Non-motoring > Pre owned phones Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 16

Pre owned phones - legacylad
Apologies if this post should be in ‘Computer Related’
I’ve had my iPhone 5S several years, but eyesight, even with prescription readers, ain’t what it was so I’m thinking about an Iphone 6S Plus with the 5.5” display. I’ll be away backpacking for a number of weeks this summer on a few trips, so I’ll be using the phone more than normal.
I’m sure they aren’t good value for money, but my current 5S works well with my IPad Air so don’t want to go Android, and I’m used to the operating system now. But £649 from the Apple store with 128GB!
There must be lots of dodgy sites out there selling reconditioned phones, but does anyone have experience of decent sellers for such a phone. And a lot cheaper than the Apple store.
Thanks
 Pre owned phones - Duncan
www.smartfonestore.com/

I haven't used them myself. I have heard of a number of people who have used them and found them ok.
Many thanks
I see they have a ‘grade A’ in Rose Gold..
 Pre owned phones - MD
Look at Giffgaff and see what they are offering.
 Pre owned phones - Runfer D'Hills
Funnily enough, I've had a set of similar circumstances this week. I've been using a 5s for years and saw no reason to change. But earlier in the week I was with a friend and I couldn't get a signal where we were, but he could on his "Ten". Turned out he was on WiFi calling which my 5s wouldn't do.

Anyway, he said he had an old 6s at home in a drawer that I could have and later in the week he very kindly gave it to me. Of course I had to give it to my teenage son to set up, but I'm now using it and you're right, It's much easier to read and it can be set to WiFi calling.

Battery life is much worse though. I've tried turning everything I don't need off, but it still runs down much quicker than my old phone.
 Pre owned phones - No FM2R
If the battery seems that bad, get it replaced. They seem sometimes to wear out very quickly.

If it was a car battery you'd replace it.
>>
>> Battery life is much worse though. I've tried turning everything I don't need off, but
>> it still runs down much quicker than my old phone.
>>

Apple are doing battery replacement - runs out end of year(?) for £25, I tink.

Do a battery health check first, obvs.

support.apple.com/en-gb/iphone/repair/battery-power
 Pre owned phones - Runfer D'Hills
Thanks Duncan, I'll check that out.
 Pre owned phones - Rudedog
Just be aware, many people taking their phones in for the reduced cost battery change are being stung by Apple who seem to find small things wrong with it which have to be fixed before they will do the replacement i.e. broken speaker, or non perfect screen.

Issue has been raised on Money Box.
 Pre owned phones - VxFan
>> Issue has been raised on Money Box.

And Watchdog.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43960267
 Pre owned phones - MD
It only takes one bad apple!
I think I read somewhere that the 6S Plus has double the battery life of the 6S. Buying the former would be a huge leap in size from my 5S, but given the ageing eyes it’s a leap I might make.
I’ve now bought an Anker PowerCore2 portable charger to carry with me on my backpacking travels, so hopefully by using low power mode, and having a signal, I’ll always have a working phone.....years ago it wasn’t an issue and being out of contact for weeks never bothered me, but my old mums getting frail and I’d hate to be camped out with a flat battery should an emergency arise.
 Pre owned phones - CGNorwich
If staying in touch whilst in the wilds was paramount for me I’d buy a non smart phone as a backup. You can get a Nokia with a standby battery life of 24 DAYS for less than £30
Good advice CGN. I’ll dig out my old Nokia, charge it up and put some credit on it. It all adds weight to my pack, but with modern kit ( my Tarptent Squall 2 weighs .99Kg and sleeping bag similar) pack loads are much reduced these days.
Thanks
Last edited by: legacylad on Sun 17 Jun 18 at 10:32
 Pre owned phones - Zero
If I was in the wilds needing emergency Comms, I'd get a sat phone
 Pre owned phones - CGNorwich
Certainly the ideal solution but at over £500 for a phone and charges around £1.50 a minute on a 30 day limited SIM cost would no doubt enter the reckoning. Also quite heavy bits of kit.
>>my Tarptent Squall 2
>>

How much!!!!!
Latest Forum Posts