Non-motoring > Any snow your way? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 105

Any snow your way? - Zero
Coldest week of the year I hear? Snow?

Not here in Tenerife, arrived Sat evening, 20c yesterday, 21 promised today. Just munching breakfast to live jazz in the resort hotel
 Any snow your way? - Bromptonaut
>> Coldest week of the year I hear? Snow?
>>
>> Not here in Tenerife, arrived Sat evening, 20c yesterday, 21 promised today. Just munching breakfast
>> to live jazz in the resort hotel

Not yet. Froze in night and we might get a dusting later in week. Won't be rushing out for winter tyres though.
 Any snow your way? - zippy
Sarf east coast here. Snow about 2 inches deep and still coming down.
 Any snow your way? - R.P.
Nothing here in north Wales. Clwyd valley has a series of microclimates - light dusting of something on the hills opposite - might be frost. Otherwise a grey day. Been out to start the bike and it was chilly. Dragon Rally this weekend so spring must be in the air. Daffs been out for a while in the village.
Last edited by: R.P. on Mon 5 Feb 18 at 09:38
Occasional whisp of cloud breaks off snow covered Mount Tiede and dims the sun briefly but it's lovely here. Princess Z,s favourite new companion - Strawberry Mojito -turned up at Sunset

With the aid of Turbo VPN and the hotel WiFi, I managed to pusuade iPlayer to stream the Superbowl live on my tablet sitting on the hotel balcony to the surf background, icy tumblers of Disarono in my mit
Jazz is only good in smokey clubs with a heady mixture of stimulants (so I'm told) definitely not right at breakfast time.
Disagree with you there ole fella, depends on your flavour of Jazz, I have a distinct leaning towards Jazz Funk or Latin Jazz Funk, but I will be Seeing Matt Bianco at the 100 club in march, and it don't get smaller, smokier* or more stimulant laden than that

* Before the smoking ban of course
 Any snow your way? - Bobby
Ah Mount Teide!! Memories!!!

Either 92/93, white Fiat UNO hire Car, 4 adults.
Managed to get it to the top through the clouds but coming down the brakes kind of frazzled and had to do a good bit of using the low gears to slow down!

We were also staying at a resort that looked good in the photos but the reality was it was obviously still in the build stages!
 Any snow your way? - Dog
So, nuffink 'ere, like. Jamjar was white (well, it is white, mate) this morgen, had to bung the fan eater in there @ 6:45am.

Broiler didn't freeze up (external Grant oil) I should really have left the thing switched on all night!

Snow 'n ice here on Wednesday, wonder howl the 4x4 CR-V will get on with its Dunlop Grandtrek tyres??

7° in Valencia this morning - Canaries are best at this time of the year for cheap winter sun.
 Any snow your way? - DP
Hard frost here in Surrey/Hants border, but no snow. Got down to about -4°C overnight. Still only -1.5°C now (10:20AM).

We have seen no snow at all this winter, barring the odd 10 minute flurry that turns back to rain. I don't see that changing this week, somehow.
 Any snow your way? - bathtub tom
Zeddo's gaff's empty. How about a few of the lads go and turn the place over? He's got a new set of wheels, so there's probably some tasty stuff to be had.

;>)
 Any snow your way? - sooty123
Snowed for about 10 mins last night, that's it. Nippy this morning but that's it. We get very little snow around here, fog is more the issue.
Spoke too soon, just started snowing.
The tasty new wheels are parked elsewhere and still there according to my app
 Any snow your way? - legacylad
With titchy 18” rims who’s gonna nick that? And green cars are unlucky. Move along.
I flew home from Tenner Iffy sat PM after 5 days. Very last minute cheapo flight on specific dates from LBA, tried to book two seats but only one available, so gf a bit miffed and went to spend time with her daughter instead!
Low 20s in the sun and out of the wind, but sea still a bit cool but you got used to it. Binge watched ‘ Better call Saul’ Friday afternoon whilst sat on my balcony looking out to sea, which was the only day it was overcast
No snow at lower levels in Upper Ribblesdale, but there is on the tops
Snow forecast tomorrow
 Any snow your way? - Ted

Nothing here in the warmer city. Dry day but overcast 'til lunchtime. Ruddy cold even without windchill. Me right fumb seized up and made holding the soup spoon at lunch interesting.

