Ha
Ha
Ha
Ha
Ha
Ha
Ha
 Scotland v England cricket - Zero
You getting ready for the World Cup? got all your beer in, all the food and nibbles for you and your mates to watch Scotlands progress?

OH! wait a minute.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_–_UEFA_Group_F
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 11 Jun 18 at 08:46
 Scotland v England cricket - commerdriver
Come on Z, world cup, irrelevant, Scotland will never win it and will do well to qualify for future ones. Real expectation north of the border - less than nothing.
What does get a bit annoying at times are all the hints from south of the border that England are the world's best at sports. They are not. They are, in general, better than Scotland at most things but with 10 times the population to choose from and much more money to spend so they should be.

On the few occasions we get a chance to bring them down to size there is a kind of perverse pleasure in it. The ones being unrealistic in most cases, are English fans who think they are, in any way, the best in the world at anything, certainly at any team sports.

So to echo Bobby, ha ha.
 Scotland v England cricket - sooty123
What does get a bit annoying at times are all the hints from south of
>> the border that England are the world's best at sports. They are not.

I think the only place that thought exists is north of the border (especially in football, apart from a handful of those delusional individuals everyone is pretty realistic. Support England yes, but think they are the best in the world? Hardly representative.

Well apart from ODI in cricket where, believe it or not, we are number one in world rankings! :-)

>> So to echo Bobby, ha ha.

Do you hate the English so much because you are dependent on them for your perverse pleasures?
>> Do you hate the English so much because you are dependent on them for your
>> perverse pleasures?
>>
Don't hate the English at all, as I assumed you knew, I have lived down here my entire working life since 1977, the last 35 years in Marlow.
I am not a huge sports fan but think football fans, rugby fans & cricket fans in this country are in general kidding themselves to believe we are currently approaching the world's best at anything. Even ODI cricket, the record outside the UK is not great.
& cricket fans in this country are in general kidding themselves to believe we are currently approaching the world's best at anything. Even ODI cricket, the record outside the UK is not great.

Damning with faint praise ;-)

www.icc-cricket.com/rankings/mens/team-rankings/odi
Come on, you wouldn't expect a Jock who has been exiled by his country of birth to know anything about cricket.
I know sod all about cricket, just going on general impression on what I had seen in news in passing.

According to ECB website, last year apart from loads of matches in England, England had 2 main sets of ODI matches abroad, where the record against West Indies was good, the record against India wasn't quite so positive. ie looks about what I said.

Better than most away from home, very few teams will have a good away record over a 5 year period. Good enough to compete with the best.
>> Better than most away from home, very few teams will have a good away record
>> over a 5 year period. Good enough to compete with the best.
>>
Maybe true but to really be the best they should be able to win away from home, only shows no country has really got an outstanding cricket team in recent years.
Cricket's a silly game anyway :-)
> Maybe true but to really be the best they should be able to win away
>> from home, only shows no country has really got an outstanding cricket team in recent> years.

Very much so, a pack rather than any team out and out for the last few years. England just happen to be at the head of that pack at the moment.

>> Cricket's a silly game anyway :-)
>>

Only sometimes. ;-)
 Scotland v England cricket - Harleyman
I take the view that whatever the result it was a damn good game of cricket; it will do the power of good for the grassroots game in Scotland, just at the time when Ireland seemed to have eclipsed them.

However, to put it into perspective; India has a far greater pool of potential talent to draw on, pretty much owns world cricket (particularly the one day game) and yet their record against England isn't particularly impressive either home or away.

Upsets like this aren't particularly uncommon in cricket, England have lost to the Netherlands before now, and not that long ago; the 2014 world T20 in fact, and cricket history is well provided with such giant-killings. That should take nothing away from an excellent Scottish team performance, well done to them.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Tue 12 Jun 18 at 01:28
 Scotland v England cricket - Roger.

Oh, God - we are in for the airwaves and papers being full of blooming soccer are we not?
YAWN!

Last edited by: Roger. on Tue 12 Jun 18 at 21:18
 Scotland v England cricket - Stuartli
>> Oh, God - we are in for the airwaves and papers being full of blooming soccer are we not?

YAWN!>>

Remember the old adage that one man's meat is another man's poison (or gravy if you prefer).
Last edited by: Stuartli on Wed 13 Jun 18 at 00:53
>> Remember the old adage that one man's meat is another man's poison (or gravy if
>> you prefer).
>>
Absolutely, not as if there are no other channels to watch if you need to be glued to a telly.
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/44539728

Good job the ozzies didn't play Scotland, they might have lost by even more. ;-)
Latest Forum Posts