Non-motoring > Look away Humph. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 33

Look away Humph. - R.P.
New job starting on Friday with the NHS. The "uniform" arrived yesterday. The safety boots are made of some composite material. Good God...is this the effect of Brexit ?
 Look away Humph. - Runfer D'Hills
This sort of look?

tinyurl.com/y7kuakvh

;-)
 Look away Humph. - Hard Cheese
Job with the NHS doing what RP?
 Look away Humph. - R.P.
Courier. Driving job. Bank hours. Not much wage but it will keep me in decent footwear.
 Look away Humph. - Hard Cheese
What will you be driving?
 Look away Humph. - R.P.
Blipper type things, possibly Transit sized things.
 Look away Humph. - legacylad
Coincidentally, I’ve just had a clear out of my footwear....anything not worn in the past 12 months is going to the S Army. Apart from some specific Sportiva mountaineering boots and ski boots.
Three pairs of decent leather casual footwear fell apart at the same time so went in the bin, and I still have 7 pairs of outdoor pursuit footwear, ranging from high altitude mountain boots to ultra light trail shoes.
Plus one pair each of Loakes & Barkers ( tan & navy blue) for special occasions and one pair of 30yo Black Ex RAF Parade shoes ( bought second hand) for funerals.
I hate wearing ‘trainer’ type footwear for casual out and about, and my two pairs of brightly coloured Vans are exclusively for evening use in warmer climes.
Does our resident shoe expert rate Keen footwear ( I’ve used their walking/paddling sandals for years) ...thinking of the Keen Boston @£100?
Suggestions gratefully received for a good quality leather casual day shoe
Gracias
 Look away Humph. - Runfer D'Hills
Keen are great. Go for it. Re the "casual day" shoe brief, what do you normally wear clothing wise? For jeans etc, it's tough to better a Chelsea boot or Desert boot in whatever material you favour and at whatever level of quality/ price feels right. For shorts, your Vans or a classic boat shoe is fine.
 Look away Humph. - BiggerBadderDave
What about these? You wouldn't have to paint your toe nails anymore.

tinyurl.com/ya9wukw2
 Look away Humph. - legacylad
Stop it! I’ve just had an hours intensive physio after damaging my back 10’ up a ladder using HD lopping shears and laughing just makes the pain worse.
Think I’ll get two pairs of different Keen footwear, or maybe one of the ‘desert boot’ variety. Timbrrrrland perhaps? What’s this weeks ‘in’ colour?

When spending time on the river I love my Chaco sandals.....my ex won a Chaco competition a few years ago. One week, flights included, fancy hotel in Denver, car hire included with $$$ spends thrown in. Then she dumped me. And didn’t go at all.
 Look away Humph. - Robin O'Reliant
I wouldn't be seen dead in anything but these -

www.amazon.co.uk/Brown-Snake-Western-Cowboy-Ankle/dp/B00WIH1930/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512490933&sr=8-1&keywords=mens+snakeskin+cowboy+boots
 Look away Humph. - Bromptonaut
>> New job starting on Friday with the NHS. The "uniform" arrived yesterday. The safety boots
>> are made of some composite material. Good God...is this the effect of Brexit ?

Still doing the victim service stuff too?
 Look away Humph. - Pat
Bromp

I'm trying to verify a claim the charity has had today with no success at all.

Quick question for you...

Have you heard of a lorry driver being found dead in his cab overnight Friday/Saturday 1st/2nd December in a Northampton layby? The lorry was badged as John Raymond Transport.

I can't find anything in the Press at all.

TIA.

Pat
 Look away Humph. - sherlock47
Why not ask the company? They are advertising vacancies.

jrt.co.uk/
 Look away Humph. - Pat
They wouldn't disclose any information on the phone to someone who they don't know Sherlock, or at least they certainly shouldn't do.

Quite right too.

It's a gut feeling that something is not quite right about this one.

Pat
 Look away Humph. - rtj70
If it was John Raymond then that's South Wales isn't it - Bridgend based.

You'd have thought if true that would have made the news.
 Look away Humph. - Pat
That's the one and you would have thought so.