Spent the day in the garage, had trouble getting the Jowett started, but putting a gallon of fuel in sorted it ! Had to come in for a cuppa at 1500 hrs so spent 20 minutes sat by the radiator in the bay window with the dog on my knee watching the schoolkids going past. Warmed me hands up on the dog's belly....she wasn't too impressed and ran for her mum in the lounge.
 Any snow your way? - Robin O'Reliant
Frost this morning, had to pour some lukewarm water over the windows to shift it. Cold today but pleasant with no wind.

We are forecast a dusting in the early hours tomorrow.
 Any snow your way? - No FM2R
>>20c yesterday, 21 promised today

Quite genuinely at 20c I am wearing boots, jeans and a fleece.

Fortunately here its a more civilized 30 degrees and forecast to warm up by the weekend.
>> >
>>
>> Quite genuinely at 20c I am wearing boots, jeans and a fleece.
>>
>> Fortunately here its a more civilized 30 degrees and forecast to warm up by the
>> weekend.
>>
We really appreciate you telling us that.

Now, haven't you got to go away and do an oil change, or something?
>>Now, haven't you got to go away and do an oil change, or something?

It hasn't used up the last lot yet.
Quite genuinely at 20c I am wearing boots, jeans and a fleece.
>>
>> Fortunately here its a more civilized 30 degrees and forecast to warm up by the
>> weekend.
>>

Talking of such matters, I saw someone about 2 days ago outside in shorts, t shirt and flip flops it was about 4c. I did a double take, pretty unusual I thought.
>> Talking of such matters, I saw someone about 2 days ago outside in shorts,

Our postie habitually jogs about his round in shorts throughout year. As somebody who's reluctant to don shorts at Mediterranean temperatures I'm left in awe.
 Any snow your way? - CGNorwich
Irrational I know but I could no more wear shorts than I could wear a baseball cap. No worse look than old men in shorts in my view.
>> Irrational I know but I could no more wear shorts than I could wear a
>> baseball cap. No worse look than old men in shorts in my view.
>>
Not all of us have short, stumpy little legs ;-)
Today I was wearing shorts and a baseball cap, and at 63 guess I class as old

But, I didn't have my shirt tucked in my shorts with a belt holding them up , I wasn't wearing socks and sandals but trainers,no socks and the shorts were near knee length Bermuda's

And I don't have white haired varicose veins legs
---so you say.
 Any snow your way? - CGNorwich
At 63 you should know better. Do you have a pair of Crocs as well?
Shorts for me all day long when in warmer climes. I have a few smart pairs of Haglofs ( a Scandinavian outdoor brand) paired with flip flops or Chaco rafting sandals when out walking.
Long trousers in the evening when the dress code dictates, with a smart short sleeved shirt and nice shoes with socks.
But never socks with sandals....
Never had Crocs or similar.... prefer my Snoopy & Woodstock yellow Havaianas
I’m not far behind Zero in age....
And I don’t like those 3/4 trousers which finish mid calf, or zip off convertibles
Last edited by: legacylad on Mon 5 Feb 18 at 22:25
 Any snow your way? - Hard Cheese
>>with a smart short sleeved shirt and nice shoes with socks.
>>

Hmm, "smart" and "short sleeved shirt" are mutually exclusive. A shirt has to be long sleeved to be at all smart, the alternative being a smart polo.

>>or zip off convertibles
>>
Zip off walking trousers are great.
>> >>with a smart short sleeved shirt and nice shoes with socks.
>> >>
>>
>> Hmm, "smart" and "short sleeved shirt" are mutually exclusive. A shirt has to be long
>> sleeved to be at all smart, the alternative being a smart polo

Cob lers. A well made well cut short sleeve shirt can look just as good as a long sleeve one. Specially grandad collarless. You can't wear a tie with either tho. The former because it makes you look like a second rate shipping clerk from gozo, the later because, well, it hasn't a collar
....collarless....!
>> A well made well cut short sleeve shirt can look just as good
>> as a long sleeve one. >>

Nope, short sleeved shirts state no taste, particularly if worn with a tie.

>> Specially grandad collarless.>>

Now I know why you bought an SE not an M-Sport ...

>>
>> Now I know why you bought an SE not an M-Sport ...
>>

Says the man who has to make up for lack of cylinders and HP with stick on badges
>>
>> Says the man who has to make up for lack of cylinders and HP with
>> stick on badges
>>

Mods - where's my previous reply to this gone?

