Non-motoring > TSB online banking outages Computing Issues
Thread Author: Fenlander Replies: 12

TSB online banking outages - Fenlander
Anyone else affected by this debacle?

"Routine maintenance" was due from 4pm Fri to 6pm Sun. Seemingly to migrate to TSB's own platform so they could be free from leasing the Lloyds systems which they'd been doing since the split.

Now some 16hrs after the supposed re-boot folks are finding a raft of issues like... TSB website goes to server error, there is no access to online banking start page, known good logins don't work, if you can get in incorrect balances are shown or unexpected large deposits have arrived, other people's accounts appear on your page, cards are being declined and so on.

Effn disaster.
 TSB online banking outages - Zero
It was ever going to be thus, its no easy process to split and migrate from a system some 50 years in the development* to a completely new base and infrastructure.

*it used to be development, but since the internet arrived its hammering rickety old timber sheds onto the side of a concrete bunker. Ask RBOS, who decided it would be a good idea to transfer maintenance of the bunker to shed builders.
 TSB online banking outages - Falkirk Bairn
TSB issues could last weeks or more.

This was not an upgrade to new operating software level.
This was not an upgrade to new application software level.
This was not an upgrade to new hardware.

This was new hardware, new operating system, new application software (Spanish parent's software) - all new to the techies @TSB - previously it was LLoyds Bank that supplied the systems and LLoyds staff that supported the old systems.

A few years back when somebody played around with the RBS scheduler settings Ulster Bank was down for 4-6 weeks so it could be a long wait for TSB account Holders. I hope they have alternative accounts & credit cards from other banks to tide them over.
 TSB online banking outages - rtj70
One reason RBS finally called off the creation of the spin-off bank Williams and Glyn (they spent billions) was trying to setup the IT. The RBS core systems run on old mainframes with more modern stuff bolted onto it to enable online banking, etc. The plan was to sell the spun-off bank (Santander the likely buyer at the time).

Glad I'm not a TSB customer.
Hmm I had a nasty feeling this could run on for a while. I have no problem with funds even if this lasts weeks... but it is the account for all my debits such as council tax, car tax/ins, TV licence etc so it will be interesting to know if they will be paid.

Oh well it will be what it will be.
 TSB online banking outages - Falkirk Bairn
Looks like this story could run for a while.
3/4 years ago they planned the move @ takeover time - TSB would move from LLoyds mainframes to the Spanish parent written system - looks like a lot got lost in translation.

Lloyds were to get £450m to fix their end, TSB costs ???? - but a lot.
The IT head said it would save £150m/year on the £200m they spend with Lloyds for hosting their bank.

I would suggest several hundred million ££s in irate customer walkouts will be the result - retail & small business - end of the month transactions are but a few days away.

$h1t & fan time looming.

What's the odds on them reverting to Lloyds?

5/6 years back RBS had to call back dozens of sacked mainframe employees to dig them out of the problems of an Indian Contractor tampering with the scheduler & sitting on it for 6/8 hours. Ulster Bank were closed for up to 6 weeks.
Thank God I don't rely on them for major stuff (other than automated debits as mentioned above)... it's looking a bit dire now.

After an hour of trying to log on last night and being alternately and incorrectly told my username, password or secret character sequence were wrong I got to see my account. Thankfully all the balances were correct and a transfer in I was expecting yesterday had arrived. But it refused to allow me to initiate any transfers out, between accounts or payments (such as paying my TSB credit card). Now today internet banking is down completely and people are reporting debit and credit cards being declined at random.

TSB say they are throttling the service during repair efforts by only allowing a certain amount of customers to access internet banking at a time.

Just off to the cashpoint to try and draw the max allowed so at least I don't end up with embarrassment at the shops.
Ahh finally a message from our leader on the front webpage...

We’ve been working as hard and fast as we can to get our services back up and running.

This isn’t the level of service that we pride ourselves on providing, and isn’t what our customers have come to expect from TSB, and for that I’m truly sorry.

We’re still seeing issues with access to our digital services. One of the steps we need to take to resolve this is to take our mobile app and online banking down for a few hours.

We’ll be taking this offline and we hope to be back up later this afternoon. We’ll let you know as soon as it’s available again.

Of course, customers can rest assured that no one will be left out of pocket as a result of these service issues.

Paul Pester CEO
 TSB online banking outages - Zero
Pah, Paul is only the tea boy, Chairman of the parent company says its been a roaring success

press.bancsabadell.com/en/News/2018/04/banco-sabadell-successfully-completes-tsb-technology-migration

based on that glowing reference, I'd move account asap if I were you

I may well. I'm only with TSB as Lloyds TSB when merged spat me over to TSB when they split... despite me having been with Lloyds since 18.
 TSB online banking outages - R.P.
I was slightly disappointed that Lloyds didn't move me across to TSB (not now)
 TSB Port Out Alert - henry k
www.actionfraudalert.co.uk/da/221616/TSB%20Port%20Out%20Alert.html

There are always ways to exploit such events as the TSB screw up .
 TSB Port Out Alert - Rudedog
When I heard about this it always seemed a lot of work for the fraudster to go to for an unknown reward... how many would they need to do before they got a decent hit of a big account?..... for those of us who live on a overdraft they wouldn't get much!!
Latest Forum Posts