Non-motoring > Breathing Problems Gets Worse in Cold Weather Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 9

Breathing Problems Gets Worse in Cold Weather - zippy
I have difficulty getting a full breath at times, the "swallowing" breath reflex does not "work" at times.

I take a Sulbutamol inhaler but this seems to be only moderately effective in the summer and hardly effective in the winter when the problem seems to get much worse.

Doctors don't seem to want to go further with this but I was wondering if anyone else has a similar problem, especially with cold weather and if so, what they do to help?
 Breathing Problems Gets Worse in Cold Weather - Ambo
This sounds like a serious matter to me and I would ask for a consultant referral if your GP can't help.

Are you a smoker? I gave up smoking over 40 years ago but the damage I had done to my lungs means that they are now below normal capacity for my age, although yearly COPD examinations do not show any further deterioration. I have episodes of shortage of breath after exertion but they are overcome by a moment or two of rest. I use a Ventolin inhaler but for occasional episodes of dry cough, mostly in the hay fever season.
Smoking - about a dozen packets over my life. Usually in singles from the corner shop on the way home from school when a lad or after a heavy night (party) so that's two or three cigarettes a year really.
 Breathing Problems Gets Worse in Cold Weather - No FM2R
>>I have difficulty getting a full breath at times, the "swallowing" breath reflex does not "work" at times.

I don't know what that is, but bear in mind that it may well be that you are not breathing out properly, which will prevent you taking a full breath in.

Forcing yourself to breath in may be missing the point.

Nonetheless, its Doctor time really. I know that you said they don't want to take it forward, but you need to insist until you get to the bottom of it. There are so many things it could be and some of them are serious.

As an asthmatic I am not affected by the cold weather, unless I wrap myself up too warmly. Dunno why.

If Ventolin / Aerolin / Salbutamol is not effective, then you need to try other remedies and other approaches. As I said, you need a Doctor to help.
 Breathing Problems Gets Worse in Cold Weather - smokie
getreferralmd.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/find-a-doctor.gif :-)
 Breathing Problems Gets Worse in Cold Weather - Ambo
>>it may well be that you are not breathing out properly

Indeed and someone dealing with voice in your local general hospital's speech and language service might give you correctional exercises. If they spotted anything else amiss they would refer you to the right consultant.

Went through the consultant thing when in my early 20s for this.

Outcome was that the nerves triggering the reflex were probably in the wrong place or not working properly.

Just know that right at the moment I am really struggling to get a full breath!
 Breathing Problems Gets Worse in Cold Weather - Hard Cheese
I have had an on going issue for many years that affects my lung's ability to transfer oxygen and total lung capacity, asthmatic type symptoms, it also gives an irregular heartbeat.
Though I can actually breath better in cold, fresh weather.
 Breathing Problems Gets Worse in Cold Weather - No FM2R
Sorry, which reflex are you talking about?
Correction the nerves triggering when the lungs were full.
Latest Forum Posts