Z can give it though cant take it, it's a shame though it simply reflects badly on him if he has to resort to calling others a fraud ...
Last edited by: Hard Cheese on Tue 6 Feb 18 at 18:57
 Any snow your way? - rtj70
I think some editing might be ongoing.... I think one of your replies and others have gone too. But I have no issue with the moderation.... if there is some.
>> I think some editing might be ongoing.... I think one of your replies and others
>> have gone too. >>

Thanks RTJ. Frankly I'm livid that someone has deleted my reply to Zero's ridiculous comment while leaving the said almost libellous comment in place.

The only saving grace is that it reflects poorly on Zero ...
 Any snow your way? - Manatee
You reaction seems disproportionate.

I thought he was just baiting you about your M sport badges in the same way as you presumably meant your dig at his sartorial sense and his SE.

He'll be pleased at your response I'm sure:)
>> You reaction seems disproportionate.
>>

Not IMO Manatee.

SE and M-Sport are trim levels on the 5-Series Zero drives, I was joking and certainly did not infer that he has not actually got such a car and instead has stuck badges on a lesser car.
>> You reaction seems disproportionate.
>>
>> I thought he was just baiting you about your M sport badges in the same
>> way as you presumably meant your dig at his sartorial sense and his SE.
>>
>> He'll be pleased at your response I'm sure:)

Indeed, it's almost what one would expect from a short sleeve shirt wearer in denial

>> Hmm, "smart" and "short sleeved shirt" are mutually exclusive. A shirt has to be long
>> sleeved to be at all smart, the alternative being a smart polo.

Very right.

>> Zip off walking trousers are great.

Very, very wrong.
Can't abide crocks, everyone who wears them walks like a cripple
>> Our postie habitually jogs about his round in shorts throughout year. As somebody who's reluctant>> to don shorts at Mediterranean temperatures I'm left in awe.
>>

Why's that, need it to get really hot before you wear them, or dislike them for some reason? I wear them pretty often, I had them on in January in the med last year. I was over there for several months and remember a couple of nice days early on so took the opportunity to wear them. Weren't too many days mind it was chuffing cold for most of January and lots of February.
>> Why's that, need it to get really hot before you wear them, or dislike them
>> for some reason?

I dislike wearing them as I find they're often less comfortable than the Rohan bags I habitually wear year round. Being very slightly built and looking like a stick man doesn't help. I'd never wear them after returning home so no worries about white legs and if I avoid shorts abroad I avoid sunburned knees.

Then there's another conundrum with shorts over footwear. Trainers and trainer socks? LAst few pairs of sandals I've had are difficult to drive in and flip flops are downright dangerous from that point of view.

After a run in or two with sunstroke I do have a couple of decent pale coloured baseball caps.

Quite happy to wear short sleeve shirts in summer. In current line of work ties are discouraged as making us look too official. Never worried about short sleeves plus collar/tie even in quite formal environments in Civil Service though, certainly not in later years. Had my sleeves rolled up anyway!

I dislike wearing them as I find they're often less comfortable than the Rohan bags

I'm not sure what a rohan bag is?

I quite like wearing shorts, even when only just warm I feel quite stuffy and hot especially on my legs so take the earliest opportunity to wear them. I spend a lot of time working outside so feel the warm quite quickly.

Never worried about short sleeves plus collar/tie
>> even in quite formal environments in Civil Service though, certainly not in later years.

Does that mean you actually wore a tie with a short sleeve short?
>> I'm not sure what a rohan bag is?

Rohan Bags:

www.rohan.co.uk/mens-travel-and-outdoor-trousers-Bags-?ocode=03862K18

Wouldn't pay full price though, they're usually available in website's sale area for around £30-40. Wash/dry in a trice and last for ever.

>> Does that mean you actually wore a tie with a short sleeve short?

Yep, fairly common combination I think. Certainly not the only man in the office who did so. Always thought that was reason M&S etc all sell short sleeve versions of their standard poly-cotton shirts in white, cream, blue etc.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 6 Feb 18 at 17:01
>> Rohan Bags:
>>

Rohan is good stuff and good value at outlet prices.

