Bill Maynard - RIP - VxFan
Heartbeat actor Bill Maynard dies at 89

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43596854

I can remember him in loads of things.

Obituary:-
www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20716037
 Bill Maynard - RIP - No FM2R
Oh, he used to make me smile.

I worry about all these long term "characters" disappearing from the world without up and coming replacements.
 Bill Maynard - RIP - rtj70
I remember him as Welwyn Froggitt from when I was a child. Obviously know he was in Heartbeat. Never knew he was a footballer or tried out for Eurovision.
 Bill Maynard - RIP - Pat
Selwyn Froggitt I think, but I'm older than you so probably saw more of him:)

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Fri 30 Mar 18 at 18:14
It was.... not concentrating when typing. The Mac autocorrected Selwyn to Welwyn for me and I should have re-read it.

Sometimes auto correct is a pain.

I also never knew he chose Maynard for a surname because of the wine gums of the same name.
 Bill Maynard - RIP - tyrednemotional
>>
>> Sometimes auto correct is a pain.
>>
....and sometimes it's a panini.........
I believe he was from Selwyn Garden City.
:-)

Or perhaps Heath End in Surrey.
 Bill Maynard - RIP - Robin O'Reliant
For those too young,

www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0ZX57cUl80

Very good comedy.
 Bill Maynard - RIP - VxFan
Rob, that link you posted reminded me of a show I couldn't remember he'd been in.

The Gaffer.
 Bill Maynard - RIP - Manatee
>> For those too young,
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0ZX57cUl80

Good grief I've just watched that - I don't think I saw it when it was on, probably the period when we didn't have a TV.

No wonder they don't show repeats - a sit-com that seems to be based around a man with learning difficulties whose friends laugh at him behind his back. A brilliant example of how norms change, for the better in this case.
Really?

Can nothing be taken at a simplistic level? Must everything be analysed and extrapolated to the extreme?

How did you get on with Fairy Tales? Hunchback of Notre Dam for example. How about The Ugly Duckling, or Cinderella?
 Bill Maynard - RIP - Zero
I thought the LGBT issues in Cinderella were handled very badly, reinforcing stereotypes
Particularly given the emphasis placed upon a child with a deprived upbringing. It kind of skated over the physical torture, mental abuse and slavery aspects also.

I thought it also depicted animals as lowly requiring the auspices of a fairy to raise them to so called worthier levels of existence by presenting them in typical, patriarchal and class-based society determined appropriate clothing.
 Bill Maynard - RIP - Robin O'Reliant
And as for the sexism and racism in Shakespeare's plays...
 Bill Maynard - RIP - Timeonmyhands
And the cruelty to pumpkins.
 Bill Maynard - RIP - Manatee
>> Really?
>>
>> Can nothing be taken at a simplistic level? Must everything be analysed and extrapolated to
>> the extreme?
>>
>> How did you get on with Fairy Tales? Hunchback of Notre Dame for example. How
>> about The Ugly Duckling, or Cinderella?

I spent no time analysing it, it struck me immediately. But analysing your reply, I don't think your examples are relevant.

We weren't supposed to find the plights of Quasimodo, the ugly duckling or Cinderella funny, and of course all those stories actually showed how cruelly they were treated, but right ultimately prevailed -

Quasimodo who started off being shunned ended up being accepted into society,

The ugly duckling turned out to be a swan,

Cinderella married the prince.
When I started to comment on Bill Maynard and wine gums to my wife, she started to comment along the lines of 'not named after the sweet surely'. That's paraphrasing but I'd have thought it a joke if someone had told me that.

I watched a bit of the clip of him as Selwyn Froggitt and I remembered I found it uncomfortable to watch. I was very young when when it started and ended.
>>Quasimodo who started off being shunned ended up being accepted into society,

Depending on the version he either died in disgrace, murdered his rival, or ran away with the young lady.

>>The ugly duckling turned out to be a swan,

Third party subjective evaluation of beauty should make us feel good or bad about ourselves?

>>Cinderella married the prince.

So a woman's acceptability can be determined by her marital status?

But I'm sure you saw my point really.
Latest Forum Posts