Non-motoring > Found the new widget ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: car4play Replies: 47

Found the new widget ? - car4play
.. to help you see what the message is replying to in flat view?
 Found the new widget ? - L'escargot
I've seen them, but they all look the same to me so I can't work out to which the post a particular message is replying.
 Found the new widget ? - FotheringtonTomas
>> .. to help you see what the message is replying to in flat view?

I don't think so.
>> >> .. to help you see what the message is replying to in flat view?
>>
>> I don't think so.

Fully quoted to aid in seeing what I'm supposed to see.
>> >> >> .. to help you see what the message is replying to in flat view?
>> >>
>> >> I don't think so.
>>
>> Fully quoted to aid in seeing what I'm supposed to see.

Time to "view flat".
>> .. to help you see what the message is replying to in flat view?

Perhaps all will become clear after a reply or two.
 Found the new widget ? - LEDFoot
think you have to hover your mouse over the up arrow.
>> think you have to hover your mouse over the up arrow.

Yes. I can now see what it does, but I don't see how it's useful.
>> >> think you have to hover your mouse over the up arrow.
>>
>> Yes. I can now see what it does but I don't see how it's useful.

The threaded view is by far superior in determining context.

I wonder whether the "Reply" window could automatically link to the replied-to message?
Perhaps a "Reply" window re-design, so that what people are replying to is somehow quoted in a read-only field (unsure of terminology - but what I'm triping into now), so that people can detect contextual botches and fix them? Hm, users might still post a reply to the wrong post regardless.
>> I wonder whether the "Reply" window could automatically link to the replied-to message?

That's what it does, doesn't it? Maybe I am missing something.
It does, sorry, I was getting carried away.

Are you trying to (help) prevent people posting a reply to a different article to that which their reply is really directed to, or simply to help people reading posts in "flat" mode? If the latter, it works... however, "flat mode", ack ptui! Some old Newsgroup reading S/W was quite good for threaded stuff, ISTR.
The latter - so glad it works!
The thing is that we won't be able to please everyone. Some like it flat, some like it threaded.

The only problem in flat is knowing which post replies to which. Indenting is ok, but also has its issues. For long posts the indents get lost anyway and you can end up of the right hand side of the page with little space left for the post itself. What we are trying to do is give a bit of assistance in this flat view to make sense of a post that perhaps hasn't quoted the original. We have some posts here, where for example, someone says a one line "yes" or "quite", and now you will be able to see what they were saying "yes" or "quite" to when they originally replied.

We also had our shiny new widget anyway and thought "what else could we stick this on that takes only a minute or two".

The real widget we want to use will have to wait till next week...
 Found the new widget ? - Focusless
>> The threaded view is by far superior in determining context.

But unfortunately it only displays the content of one post - I thought the change on the old site to fix that was a step forward, although others found it confusing.
Not convinced about the modified colour scheme BTW - new posts don't stand out enough IMO.
 Found the new widget ? - Dog
>>> new posts don't stand out enough IMO. <<<

Estoy de acuerdo con él. (I agree)
 Found the new widget ? - Pat
It looks like baby poo......come back blue all is forgiven:(

Pat
Now I've consulted a dictionary for the spelling I'll be more precise.
It looks like diarrhea

Pat
>> Now I've consulted a dictionary for the spelling

What dictionary??

>> It looks like diarrhea

"Diarrhoea".
>>Diarrhea (from the Greek, διὰρροια meaning "a flowing through"[2]), also spelled diarrhoea, is the condition of having three or more loose or liquid bowel movements per day<<

Truce:)

Pat
That's from the USAian "Wikipedia" (itself a mis-spleeing). Here, the form "diarhoea" is correct.
FT, you are very presumptuous, I could well be from American descent, could'nt I.

And presumambly you didn't have a problem understanding what I meant, nor did anyone else since the colour changed rapidly, so what's the problem?

Or I could call it s***, which of course originates from 'Store High In Transit'

Pat
>> FT you are very presumptuous

Yes, yes...

>> I could well be from American descent could'nt I.

You could be - however, you're about 8 times more likely to be of Chinese or Indian descent (this based purely on population figures, ignoring the fact that people from the USA are descended from multiple countries).

>> And presumambly you didn't have a problem understanding what I meant nor did
>> anyone else since the colour changed rapidly so what's the problem?

What do you mean by "the colour changed rapidly"?
>> What do you mean by "the colour changed rapidly"?