>>
>> >> Does that mean you actually wore a tie with a short sleeve short?
>>
>> Yep, fairly common combination I think. >>

A short sleeved shirt and tie is the height of bad taste, "common" is perhaps the ideal word ;-)
>> A short sleeved shirt and tie is the height of bad taste, "common" is perhaps
>> the ideal word ;-)

The sort of people who think it 'common' would be the sort to convince me the combination was a badge of pride :-)

>> A short sleeved shirt and tie is the height of bad taste, "common" is perhaps
>> the ideal word ;-)

I have done it times many. That's an advantage of being common, if I think I'll be more comfortable in a short sleeve I'll wear one.

These days I'm more likely to be the only member of the pension board I sit on wearing a long sleeve with no suit or tie. I can also get away with the most 'outrageous' proposals and questions because I am considered eccentric.
>>A short sleeved shirt and tie is the height of bad taste,

Slightly below the height. Sandals with socks rise a little higher
>> >>A short sleeved shirt and tie is the height of bad taste,
>>
>> Slightly below the height. Sandals with socks rise a little higher
>>

How about both at the same time?
Then you have to buy a BMW

>> How about both at the same time?

Might as well and I would if I wanted to - do you really care about this stuff?

I'll dress conventionally when appropriate. It would be very poor taste to stand out at a funeral for example, and silly to look scruffy or careless of one's appearance at at interview or a sales pitch.

Fashionably? Never.
>> Fashionably? Never.

I remember the First Years New Arrivals in Cambridge every year. So determined to avoid all fashion and be non-conformist that they actually all ended up wearing the same stuff.

I quite understand not wearing something just because its fashion, but why avoid it just because its fashion? Surely both are paying far too much attention to others' opinions?

In any case, style *never* goes out of fashion. But the style handbook specifically excludes sandals with socks.
> Might as well and I would if I wanted to - do you really care
>> about this stuff?

Well we both do on some level or we wouldn't be having this nice little discussion.

Fashionably? Never.

No need to avoid things just because they are fashionable. Anyway convention and fashion aren't totally unknown bedfellows.
 Any snow your way? - PeterS
>> the ideal word ;-)

There’s nothing wrong with a short sleeved shirt and a tie, in the right setting. Indeed, it’s atandard issue for McDonalds staff. And possibly a service receptionist. Which is why it’s never been an acceptable mode of attire in a professional environment, IMO.

I’ve never worked anywhere where it’d be remotely the norm to wear such an outfit. Indeed, can one even buy short sleeved ‘smart’ shirts nowadays?

Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 7 Feb 18 at 02:08
Oh, and it’s minus 5 Berlin. Takes your breath away :p

No snow though, or short sleeved shirts
 Any snow your way? - Dog
=>minus 5 Berlin. Takes your breath away

Pah! .. mine ass 12° in Moss cow.
 Any snow your way? - rtj70
>> Indeed, can one even buy short sleeved ‘smart’ shirts nowadays?

Yes you can in Marks and Spencer's..... I've got home before now and realised my mistake. Doh.
>> Indeed, it’s atandard issue for McDonalds staff. And possibly a service receptionist. Which is why
>> it’s never been an acceptable mode of attire in a professional environment, IMO.

Genuinely stunned by this level of, for want of a better word, snobbery.

As I said above short sleeved versions of 'smart' shirts are certainly in ranges of M&S etc. Whether 'tailors' like Tyrwhitt etc do them is another question. Wearing them was never an issue at my level as middle manager/senior administrator including meetings of a GB wide Quango even with attendance of junior Minsters or top bananas from other departments. But I was sat at back taking minutes and making sure technology worked.

Whether I'd have worn one if attending Departmental Board or meeting the Lord Chancellor 1 to 1
might have been another question.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 6 Feb 18 at 22:58
 Any snow your way? - Roger.

>> I was sat at back taking minutes and making sure technology worked.

MY turn for the pedant's role..............................

I was sitting at back taking minutes and making sure technology worked.
(I'll pass on the two missing definite articles)
>> I was sitting at back taking minutes and making sure technology worked.
>> (I'll pass on the two missing definite articles)

Perhaps somebody sat him there Roger.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 7 Feb 18 at 02:08
> MY turn for the pedant's role..............................
>>
>> I was sitting at back taking minutes and making sure technology worked.
>> (I'll pass on the two missing definite articles)

Those winter nights must just fly by eh?
>>Genuinely stunned

Really? Doesn't take much then.

