Non-motoring > Anti limescale devices Miscellaneous
Thread Author: helicopter Replies: 9

Anti limescale devices - helicopter
Anybody got experience of these ?

Son has bought a flat in central London and the water is very hard causing limescale deposits on taps , kettle etc.

Seems to be various water softening devices , the most expensive of which is the canister plumbed in water softener which regenerates and uses loads of salt

I have looked at the eletromagnetic 'Eddy' which seems to work by producing an electromagnetic field reducing the deposits on pipes.

Third option is a simple magnetic system where a couple of strong magnets are clamped to the incoming water pipe.

Any experience out there as to whether the electro/ magnetic solutions actually work or are just snake oil?
Last edited by: helicopter on Mon 12 Feb 18 at 16:40
 Anti limescale devices - Focal Point
I have experience of both.

The water softener, using salt and electricity, works.

Magnets etc. have minimal, if any, effect.
 Anti limescale devices - Zero
The large industrial electric current/magnetic combined installed for offices and alike are said to have some benefit.

The ones offered for home use are snake oil.

The only effective home solution is the plumbed in water softener, but at the end of the day over 8 million London water users cope perfectly well with no solution. Most of use limescale removers when required.
 Anti limescale devices - CGNorwich
>>
>> Most of us use limescale removers when required.
>>
You're sitting in the bath too long
 Anti limescale devices - neiltoo
Interesting thread.

We live in the Pennines in a soft water area (Geology is generally gritstone) and consequently don't suffer with limescale.

We bought a new kettle last year - a posh glass one that lights up with LEDs (yes, I know!)

There is now a brown/gold stain which seems to map the element below the bottom, which I can't clean off.
So far I've used Milton, descaler, and white vinegar to no avail.

Any other ideas?

Neil
Last edited by: neiltoo on Mon 12 Feb 18 at 19:26
 Anti limescale devices - CGNorwich
High levels of manganese or possibly iron in the water I would think. If you take a look at your water suppliers website you will fin a breakdown of the composition of your water supply.
 Anti limescale devices - Dog
My water, from a boring hole, is too soft; and that can cause corrosion in the broiler + central heating pipes - I have the blue stains on the sinks/baths to prove it.

I 'arden the water up with magnesium and calcium and have used these two companies over the years.

Have a look at their websites for info on water softeners and limescale removers:

www.wrekinwatersofteners.co.uk/wrekinwatersofteners/category_final.asp?department=PH%20Correction&category=PH%20Correction%20systems

www.eastmidlandswater.com/products.asp?CategoryID=197&Cat=Private%20Water%20Supply&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm_eJ9JCh2QIVhc0bCh2XtAEkEAAYASAAEgIk8PD_BwE
 Anti limescale devices - MD
Just drink Ale.
 Anti limescale devices - Haywain
Not sure if it's any help to your calculations and deliberations, but we have a 'Tapworks' AD11 water softener - the type that you put tablet salt in. www.tapworks.co.uk/domestic-water-softeners/

Our water is defined by Anglian Water as 24.447 degrees Clark; category - very hard, though I wouldn't have said that it was all that hard, compared with some.

For a family of 3 adults, we use 1 x 25kg bag of tablet salt per 5 months. The cost of a bag of salt was £7 when I bought the last lot in 2016.

I have no idea how much electricity the unit uses, but I can't imagine that it's very much. Over recent years, water softeners have become smaller - they used to be obtrusive beasts, but ours easily sits in a cupboard under a sink unit. It's quite possible that a smaller one would suffice for a flat.

If our water softener packed up, we would get a replacement without hesitation.
 Anti limescale devices - devonite
What you need is an "Activated Charcoal" filter, - as used by many Aquarists for water purifying purposes when keeping delicate species such as Discus fish.
Latest Forum Posts