Non-motoring > Bank account paranoia Miscellaneous
Thread Author: hawkeye Replies: 16

Bank account paranoia - hawkeye
The guests in our holiday home seem to leave things behind every visit. I have asked them to PayPal me money for p&p, but I need to cater for folk who only have online banking. Am I OK giving out, typically by text, my account number and sort code to an account originally designated as a savings account, so no overdraft facility? The account will only have up to say £20 in it before it gets transferred out.

I accept that texted details aren't secure but what could anyone do with an account with little in it if they had account number and sort code?

Comments or alternative suggestions welcome.
 Bank account paranoia - Bromptonaut
I've run a few weekend reunions for the YHA group through which I met Mrs B and many others met their partners too. Involved collecting several hundred pounds in tens of pounds per head attending spread over a few weeks.

Used same route and rationale as you, an old savings account with otherwise a nil balance. Low probability of any attempt at fraud and if there was relatively low impact - transferred balance to personal account on regular basis.
 Bank account paranoia - No FM2R
You're giving them less information than when you would using a cheque.

Difficult to see what issue could occur, or how it could be serious in the extremely unlikely event something happened.
 Bank account paranoia - DP
>> You're giving them less information than when you would using a cheque.

Absolutely. A few years ago, people would routinely hand over bits of paper with their account number, sort code, account name and signature several times a day in some cases, thinking nothing of it.
 Bank account paranoia - commerdriver
>> Absolutely. A few years ago, people would routinely hand over bits of paper with their
>> account number, sort code, account name and signature several times a day in some cases,
>> thinking nothing of it.
>>
A few years ago most people had never heard of online fraud.
Although you are still pretty safe giving out that level of info reasonably
>> A few years ago most people had never heard of online fraud.
>> Although you are still pretty safe giving out that level of info reasonably

The most common method of fraud is still unscrupulous shop and restaurant staff skimming your credit or debit card when you pay for goods and services in a normal face to face transaction. It is almost impossible to prevent, and you don't know it's happened until it's too late.

It's happened to me a few times now, the first pre-dating internet banking by some years, and involving someone having a wonderful weekend in Bern, Switzerland to the tune of £5k on my credit card. My wife also had her bank account emptied entirely in the space of a few hours a week before Christmas 1997. It turned out to be a crook working behind the till in the local petrol station who had a machine just under the desk which read the magstripe. Chip and pin cards aren't much safer.
Last edited by: DP on Thu 24 May 18 at 15:24
 Bank account paranoia - CGNorwich
Chip and pin cards are much much safer. Skimming such a card is virtually impossible
>> Skimming such a card is virtually impossible

Nowhere near, unfortunately. The chip can't be cloned (yet), but the magstripe data can be pulled off the chip and a mag version created from it without the card even leaving your possession.

www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/new-card-skimming-is-called-shimming.php
Last edited by: DP on Thu 24 May 18 at 15:44
 Bank account paranoia - CGNorwich
Read the article. Only the magnetic strip info can be captured and then only some. Chip date cannot be copied and C andP transactions are safe.
 Bank account paranoia - Zero
>> Read the article. Only the magnetic strip info can be captured and then only some.
>> Chip date cannot be copied and C andP transactions are safe.

True, but all banks and all retail outlets still accept transactions from the swipe only.
>> Read the article. Only the magnetic strip info can be captured and then only some.
>> Chip date cannot be copied and C andP transactions are safe.
>>
I believe I said that in my comments. And the magstripe data is enough to use a card for certain purposes, such as online. Also, whhat happens when you make a purchase and your card chip can't be read? It defaults to the old magstripe read and signature method.
Last edited by: DP on Thu 24 May 18 at 16:29
 Bank account paranoia - Bromptonaut
>> I believe I said that in my comments. And the magstripe data is enough to
>> use a card for certain purposes, such as online.

Article seems to be American. Visiting Texas last year we found C&P to be rare and most shops, restaurants etc used swipe and sign with at best cursory check of signature.
 Bank account paranoia - VxFan
>> Comments or alternative suggestions welcome.

As you're communicating to them by txt anyway, how about getting them to send you the money via Pingit?

www.pingit.com/
 Bank account paranoia - hawkeye
Thanks all for the input.

Never heard of Pingit but I'm registered now. Standing by to get mailshots from Barclays (or whoever buys them).
Last edited by: hawkeye on Wed 23 May 18 at 17:22
 Bank account paranoia - Cliff Pope
I'd just say, If you want your stuff, come and get it or send me a cheque. I don't see any need to go to much trouble for people who leave things.
 Bank account paranoia - rtj70
>> or send me a cheque

But then you have to pay a cheque in. A bit of a faff these days for most. I rarely go into a bank. When I pay cheques in I usually use the service via the post office. Roll on when I can pay cheques other than Barclays in using an app that takes a photo of the cheque.

I only get cheques a few times a year (birthday, anniversary, etc).
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 24 May 18 at 20:52
 Bank account paranoia - Bobby
How do they pay for the holiday home rental?
Latest Forum Posts