Non-motoring > One of those days. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 9

One of those days. - R.P.
Been busy for weeks - working two days and work going on in the house replacing the bathroom..(which, predictably, went wrong - 4 day job turned into a month long odyssey). Mrs RP has gone off to Preston in a works truck at the crack of dawn this morning, I managed to linger in bed until 8.00am, got up to feed the dogs and have some breakfast. Took them for a run down to a riverside park and returned for a cup of tea and a piece of home made cake. House is silent, the neighbourhood is silent, just perfect for an unaccustomed feet up with book hour. I need to go into town shortly, later tonight we're going to a tiny cinema in Ruthin to watch 'The Post' enjoying a themed meal as we do so...all's well at the moment. Hope it lasts...!
....apart from the jets...lots of jets today.
 One of those days. - helicopter
Well here in Crete one of those days comprises a long lie in followed by a leisurely breakfast on the balcony.

We have just returned from a trip up to the mountains to Omalos from sea level to 1850 M near the Samaria gorge. We managed to avoid the rain whilst having a lunch of Greek salad and fresh orange juice.although the temperature dropped by 10 degrees from 27 at sea level to 17 up the top.

Spectacular views of up to 50 kilometers as always.We also have Greek air force jets from Chania showing off around the island.

Now jback and just having a cup of tea before a swim and a couple of cold beers before dinner and a couple of Ouzos afterwards.

The Post is an excellent film , you will enjoy

One of those days. - Runfer D'Hills
I remember being on a beach in Cyprus in late July 1990 with a group of friends. One of them was a serving army officer at the time. We lay there and we were remarking on the increased number of military aircraft passing overhead that day.

Our friend pondered this for a while until he announced that he probably ought to go and make a phone call...

The first Gulf conflict started a week later.
 One of those days. - rtj70
In Summer 1990 I went to Frankfurt. As we came in to land there were loads of military C5 transport planes at the airport. So probably around the same time as you were on the beach in Cyprus.
 One of those days. - Robin O'Reliant
The day after 9/11 I was in Fishguard as the local secondary school turned out for the day. A couple of military jets passed overhead at not too great a height and some of the female pupils started screaming in terror.
 One of those days. - Cliff Pope
>>
>>
>> Our friend pondered this for a while until he announced that he probably ought to
>> go and make a phone call...
>>
>> The first Gulf conflict started a week later.
>>

A serving naval officer was playing bowls with some friends when word came that some sails had been sighted in the Channel. He pondered for a while and then announced that he ought to go and check some warning beacons.
But there was plenty of time to finish the game before he had to go off and beat the Spaniards.
 One of those days. - No FM2R
One day we were sat in a Brazilian coffee bar ribbing an American friend about the US in general and blind pilots in particular having just heard a radio news report about a light aircraft clipping a tall building in New York.

Turned out there were a couple of inaccuracies in the Brazilian news report and we stopped joking about it.

Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 20 Jun 18 at 16:31
 One of those days. - Zero
I was on a three day residential seminar at a large university, the keynote speaker had the stage in the main auditorium. His slot stopped and we watched the second jet hit the tower, live, on a very large cinema screen.
I was in work - in the office. Pre-internet on phones - someone mentioned something and we dug out the office TV/VHS combo used for training etc. Got a snowy picture...then went on the 'net. I had a meeting away from the office later that afternoon and it was wall to wall on R4. Significantly the news made way for the Archers at 7.02pm..
Latest Forum Posts