Non-motoring > Optical illusion Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 16

Optical illusion - Crankcase
In tabloid speak this is the "latest illusion that's baffling the Internet".

Anyway, the two photos are identical. The same picture, side by side, down to the pixel.

My brain isn't having any of that. One is at a different angle. How about you?

tinyurl.com/y85zerpm

Optical illusion - CGNorwich
Turn it upside down and you will indeed find the pictures are identical.
How very creative. You're right. I was covering each in turn with a sheet of Basildon Bond but your way is better.
 Optical illusion - smokie
How does that work then??
 Optical illusion - Zero
It doesn't work at all for princes z, who claims they both look identical to her. But then as the work from her art class proves she has no sense of perspective
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 7 Feb 18 at 08:57
 Optical illusion - Cliff Pope
I've just tried resting a parallel rule along the kerb in the RH picture and the LH kerb is at a different angle. It's not an illusion.
Well, according the article, somebody took both pictures and superimposed them (it's shown there), and they are the same picture.

Dunno , not tried that myself. Tricky on an iPad.

au.be.yahoo.com/lifestyle/a/38857590/can-you-figure-out-imgur-optical-illusion-mystifying-the-internet/
 Optical illusion - Cliff Pope
Perhaps it depends on your browser, or the program generating the picture you are viewing?
Don't some locate points on a picture by reference to a rectangular grid, others radially from a datum point?
It's very weird. The kerb angles are measurably different viewed in Firefox from the first link, but are parallel in the second link. Perhaps it depends on the degree of magnification - don't some picture types maintain angles when magnified, others distort, a bit like using different map projections?
But I agree there is an element of illusion which exaggerates the apparent difference.
 Optical illusion - VxFan
They both look identical to me.
 Optical illusion - BiggerBadderDave
They certainly are. Just plonked one on top of the other and adjusted the opacity.
I only have Windows utilities. So I "snipped" one of the pics and dropped it into Paint3D. Then extended the width of the canvas by 400%, leaving the pic in the centre.

Then used the Insert function to drop the same pic in. You can move it around when the cursor is in the right place.

For me, the illusion worked.

Then I dropped in a second copy, so three pics side by side. Each appeared to go in a slightly different direction, with the left-most being the nearest to running vertically up the screen.

With four pics side by side the middle two look very similar but overall the effect is the same.

Then I found something else interesting to do. :-)
 Optical illusion - car4play
>> Turn it upside down and you will indeed find the pictures are identical.

I've broken my monitor now - cheers.
 Optical illusion - TheManWithNoName
Definitely different.
One looks blue/black to me and other is clearly gold...

;-)
 Optical illusion - Fullchat
A level line shows the white pick up on the left to be further back.
 Optical illusion - Lygonos
>>A level line shows the white pick up on the left to be further back.

If it does it is due to your monitor.

The pictures are identical.

1. Save the picture to desktop

2. open with MS Paint.

3. expand the borders of the picture so its twice as big

4. outline and cut the left hand picture

5. marvel that when you pick up and move the left hand picture over to the right it now appears to have the same effect that the right side one did initially

1a. Use the snipping tool to save just one side of the picture and duplicate that file.

(Did you read my post FC? :-) )
 Optical illusion - rtj70
As BBD did, I put one on top of the other with the top one opaque and they match. They are the same image.
Latest Forum Posts