Non-motoring > DTS HD decoding Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Hard Cheese Replies: 12

DTS HD decoding - Hard Cheese
As per another thread I have bought a Yamaha YAS-207 soundbar (which is the first sound bar to feature DTS Virtual X). My BlueRay player is a Sony BDP-S570, six years old though it's comprehensively featured including DTS HD, however when I play a DTS BlueRay disc the DTS indicator on the sound bar does not illuminate therefore indicating that it is receiving a PCM (or analogue) input signal. I am using a new HDMI V2.0 cable.

Any ideas?

DTS HD decoding - rtj70
What happens if you put a BluRay disk in and play that? :-)

Seriously, what's the source material? I don't think this will work with Dolby Digital (1.0 to 5.1), Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Atmos does it? Licensing issues.

Maybe it's being too clever.
OK OK it's BluRay.

It's not Atmos though is compatible with the others. Of course some are a matter of decoding the source codecs (Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS HD etc) and some are DSP techniques, I think DTS Virtual X is the latter. Though the issue is that the sound bar does not seem to recognise the BluRay signal as DTS or DTS HD or whatever. I'll have to fiddle with the BluRay player settings some more tomorrow ...

Thanks!
 DTS HD decoding - rtj70
Have you tried a non-Dolby source to see what it does. Because it might be it does it's virtual thing with non-surround (Dolby) audio but will never do from Dolby/DTS sources.
 DTS HD decoding - Falkirk Bairn
Read this yesterday - I do not know anything about connections but thought about this after reading (not understanding) the above.

Check your connections

This is key for making sure your soundbar can do everything you ask of it. Usually you just want the sound coming through the soundbar, so most soundbars will connect via your TV using HDMI connections.

Sonos, however, mainly uses optical cables to connect to your TV. These stream most audio formats and work with older TVs and modern 4K TVs. It is simpler to set up, however some 4K Blu-ray players may cause it to lose surround sound.

Most people will also want to be able to pair up their soundbar to their smartphone or tablet to play music. Lots of soundbars come with Bluetooth, but others pair up through your Wi-Fi, which can be more useful as it is not interrupted by phone notifications.
Thanks FB, it's connected by HDMI and a recent cable too.
>> Have you tried a non-Dolby source to see what it does. Because it might be
>> it does it's virtual thing with non-surround (Dolby) audio but will never do from Dolby/DTS
>> sources.
>>

The virtual thing is working, the issue is that it's apparently not receiving or not recognising DTS or Dolby Digital inputs.
 DTS HD decoding - tyrednemotional
...are all the device audio settings set correctly to generate (and pass) DTS signals?

If the device is connected via the TV, you'll need to check that the player isn't downmixing the material at source via the audio settings, and that the TV hasn't got a setting which is required to enable the passthru of encoded digital signals via HDMI (default may be downmixed PCM).

(I believe that some TVs aren't capable of the latter anyway).
 DTS HD decoding - Zero
I wouldn't worry about it, you won't miss it.
I've had it before, the soundbar replaces a 5.1 system the amp from which recognised the DTS and Dolby Digital from the BluRay player.
Sorted via BluRay player settings, now some discs such as La La Land are indicated as Dolby Digital and others such as Les Miserable are indicated as DTS.
 DTS HD decoding - Crankcase
Can you hear any difference?

I used to go through hoops to get my kit to output the "best" setting for whatever source I had, but it didn't take long to realise that other than a pretty light it was rare it seemed to make any odds, to be honest.
>> Can you hear any difference?
>>

I reckon, though it's not straightforward as some codecs can apparently be decoded by the BluRay player OR the amp/soundbar depending on the settings.
Latest Forum Posts