I'm not sure I would use a Government Quango, civil servants or top bananas as any guide to sartorial elegance, and certainly no guide as to what is acceptable or not.

Civil servants in the UK are amongst the shabbiest dressed people I have worked with. Pretty much on a par with BBC Engineering I'd say.
>> Genuinely stunned by this level of, for want of a better word, snobbery.

I wouldn't really call it snobbery, it's just that a tie and a look sleeve shirt look *awful* in taste/style/fashion/whatever sense.

Always reminds me of 70s American office wear. Nuff said.
Is it appropriate for the badly dressed facilities co ordinator who has been told to sit at the back and take minutes to comment on the dress code
>> >> Indeed, it’s atandard issue for McDonalds staff. And possibly a service receptionist. Which is
>> why
>> >> it’s never been an acceptable mode of attire in a professional environment, IMO.
>>
>> Genuinely stunned by this level of, for want of a better word, snobbery.
>>

And I’m genuinely amazed you think it’s snobbery. It’s about practicality. Short sleeved shirts are worn in catering primarily for hygiene reasons, though as a secondary reason they tend to be hotter working environments. They’re also worn in environments where the sleeves are likely to get dirty. Service receptions, photocopier repairs etc. Some companies make them wear a tie, which generally looks a bit silly.

I have never seen worn, nor has it occurred to me to wear, short sleeved shirts and ties in an office in the UK. Even school uniforms had long sleeved shirts. But then I haven’t worked for the council or government. Perhaps they have dirtier desks ;)
 Any snow your way? - Lygonos
Wore a shirt and tie for first couple of years as a GP.

Past 15 years have worn plain T-shirt/fleece/trainers (for 10 years Adidas Samba in blue suede but the size 11 aren't comfortable any more - now wearing Merrell Moab walking trainers and super-comfy). Trousers are almost invariably Craghopper Kiwi (regular or winter-lined depending upon ambient temperature and need for house visits) with a nice belt than the nylon jobby that comes with them.

Wear exactly the same to meetings up to and including Health Board level.

Only wear shirt and tie now for interviews.

Got my kilt in a cupboard - comes out once every couple of years for wedding type functions.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Wed 7 Feb 18 at 16:38
Virtually all meetings I attend require a tie, at least in the early days. It depends on the audience as to whether that goes with blazer & trousers or a suit.

Its a b***** inconvenience because about 50% of the time it's in a damned hot country.

But, and I'm almost embarrassed to admit it here, I do judge people, at least partly, by how they dress in any given environment or circumstance.
 Any snow your way? - Lygonos
>> I do judge people, at least partly, by how they dress in any given environment or circumstance.

This is why I wear 'uniform' for interviews - when strangers are making decisions on my future I want to minimise any bias.

In meetings (where most of the others in attendance know me), however, I don't give a toot and what-you-see is what-you-get - I think if I showed up in a suit they'd think I was just back from court!
> Rohan Bags:
>>
>> www.rohan.co.uk/mens-travel-and-outdoor-trousers-Bags-?ocode=03862K18

The name threw me, I did think why is he wearing bags on his legs :)

> Does that mean you actually wore a tie with a short sleeve short?
>>
>> Yep, fairly common combination I think. Certainly not the only man in the office who
>> did so.

Dear Lord no, words fail me.
Snow in Stuttgart at the weekend, if that helps. MB museum v interesting though, and good blend of motoring and social history. Berlin tomorrow (work) and I’m fully expecting it to be very chilly. W Sussex still okay, though a bit of a frost this morning!
Was sailing off the jurassic coast this weekend, it was cold and fresh, a little rain on Sat AM and quite blowy yesterday (Force 7) though sunny. Fresh in the south west today though no snow.
Rarely shorts for me either, shirt out. Usually a pair of decent sandals. My current affiliation to Ecco mean I have a pair of their sandals. Never, ever worn a baseball cap in public. Have a decent narrow brimmed cricket hat of uncertain vintage as and when required.
 Any snow your way? - Crankcase
Things I have never worn or owned:

Shorts
Trainers
Jeans
Hoodie? Flip flops? They must go well with your tweed trousers
Strange, even someone who's 90 surely must have had jeans and trainers in their 40's and 50's.

