Non-motoring > Doves of Peace or Grenade in to the Room? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 18

Doves of Peace or Grenade in to the Room? - zippy
www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-middle-east-42255592

Well Trump has declared that Jerusalem is now Israel's capital.

He has just pee'd off a several hundred million Muslims.

The cynic in me thinks he has just brought lots of shares in arms and oil companies.
 Doves of Peace or Grenade in to the Room? - Bromptonaut
The guy is a complete ass hat. His advisers must have said ' I wouldn't do that if I were you Mr President' but he's done it anyway to keep US's Jewish vote in his pocket.
 Doves of Peace or Grenade in to the Room? - Zero
He was paid to do it.
 Doves of Peace or Grenade in to the Room? - R.P.
Well worth a listen

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09h3rcf

Ironically broadcast the evening before this bombshell - the man's a tit.
 Doves of Peace or Grenade in to the Room? - smokie
See, here in the UK we have Teresa in charge, and everyone moans that she isn't decisive, and therefore isn't the right person for PM.

Trump is certainly decisive and once he has an idea he goes with it come what may, even if a sizeable portion of his electorate may not agree. Yet he's branded as a tit (amongst other things).

They must feel they can't ever win...
 Doves of Peace or Grenade in to the Room? - Cliff Pope
Countries sometimes have their administrative capital distinct from their formal ceremonial or seat of government.
Where does the Israeli government meet? I'd have thought that's where you'd want your embassy, regardless of whether you or they call it the capital.
 Doves of Peace or Grenade in to the Room? - smokie
"The Knesset is located in Givat Ram, Jerusalem."

Ref en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knesset
 Doves of Peace or Grenade in to the Room? - madf
All he is doing is recognising a reality which has existed for 40 years.

It will make zero difference.. the Palestinians are divided amongst themselves. Last time they had a peace accord which gave them most of what they wanted they rejected it and the Israelis murdered their own PM.

Lots of public fuss will ensue and nothing will change..

(I am not saying who is right or wrong but being totally pragmatic)
 Doves of Peace or Grenade in to the Room? - Roger.
It's surely up to the Israelis to choose their capital?
Trump has merely recognised this.
If he's hacked off a bunch of Moslem fanatics, so what?
Those Moslem fanatics have hacked off the West for years. (9/11, anyone?)
There may be a smidgen of truth in Trump wanting to keep fellow Americans on-side: after all, it's said there are more Jewish people living in New York than in the whole of Israel!
>> It's surely up to the Israelis to choose their capital?
>> Trump has merely recognised this.

Not if he does so in defiance of UN etc.

>> If he's hacked off a bunch of Moslem fanatics, so what?
>> Those Moslem fanatics have hacked off the West for years. (9/11, anyone?)

The Palestinians have a serious point, recognised by UN etc. Writing them off as Moslem fanatics is just silly. The failure of West to hold Israel's feet to the fire in complying with obligations it has signed up to is without doubt the biggest source of heat behind Islamic terror etc.
 Doves of Peace or Grenade in to the Room? - No FM2R
>>is without doubt the biggest source of heat behind Islamic terror

The biggest? Without doubt? No, I don't think so.

>> The biggest? Without doubt? No, I don't think so.

Posted in haste during the short break at work when my 'callers holding' indicator was at 0.

The failure to deal fairly with Israel/ Palestine is a major source of Arab etc animosity towards the US. The situation also forms part of the likely narrative of radicalisation which keeps the terrorists active in West (as opposed to at home where ISIS etc is more of a Shia/Sunni thing).
 Doves of Peace or Grenade in to the Room? - Manatee
>> It's surely up to the Israelis to choose their capital?
>> Trump has merely recognised this.
>> If he's hacked off a bunch of Moslem fanatics, so what?
>> Those Moslem fanatics have hacked off the West for years. (9/11, anyone?)
>> There may be a smidgen of truth in Trump wanting to keep fellow Americans on-side:
>> after all, it's said there are more Jewish people living in New York than in
>> the whole of Israel!

What Trump has done is to fail to waive, as past Presidents have done every 6 months since 1995, a decision voted for overwhelmingly by Congress in 1995 to move the embassy to Jerusalem in 1996. Congress has been content with this waiving and still is, excepting a small majority amongst Republicans.

www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2017/12/06/in-1995-congress-reached-a-compromise-on-the-issue-of-jerusalem-trump-is-poised-to-end-it/

There is also the small matter of Israel's claim to east Jersualem, the old city, and temple mount being based on its pre-emptive occupation in 1967 and subsequent unilateral declaration of the city as its capital in 1980.

It's anything but simple, and those in opposition to Trump clearly think it undermines such stability (I won't say peace) as there is.

Jerusalem is a fascinating place, well worth a visit, but I think it is probably impossible for many, me anyway, fully to grasp the significance of it to Christianity, Judaism, and Islam.
>> All he is doing is recognising a reality which has existed for 40 years.
>>

A reality which is not recognised internationally including by the UN (Resolution 242 anybody?).

It also makes a difference if it's in West Jerusalem (just about OK) or East Jerusalem (definitely not OK). Trump could have clarified that but didn't.
 Doves of Peace or Grenade in to the Room? - Hard Cheese
As is often the case the truth is somewhere in the middle.

On one hand all Trump is doing is actioning a policy espoused by his predecessors, the last three or four anyway, though the timing is poor and that is his mistake, it will prove inflammatory.
 Doves of Peace or Grenade in to the Room? - No FM2R
This whole Trump thing is difficult to grasp, especially the potential implications.

a*** though he undoubtedly is, he is bringing things out in the open which have been hidden in dark alleyways for too long.

In this case, for example, the US's approach to Israel has always been of dubious motivation and appropriateness, Trump has done little more than bring that forcibly out into the open. Not that I am attributing any finer emotion or motivation to him, but perhaps the result will be to force these things to be finally dealt with.
 Doves of Peace or Grenade in to the Room? - CGNorwich
I fear Mr Trump has never read the “Diplomatic Platypus“ or he might have foreseen the appalling effects of a rash Diplomatic move.

www.poemhunter.com/poem/the-diplomatic-platypus/
www.thebeaverton.com/2017/12/palestinians-recognize-texas-part-mexico/

Doves of Peace or Grenade in to the Room? - CGNorwich
Glad someone appreciated it.
Latest Forum Posts