!] a service anyway.

*the circular twirly bit with minutes marked on it; bezel, right?
It'd cost a bit, but yes you could have it refurbished. Probably see you out after that if you did.
 Seiko Kinetic. - No FM2R
Its probably worth it, I love the watch. I have other watches I wear if I am trying to look posh, its the service that's really important (and expensive) for its day to day continuance so I'll ask about the polish since its got to go in anyway.

I had a Tag before. Well, I still have it. I used to love that, but sadly it was my daily wearer and it got a bit tatty for posh wear.
My Seiko 7A36-727A Chronograph is identical in appearance to the 7A38 shown in this link:

www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums/topics/show/9053333

Seiko uses what it terms a caliber number to identify its many (probably) thousands of watch designs over the years.

Incidentally, re cheap watches keeping very good time - I was once told that the very, very expensive watches use the same (cheap) quartz crystal heart as the low cost variations found on market stalls etc. Don't know if its true or not, but seems feasible.
My old '92 7T42 is identical to this;

i62.tinypic.com/aui6au.jpg

Came in a 1992 Olympics branded box.

Seiko Kinetic. - R.P.
Odd things watches. It was the old Seiko Kinetic for work this morning. A conscious choice, maybe the Seamaster tomorrow....
Two watches on holiday or one? I should just take my Casio because it's fine on the beach etc, and I'm rarely ever "dressed up" when I'm on holiday, but I can't help but take another one as well, just, you know, "in case".
;-)
 Seiko Kinetic. - R.P.
Only one for me. Oddly my bargain Seiko Pepsi Diver (auto not the kinetic) got mistaken for a Rolex on my last trip.
Last edited by: R.P. on Tue 5 Dec 17 at 08:44
I should, when travelling, only take my plastic Casio. It is an alarm, it's waterproof, it doesn't set off security scanners, it can easily be adjusted at the push of a button to different time zones, it's solar powered, it's 100% accurate due to reading a radio signal, has day/date, a stopwatch, can be in 12 or 24 hour mode, it illuminates either automatically or manually and is more or less impossible to break.

But I still take a spare.
 Seiko Kinetic. - movilogo
>> when travelling, only take my plastic Casio

So do I. My Casio Pathfinder has dual time (can show 3rd time via rotating bezel), altimeter, barometer, thermometer and many other features never used (e.g. underwater depth).

Cost me £72 10-11 years back. Had to change battery once. Fancy a G-shock but just too expensive.

>>My old '92 7T42 is identical to this;>>

My Seiko chronograph, which was originally bought by my late father, is even older as he passed away in 1989.
 Seiko Kinetic. - VxFan
My daily watch is a Casio DB360

www.casio.com/resource/images/products/watches/large/DB360-1AV_large.png

Cheap, cheerful, and has all the functions I require. I don't however use the telephone database on it. Got the iPhone for that. I had the exact same watch before, but the resin case broke on the corner. It super glued for a while, but then went again, so bought another identical watch for £11.

One of my other watches is another Casio.

www.casio-europe.com/resource/images/watch/zoom/AE-1200WHD-1AVEF.jpg

Again, cheap and cheerful. I'm terrible for catching my arm on things and ripping the watch off. That's how the case on one of my other watches got damaged.

Both watches keep very good time. Only lose or gain approx. 3 or 4 seconds a week.

I had contemplated getting an iWatch at some point, but for what I want it for, it is ridiculously overpriced. All I want is something to tell me the time and date, has an alarm function and countdown timer.

Casios are so good it does make you wonder why anyone would need or want anything else really. But, like I mentioned upthread, it's probably the jewellery factor most people are buying into when they pay more, or indeed a nice watch is still a lovely gift to receive and wearing one you have been given can be a pleasing reminder of the person who gave it to you. I like wearing my Casio when I'm "off duty" so to speak, or involved in some activity for which it is best suited, but I, perhaps irrationally, prefer to wear the others for different reasons.

Bill Clinton famously wore a Timex during his presidency, not sure if he still does, but it was a nod to Little Rock Arkansas where they have their headquarters, and where he started in politics. Always thought that was a nice touch.
>>Casios are so good it does make you wonder why anyone would need or want anything else really.>>

That's very true, same for its calculators and other gadgets. In the early 1980s I bought a steel case Casio watch that did everything bar cook the tea (£25), but its hourly rendering of the Wedding March use to drive work colleagues mad....:-)

7DayShop.com added some of the lower cost Casio models to its website a little while back, which might prove of interest:

www.7dayshop.com/brand/casio

It's a top notch source for a variety of products in any case, so always worth keeping an eye on.
Cor ! I remember when those Casio calculator watches first came out and how amazed people were.
 Seiko Kinetic. - VxFan
>> Casio calculator watches

I think I've still got one in a drawer somewhere.
I wouldn't count on it...
 Seiko Kinetic. - VxFan
Groan ;)

Actually I couldn't operate it properly to count on it (fat fingers), which is why it probably ended up in the drawer.
Guy I knew ( accountant) who had one used to prod at it with the top of his Bic for that very reason. But he was a bit rock and roll y'know...different coloured tank tops every day and Mister Men socks.
 Seiko Kinetic. - Roger.
Day-to-day watch is a Longines in stainless steel. I bought it about 17 years ago and it's been back to Longines twice. for servicing, new batteries and re-waterproofing. I gave up using local watch repairers after one messed up by putting in a fractionally too large battery, bending the holder and another categorically refused to guarantee the waterproofing after fitting a new battery.
Longines (part of the Swatch Group these days) servicing is expensive, but the service they provide is utterly marvelous.
My "fancy" watch is a 9ct. gold Omega wristwatch in a small oblong shape. It was presented to my paternal grandfather in 1937, on his retirement as chief draughtsman at Woolwich A rsenal, which makes it two years younger than me!
By the way, let's not forget the Grand Seiko and Astron watches range in particular - they can cost well into four figures:

www.seiko.co.uk/collections/men/grand-seiko

Seiko Kinetic. - tyrednemotional
This thread has prompted me to unearth my father's basic and rather battered wristwatch, of unknown origin but with a Swiss "Incabloc" movement, and give it a whirl.

Though it's not been touched for around 25 years, wound up and set last night, it is keeping virtually perfect time 24 hours on - you'd hardly call it fashionable, though.

Even more surprising: I at the same time unearthed my Grandfather's "Sir John Bennett" labelled (though Swiss movement) Hunter. This is likely to be over 100 years old - his shooting medal attached to the chain dates from 1919, and it hasn't been used for almost 50 years.

After struggling somewhat to set the time (not wanting to do damage, and the mechanism being stiff), fully wound that is keeping absolutely perfect time 24 hours on.

It is hallmarked (though difficult to read): I feel a little more research coming on.
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Wed 6 Dec 17 at 16:28
 Seiko Kinetic. - R.P.
Sounds good. Don't think that an old watch is unfashionable. They are quite "in" I believe.
Latest Forum Posts