Non-motoring > Weather Forecasts Online Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 21

Weather Forecasts Online - Ambo
Can anyone suggest a service offering a ten-day local forecast on one page please? I used this one for years -

www.weather.com/en-GB

- but, latterly, I can't get past the home page. All I get is the message at the foot of the page reading "Weather.com is not responding due to a long-running script" There is a "Stop script" box alongside it but clicking on it makes no difference. (I don't know what this script can be.)
 Weather Forecasts Online - Clk Sec
Someone on here recommended XCWeather a few years ago, and I've been using it regularly ever since.

Not quite ten days, though.
 Weather Forecasts Online - Zero
You have a browser problem, not a weather forecaster problem. Works fine for me

weather.com/en-GB/weather/tenday/l/UKXX0085:1:UK

Try another browser.
 Weather Forecasts Online - Harleyman
BBC service offers a 10 day forecast.
 Weather Forecasts Online - Ambo
Re browsers, it doesn't work with duckduckgo either.
Try using a proper browser. Works fine here with bog standard chrome and Safari
 Weather Forecasts Online - Bromptonaut
>> You have a browser problem, not a weather forecaster problem. Works fine for me
>>
>> weather.com/en-GB/weather/tenday/l/UKXX0085:1:UK
>>
>> Try another browser.

Works OK here on Chrome. Bit slow to load but that's probably a Caravan Club wi-fi issue.
 Weather Forecasts Online - No FM2R
Works fine on my Android using Chrome almost 9,000 miles from where you are.

Actually it sounds more like an ad/pop up blocker, or perhaps on of those script blockers causing you an issue.
 Weather Forecasts Online - No FM2R
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 17 Feb 18 at 17:20
 Weather Forecasts Online - smokie
You could try clearing cookies for the site, and/or clearing your browser cache.
 Weather Forecasts Online - Cliff Pope
I'm more interested in the accuracy of the forecasts than in how it looks on the page.
Why do different "forecasters" often predict different weather - don't they all use the same Met Office data? Or do they really all have their own satelites, weather beacons, lightships etc, and their own teams of experienced meteorologists?
 Weather Forecasts Online - Robin O'Reliant
>> I'm more interested in the accuracy of the forecasts than in how it looks on
>> the page.
>> Why do different "forecasters" often predict different weather - don't they all use the same
>> Met Office data? Or do they really all have their own satelites, weather beacons, lightships
>> etc, and their own teams of experienced meteorologists?
>>

They all get the same raw data, but they often have different interpretations of what weather the coming systems will lead to.

On Sky TV they just flip a coin.
 Weather Forecasts Online - rtj70
The Met Office and others might get the same data but they have their own supercomputers and applications that model the weather. It's not really an interpretations - it's a mathematical model.

With climate change, I think the models are no longer representative of the real weather systems hence poor quality forecasts.

I see the BBC has finally ditched the Met Office.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 17 Feb 18 at 20:17

>> Why do different "forecasters" often predict different weather - don't they all use the same
>> Met Office data? Or do they really all have their own satelites, weather beacons, lightships

The Satellites, beacons and lightships are shared. (tho the met office do have some of their own uk based weather stations) So all the forecasters all have the same data.

>> etc, and their own teams of experienced meteorologists?

Yes each forecaster has its own team of meteorologists.

The data is the same for all of them. Local experience counts however

All of them tho are particularly useless, given the the chances of forecasting UK weather accurately is practically zero. The location of the British Isles and all the possible variations it faces makes it a complete weather lottery.

Weather Forecasts Online - R.P.
We have a micro climate within a micro climate. Predicted weather is a lottery...
 Weather Forecasts Online - rtj70
If you're going to model the weather to give forecasts mainly for the UK you have to model the global weather. So it's irrelevant if we're in a micro climate because the simulation is global.

When they had less powerful supercomputers, they'd run a less accurate (less data points) model and then redo the local weather more accurately. The computing power even the Met Office has now compared to say ten years ago is huge.

The problem is.... the models are probably no longer as accurate as they were.
>> If you're going to model the weather to give forecasts mainly for the UK you
>> have to model the global weather.

Cobblers.
 Weather Forecasts Online - MD
XC Weather. Usually pretty accurate.
 Weather Forecasts Online - sooty123
I use accuweather, seem pretty good.
 Weather Forecasts Online - CGNorwich
The BBC is as good as any - certainly up to 3 days ahead it is pretty accurate and the App is clearer than most.
 Weather Forecasts Online - Manatee
Short term forecasts are usually pretty good, but the UK weather is so changeable and subject to so many factors, usually being surrounded by different weather systems, that beyond 3/4 days forecasting becomes rapidly less reliable.

Climendo covers 10 days, and indicates a level of certainty around the forecasts based I think on how well different sources agree.

climendo.com/en/weather/united-kingdom/lincoln-2644487

I like xcweather for its clarity and wind maps.
 Weather Forecasts Online - Clk Sec
>> I like xcweather for its clarity and wind maps.

Same here.
Latest Forum Posts