Non-motoring > Jerry Can! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 26

Jerry Can! - MD
Not today he couldn’t. :-)
 Jerry Can! - tyrednemotional
.....Never was the word Schadenfreude more appropriate.....
 Jerry Can! - tyrednemotional
...and, as I'm told the headline in The Telegraph has it, "Don't mention the VAR"...

;-)
 Jerry Can! - Robin O'Reliant
Germany cries, the world laughs.
 Jerry Can! - Zero
>> .....Never was the word Schadenfreude more appropriate.....

Isnt that the name of the goal keeper?
 Jerry Can! - CGNorwich
Yes he plays mid-field too.
He should have stuck to the day job.
 Jerry Can! - Zero
The quickest German exit from Russian soil since 1945. You can take all those towels off all those deckchairs now.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 28 Jun 18 at 15:43
 Jerry Can! - No FM2R
This is all a bit tacky, isn't it? Not even amusing.

I'm not sure mocking a loser is ever cool.

I remember being annoyed, and a bit shocked, at the comments from some Scottish supporters one time when England lost. This doesn't seem any different.
The Germans are big enough to take care of themselves, so are the English when the Scots do it.

It's part of being a football fan, you take almost as much pleasure out of your main enemy's misery as you do from your own success. Look at Spurs/a***nal, Liverpool/Everton, the two Manchester clubs, etc etc.
 Jerry Can! - Zero
>> This is all a bit tacky, isn't it?

Yes

>> Not even amusing.

Hilarious
>>
>> I'm not sure mocking a loser is ever cool.

it always is, and its even cooler when its your no 1 opponent who has inflicted years of misery on you.

>> I remember being annoyed, and a bit shocked, at the comments from some Scottish supporters
>> one time when England lost. This doesn't seem any different.

It isn't, but neither the Jocks or the English are offended or annoyed about it, its part of football psyche (the Jocks secretly love Germany because they keep tonking the England team)

Football is a rich seam of ribaldry sarcasm and humour.
And it isn't just us, the rest of Europe at least are reveling in the German's exit. They are a respected nation, but not a loved one.
 Jerry Can! - No FM2R
Well each to their own. I can't saying that mocking someone else's failure has ever been my thing.

Perhaps that's what stops me being a "real" football fan.
 Jerry Can! - Runfer D'Hills
Oh it's football you're all talking about! Got it now.

Jolly good. Is Nobby Stiles still playing?
;-)
 Jerry Can! - nice but dim
>>
>>
>> Jolly good. Is Nobby Stiles still playing?
>> ;-)
>>

More like styled nobs
 Jerry Can! - MD
Gordon Banks.

Not around here he doesn’t. They’re all ruddy closed.
 Jerry Can! - smokie
Seems England couldn't either.

Though apparently it doesn't "matter" that much, except maybe we will have a harder or easier knock out match, depending on who you listen to. Though some say Southgate set England up to lose.

Anyway it was also apparently good to let the less experienced second raters have a run out, also having the spin off benefit of protecting the First 11 from injury or penalties.

So not being a fan of the game I'm not sure whether to say well done or not.

But I hope they can progress.

Jerry Can! - Falkirk Bairn
A pig on BBC Breakfast yesterday chose Belgium to win.

Obviously the pig knew more about last night's game than Southgate.
 Jerry Can! - CGNorwich
No it didn't. The pig obviously thought it was necessary to win and England would go all out to do so. Both Belgian and England managers knew it was not and neither fielded their best side. Now, arguably, England have the better route to the semi finals.
 Jerry Can! - henry k
Someone telling porkies ?
It is all a bit ham fisted .
Last edited by: henry k on Fri 29 Jun 18 at 10:12
 Jerry Can! - smokie
Clearly not gammon.
Meaningless match.

It doesn't matter who you play in the last sixteen or the quarter finals, if your aspiration is to go all the way you'll have to face the quality sides sooner or later. I can't abide all the hype over nothing so I watched the Tunisia - Panama game.
 Jerry Can! - Zero
Yesterdays game was always going to be a "do nothing and we will be fine" game. English psyche, both management and players (and fans) can't cope with that. Its a game and outcome they are simply not equipped to deal with. Europeans do it well, South Americans do it superbly, with the ability turn it on and off from game to game as required.

The English on the other hand will be perplexed how rubbish teams can suddenly be good teams.
 Jerry Can! - smokie
So we planned to lose, I get it now, very smart, all went to plan then, what an excellent management and team we are blessed with.

Can't wait for the next instalment then...

:-)
 Jerry Can! - Haywain
Considering that few of the contributors to this site confess to any interest in football, I am surprised to see two World Cup threads running concurrently. Do we have some football supporters who have yet to come out of the closet?
>> So we planned to lose, I get it now, very smart, all went to plan
>> then, what an excellent management and team we are blessed with.
>>
>> Can't wait for the next instalment then...
>>
>> :-)
>>
England didn't plan to lose, smokie. But having already qualified they were not going to risk injuries and cards to their first choice eleven in order to ensure some questionable advantage in the knock out stages.

And it gave experience to the squad members who may be needed at some point in the tournament. Belgium did exactly the same thing.
 Jerry Can! - Haywain
"England didn't plan to lose, smokie. But having already qualified they were not going to risk injuries and cards to their first choice eleven in order to ensure some questionable advantage in the knock out stages."

I liked the way that Gareth Southgate kept a perfectly straight-face when interviewed after the match. It was a gamble, and he made a decision; I wouldn't criticise him.
Latest Forum Posts