I've got more jeans and shorts and trainers/walking shoes than I have anything "smart".
Mid fifties, thank you!

No flip flops, hoods or tweed trousers either.

When I moved out of what seemed like permanent school uniform I went to M&S, and bought pretty much what I've worn ever since. Clothes are the least interesting thing in my life I reckon. Most last many years.

*thinks to self* Hmm, why am I posting about clothes then? The inner me probably wants a tattoo and a clown suit. Well, the inner me can go whistle.
I'm also mid 50s, not sure I could find anything suitable in M&S, I bought a pair of Rowan type walking trousers in M&S about ten years ago, they're still going strong though they weren't a regular line. guess I might find some chinos ...
 Any snow your way? - hawkeye
>> Clothes are the least interesting thing
>> in my life I reckon. Most last many years.
>>

Kindred spirit here. Doesn't stop Mrs H trying to encourage me to dress like the bloke she wishes I would become though.
>> When I moved out of what seemed like permanent school uniform I went to M&S,
>> and bought pretty much what I've worn ever since. Clothes are the least interesting thing
>> in my life I reckon. Most last many years.

I've heard most things, I think, but I can't imagine a teenager leaving school and going clothes shopping at m&s and only there forever. Perhaps it's my lack of imagination.
 Any snow your way? - Dog
Bet ewe ain't got a pair of: hiutdenim.co.uk/collections/mens

>> I've got more jeans and shorts and trainers/walking shoes than I have anything "smart".

I'm about 50/50, I think. Though I am no great fan of jeans, I find them very heavy. But I'd guess I dress some kind of smartly no more than twice a month.

Put the shorts on some time in September, don't go back to long trousers until June ish. Work & smart events excepted. Massively prefer shorts. Mostly just above the knee. Fortunately whilst my legs may be old, they are not white.

I do own sandals, but prefer deck shoes. I specialise in taking high quality, expensive shoes and making them look tatty and cheap.
>> Put the shorts on some time in September, don't go back to long trousers until
>> June ish. Work & smart events excepted. Massively prefer shorts. Mostly just above the knee. Fortunately whilst my legs may be old, they are not white.

I'm in shorts from May to November, my legs being trim from years of cycling and I tan easily. As for shirts, I don't even own a long sleeve shirt and haven't worn one since the early eighties when I had a uniform job.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 7 Feb 18 at 02:09
 Any snow your way? - neiltoo
>> I specialise in taking high quality, expensive shoes and making them look tatty and cheap.

I can turn any item of smart attire into a rag within about twenty minutes!!

8o)
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 7 Feb 18 at 10:25
>> Strange, even someone who's 90 surely must have had jeans and trainers in their 40's
>> and 50's.

I never wear jeans unless doing a mucky job. I have a couple of pairs for car washing and garden work. I have never worn trainers since I had a go at jogging in 1978 (bored after 2 miles, never done it since).

I realise I am the odd man out here but they are mucky clothes and sportswear to me.

There is I suppose a new conventional reason for not wearing short sleeves in the office, now that for many it would mean displaying hideous tattoos.
>> Strange, even someone who's 90 surely must have had jeans and trainers in their 40's
>> and 50's.

Wore jeans, mostly Levi's, in my early twenties as fashion and almost a uniform. Gradually realised they wear out quickly, are heavy to pack, soak up water like a sponge if you're caught in a rain shower and take forever to dry. Last pair I owned were left in a youth hostel drying room after just such an event.

About the same time I discovered the aforementioned Rohan Bags. Last forever, pack tiny and dry in no time.
 Any snow your way? - Fenlander
Funny thing Jeans... they're either right or totally not. 62 this year and I wear them every day as I have done since a kid. It's generally agreed amongst my peers they are my personal style and don't look out of place. I have simple tastes though so all I have in addition is a collection of "band" t-shirts and a bomber jacket for the most casual occasions and summer... then check shirts and keepers tweed jacket for more formal (ha ha) and winter. Suit only for the occasional wedding/funeral... don't ever have a need for interviews.

I do agree with NoFM re expecting certain clothing in certain circumstances and noticing if someone stands out... hence I have a horseracing outfit that's neither jeans nor suit.
 Any snow your way? - Dog
=> Suit only for the occasional wedding/funeral...

What's a suit??

