Non-motoring > Holiday woe Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 11

Holiday woe - legacylad
A few years ago I discovered Moraira on the Costa Blanca, and have returned with friends on a regular basis ever since. Spent 4 weeks there last Feb with a friend, next door but one to other friends, and 1/4 mile from more friends. We rebooked the same 2 bed detavhed bungalow accommodation several months ago, departing this Sunday, for 6 weeks, meeting up with our usual bunch of friends who are already out there.
Our accommodation is not luxury, but the location is A1, an equidistant 15 min walk to the fleshpots of Moraira and the beautiful small bay at El Portet.
Had a phone call today from the agents to say that the property we booked, with deposit, was no longer available. It’s being sold to pay a tax bill, the locks have been changed, all confirmed by our friends who are staying next door but one.
We’ve been offered a luxury villa at the same price.But it’s 6 miles inland. No more popping next door to friends for evening drinks and meals, walking into town and wobbling home.
Ruddy inconvenient at best.... we’ve now got 5 days to find alternate accommodation which is both convenient and cheap... we were paying £225 week between us, plus gas & Electric.
Pah
 Holiday woe - No FM2R
What an utter PITA.

Get the friends already out there to wander about looking for rental signs. If its in a condominium or other community, get them to ask at the manager's office. Get them to ask in the bars.

Etc. etc.
 Holiday woe - legacylad
The location of ‘our’ small attached bungalow was a very quiet residential street... primarily nice detached villas in large plots. There are an unbelievable number of sales and letting agents in Moraira....I use one of them when I return in May, taking my old Mum ( and friends) to a lovely villa which she enjoyed last year.
My friends are on it....but not fair to expect them to spend days trawling the agents on our behalf. I’ll send emails to agents tomorrow.
Total PITA. Doubt we’ll find anything so cheap & convenient.
 Holiday woe - rtj70
A PITA it is.

You try to do it independently and it goes wrong. But you can book with a large holiday company and that can go wrong too - look what happened with Monarch last October.

Hope you get something sorted.
 Holiday woe - legacylad
Thanks rtj70

Last year it all went swimmingly. Met the agent on site when we arrived, paid the balance in full, he spent a good hour explaining everything.
The following day we complained about the seen better days sunloungers. Not that we planned to use them much, but they were replaced by brand new ones within 24 hours. Our WiFi went down with 5 days remaining out of 28, so our bill for gas and electric was cancelled.
As I said, great location, good value, a place I would happily recommend...£16 a night each you can’t complain...half that if there were 4 people sharing, which there were on occasion when friends joined us for the odd week.

Fingers crossed we can find somewhere else in the locality for 6 weeks at such short notice.
 Holiday woe - No FM2R
If you need Spanish language support, you only have to ask, I'm quite happy to make whatever phone calls you need.

We're 3 hours different to UK at the moment.
 Holiday woe - legacylad
Gracias No FM2R

It appears that the owners of the property owed substantial taxes to several parties, so from what I gather it’s been repossessed and put on the market. The agents have offered a nice villa for the same price but in the wrong location. I’m requesting somewhere closer to the original...if not a refund of our deposit.

Friends are visiting local agents today and already contacted myself, but those available in the locality are much larger and twice the price. Friends of friends, where we stayed in November, have a great villa in a good location, so I’m waiting to hear if it’s currently occupied or at least available some of our planned 6 weeks.

Holiday woe - Mapmaker
Try airbnb too.
 Holiday woe - legacylad
Sorted thankyou.
Spent a few hours online... happy to move a few times whilst out there for 6 weeks, but in the end the company I normally use had one property 1.9km from town available for the duration.
A deal was done
A sobering uphill walk home every evening....
 Holiday woe - No FM2R
Great. I think you said you're flying Sunday? Have a great time.
 Holiday woe - rtj70
Have a good time.

I think the owner of the property that let you down should offer you a cheap taxi service to apologise.
 Holiday woe - legacylad
Despite the slightly longer walk to the seafront, circa 25 mins each way, but good cardio exercise, it looks like we landed on our feet.
Using the same sales/letting family agency which I have used before, we have use of the lower half of a 4 bed villa....all mod cons, €1400 for 6 weeks inc gas, electric, water, WiFi & final clean.

We are saviours for a friend who has been ripped off further down the coast. Last year he was shown a nice apartment which he reserved for 3 months from 4/02/18. Paid in full upfront. When he arrived it wasn’t available....he was shown another apartment to use for a week, apparently free. The ‘agent’ then disappeared and the Russian owner put the screws on him....€600 for a week.

We picked him up en route to our place from the airport, and our agent very kindly opened up the rest of our villa for only €100 a week. He will never see this agent again, and has been well and truly stitched up. He still thinks the ‘agent’ will come good.... family problems back in the uk, constant lies about meetings and broken appointments.

Talk about gullible. My final advice was to post a reward on the website of the bar that this crook managed for a year...try to find his uk address, and take out a Small Claims Court action online whilst in Spain.
Latest Forum Posts