The developers changed the diarear colour to the blue one quite soon after we moaned.
Well, one minute it was a delicate shade of khaki and the next it was a beautiful pea green:)

Pat
Oh, God, how vile! I didn't see it. No remarks about "pea-green soup".
 Found the new widget ? - bathtub tom
I prefer 'dire rear'.

A far better description. ;>)
I prefer the blue we had to begin with actually:)

Pat
>> I prefer the blue we had to begin with actually:)

Is the blue in the new scheme the same as used on the old site? When it changed from khaki(/olive/poo) I thought it had just gone back to the pre-khaki one. At least one of either my eyes, mind or display must be going :(
Last edited by: Focus on Thu 4 Mar 10 at 17:48
Sorry - the colours we had for new posts was not set up for this site as you might have guessed. One of our designers here complained that it didn't go with the red colour scheme. So what you now have is one of the complimentary colours that goes with the red. All very scientific really. Pick colour, get complimentary colour, set brightness and saturation. Not much guesswork needed.

The colour seems pretty bright to us here, but then it may differ a lot on different monitors. We notice that our MacBook screen hasn't got nearly as much contrast as the desktop LCDs here for example.
Just had a thought. Are you seeing an old style sheet? Thought we had forced a refreshm but it may be that you haven't got it.
>> Just had a thought. Are you seeing an old style sheet?

Think so - just did a refresh and it looks the same.
>> One of our designers here complained that it didn't
>> go with the red colour scheme.

If you want something to stand out, isn't that a good thing?

Ok, perhaps screens are different, but on my laptop's (recently replaced) LCD the 2 colours used look like 2 shades of grey (pinky-grey and greeny-grey).
>> >> One of our designers here complained that it didn't
>> >> go with the red colour scheme.
>>
>> If you want something to stand out isn't that a good thing?

Yes - the compliment you now have IS the opposite. Before it wasn't actually one of the matching colours. That's what they were on about. I suppose they meant that it should stand out for the right reasons, not the wrong ones if you know what I mean.

We'll take a look on a PC. On the Mac here it is pretty bright. It may be that good old Windows has turned it into baby poo - at least if I take Pat's word for it!

We could use the blue ey complement instead of the green one if that might look better.
Last edited by: car4play on Thu 4 Mar 10 at 14:46
BTW (excuse the slight drift) I've been clicking on the adverts like a good boy, and noticed that some of them open in the existing window ie. replacing car4play, while others open a new one. Personally I prefer the latter - is it possible for them all to do this, or is it up to google and/or the advertisers?
Good point. We'll take a look.
Ok - this is now the blue/green (believe it or not) compliment of the red.

Does that stand out better? I personally prefer the other olive colour, but then apparently that is either poo or diarrhoea. Clearly someone doesn't like olives.
>> Does that stand out better?

Certainly works better on my display - thanks.
That's a great improvement:)

Pat
 Found the new widget ? - Zero
I think you need a change manager and a change management process.

Make all the moaning minnies complaining about hues and tints fill out a 3 page change request form, with a business justification for the change.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 4 Mar 10 at 17:52
Well the new widget has had a funny turn during the hours of darkness.

All the NEW signs have gone and I've had to try and remember what time I logged off last night and then scroll down and guess which post I'd already read.
Can someone feed that widget please to stop him eating the forum:)

Pat
>> Ok - this is now the blue/green (believe it or not) compliment of the red.
>>
>> Does that stand out better?

It stands out OK from the pink of the old posts, but it makes the black text harder to see. I preferred the original lighter shade of blue. Sorry!
>> Ok - this is now the blue/green .............

Bilious blue/green I call it!
;-)
 Found the new widget ? - Fenlander
It's now a shade of blue, after a lifetime of thinking you knew what blue was, that makes it look like there's a bad error with the hue on your monitor.
It seems to be turquoise now? Come back blue all is forgiven:)

Pat
Not sure I like the new colour either. The nice thing is that nothing is in stone. As the designers complained I'll get them to pick the new colours.
One problem is that the red we have here is not an easy colour to work with. As you have seen you can end up with some horrible tints even in the red end of the spectrum, let alone any compliment.
Can we live with it for a while? The site will need a makeover at some stage.
 Found the new widget ? - Iffy
...Can we live with it for a while?...

I'd have thought so.

There's a good contrast between old and new posts and the stripey thread list is easy enough to read.

With this new relaxed atmosphere, of course we can:)

Pat
Latest Forum Posts