:o}
 Any snow your way? - Duncan
>> => Suit only for the occasional wedding/funeral...
>>
>> What's a suit??

www.moss.co.uk/race-day-outfits
 Any snow your way? - Dog
Reminds me of c1968 when I was working in Beak St. orf Regent street and had to deliver a naked male dummy thingy (manikin?) to Moss Bros in the Strand ... did I get some funny looks!! [I worked for a film co.]
 Any snow your way? - hawkeye
Back on topic; it's been snowing half-heartedly for a couple of hours but the green and the river banks are barely a shade paler than they were yesterday. Roads are soggy and tarmac-coloured and my car is vibrant red still. Bit of a non-event and absolutely no snowman-making potential.
I went to M&S at one time. Their Blue Harbour stuff was OK, but the trousers (Chinos) were really poor cut and quality compared to other department stores and I actually binned two pairs after a few wears as they ended up looking like bin bags on my legs. I also bought the so-called "active waist" ones - they were relegated to third line duties..guess I'm no er..."active" enough for them and still have a waist
Hmmmmmm, looking back over the year, footwear has mostly been procured in a raid in the Sketchers shop in Ashford factory outlet, casual clothes mostly from H&M and TKMax, the odd item in a Spanish Mango and Zara, a yearly trip to the Lakeland factory outlet at Oakham, a yearly trip to the Fatface discount outlet at Brancaster and the odd item at Supadry

Oh and a shirt from the Laura Ashley online store at half price
Fatface are OK, especially their proper winter shirts (bought half price in Summer) and their jeans.
Agreed re Fatface jeans, Gap are also good for jeans.
Re jeans.
The females in my life the past 15 years have all favoured Pepe jeans
I’m old school. Levi 501s. Navy, black, dark or light grey. Wardrobes full of em.
 Any snow your way? - Pat
Wranglers for me.

Pat
You've shopped in more places in one year than I have in my life, I reckon. Not heard of some of those and not visited most.

Not sure if I'be missed anything though. For me. Each to their own I guess.
With you on the collarless shirts Crankcase. I don't do shopping in stores. Click to buy what I want.
>> You've shopped in more places in one year than I have in my life, I
>> reckon. Not heard of some of those and not visited most.
>>
>> Not sure if I'be missed anything though. For me. Each to their own I guess.

Great chunks of life seem to have passed you by
When I worked in the outdoor gear industry for a few years recently, one of the perks to offset minimum wage was being able to buy everything at trade, even wholesale if we promised to wear the garments to work.
I took full advantage and have enough outdoor clothing to last a lifetime....even if we didn’t sell the stuff in the shop, we could order from the manuf catalogue when the rep called.
I left several years ago and buying new activity footwear at retail is expensive...got lucky in some recent sales at JL, with a pair of heavily discounted Red Wing chukkas and a few pair of Loakes and Barker ‘substandards’ from Charles Clinkard in Leeds.
Last edited by: legacylad on Tue 6 Feb 18 at 10:42
Just walked past Ede and Ravenscroft in town. Sale. Black shoes in the window, don't look very different to the £30 Clarks I have on that lasted a year so far.

£600. In the sale.

Blimey.
Cambridge is getting a reputation as the country's most unequal city.
 Any snow your way? - Roger.
M & S blue jeans in winter. M & S cotton trousers in summer.
M & S socks, Debenham's Maine shirts, M & S underwear, Hotter shoes (except my much derided Chinese driving shoes)
I have an M & S suit - ages old, little worn and therefore in good nick, plus an M & S maroon blazer worn with one of my three pairs of lightweight M & S more formal trousers.
Simple stuff. I don't believe in pratting about with fashion at my age.
I must confess in my younger days I used to go for blue mohair suits made to measure by Jack Rose tailors in Rye Lane, Peckham. I always had two pairs of trousers as mohair wore out quite quickly between the legs! Flash linings, too:-)
>> M & S blue jeans in winter. M & S cotton trousers in summer.
>>
>>
M&S slimfit blue jeans in winter, workmans shorts spring through autumn. Plenty of pockets in said shorts, handy for carrying phone, cigarettes, keys, cash and all the other junk when you don't wear a jacket.

I don't even own a suit, several pairs of smart trousers and a jacket for formal occasions.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Thu 8 Feb 18 at 15:18
Latest Forum Posts