Pat
>> Have you heard of a lorry driver being found dead in his cab overnight Friday/Saturday
>> 1st/2nd December in a Northampton layby? The lorry was badged as John Raymond Transport.

Pat,

Not seen or heard anything but Liz and I were away in Kent over weekend and only got back today. I'll do some more looking and ask at work tomorrow.
 Look away Humph. - Pat
Thanks Bromp. you know what that gut feeling is like.

Pat
Repeat of what you're likely to have searched (BBC Northampton, Chronicle and Echo and Northants Police witness appeals) turns up nothing relevant. A Google search for Lorry Driver Found Dead in Northampton finds references to historic events but nothing recent. There nothing on the company's Facebook page to suggest they've had a death in service.

Not that any of that is conclusive but it's a bit odd. OTOH if it's not suspicious and there's more 'interesting' stuff media may not report it.

Any clues on where layby is?

While company probably won't talk on phone I'd have thought a request to confirm facts coming from PDA e mail address would be enough to elicit a confirmation or denial that incident occurred.

Surely your claimant would consent to you sharing their information for purposes of verification of facts etc?
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 5 Dec 17 at 18:10
 Look away Humph. - Pat
No confirmation of where the layby is at all Bromp. I'm dealing with a cousin in Scotland and she is vague to say the least. I had exactly the same results as you.

It's said to be suicide....would that alter the reporting?

I don't want to contact the firm, they are not the best of firms and it sort of goes against our confidentiality clauses.

I can't really ask for verification as financial help isn't being requested....which is even stranger.

It's plausible and I should believe it.......BUT.

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Tue 5 Dec 17 at 18:14
>> It's said to be suicide....would that alter the reporting?

Your guess is as good as mine!. But it's more likely to pique media interest and police appeals than (pardon the sterotype) overweight chain-smoking lorry driver has coronary in cab!!
 Look away Humph. - Pat
I agree but it been a long day starting at 12.30am today so it's going to have to wait until tomorrow now.

Thanks Bromp.

Pat
 Look away Humph. - No FM2R
"Hello is that Northampton Police? Can you help me please...................."
Nobody here remembers seeing anything but that's not to say nothing happened.
 Look away Humph. - Pat
Thanks Bromp, can't say too much but collectively we're inclined to treat it as genuine with caution, and give what help we can.

Time will tell.

Pat
>> Thanks Bromp, can't say too much but collectively we're inclined to treat it as genuine
>> with caution, and give what help we can.

Get that entirely. Even if somebody is deluded you might elicit more by going along with it then getting the shutters down with a premature challenge.

A question put to me early in my training in working for the Court of Protection was 'How do you react to somebody who thinks Jesus is in the light bulb over his head'

No right answer......
 Look away Humph. - No FM2R

>> A question put to me early in my training in working for the Court of
>> Protection was 'How do you react to somebody who thinks Jesus is in the light
>> bulb over his head?

I don't quite get that, could you explain a bit more?
 Look away Humph. - Old Navy
>> >> It's said to be suicide....would that alter the reporting?
>>

It could, suicide by jumping off the Forth Road Bridge is not reported in the local press.
>> It could, suicide by jumping off the Forth Road Bridge is not reported in the
>> local press.

Possibly same at Archway or Valley Bridge in Scarborough. But that's about avoiding copycats at suicide hotspots. Not likely with a non suspicious but unexplained death inside a vehicle in some anonymous layby.
 Look away Humph. - R.P.
From experience stuff that happens at weekends is poorly reported - quite "big" things can happen and the local and national press will be totally oblivious, which is sometimes a good thing.
 Look away Humph. - R.P.
Still doing the victim service stuff too?

At moment yes. They're short staffed (again) and I wouldn't drop them in it over Christmas and New Year. It's been a good retirement job, but it's starting to get to me.
Last edited by: R.P. on Tue 5 Dec 17 at 22:05
 Look away Humph. - Bobby
Transporting blood samples now by chance?
 Look away Humph. - R.P.
Yes, Mrs RP who has also had the same job went on her first trial run today. Bloods and mail mainly.
Latest Forum Posts