Non-motoring > Boys lost in Thai caves..... Company Cars
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 76

Boys lost in Thai caves..... - No FM2R
Well, I'd have bet against that result.....

www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44688909
 Boys lost in Thai caves..... - R.P.
And me...thought they were gonners.
 Boys lost in Thai caves..... - Bromptonaut
>> And me...thought they were gonners.

Me too but provided you can breathe and drink you can survive a long time - eating is secondary.
 Boys lost in Thai caves..... - Driver
Great news!
 Boys lost in Thai caves..... - Stuartli
Best news of the week and, in fact, for this year so far.
Ok, as its now safe for some humour on the subject:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44692813

It seems that they may be their for their summer holidays!

Boys lost in Thai caves..... - Pat
>>their <<

Pedant alert?

Pat
 Boys lost in Thai caves..... - Lygonos
Good news such a novelty!

It is...
>> >>their <<
>>
>> Pedant alert?
>>
>> Pat
>>

It was 03:15, I wasn't quite awake!
 Boys lost in Thai caves..... - Pat
I'd been up for an hour and a half by then!

Pat
 Boys lost in Thai caves..... - Duncan
>> >>their <<
>>
>> Pedant alert?
>>
>> Pat
>>

On a point of pedantry.

The pendant alert should come before the error.
 Boys lost in Thai caves..... - Runfer D'Hills
I'm not not entirely sure I'm comfortable with the double spacing in your post Duncan. Seems, at best, showy. ;-))
 Boys lost in Thai caves..... - Zero
I think Duncan is one of these people who write letters to the editor in green ink.
 Boys lost in Thai caves..... - Clk Sec
Two paragraphs, too!

>> On a point of pedantry.

Surely an inappropriate full-stop?
Surely an inappropriate full-stop?

Should there be a space before the question mark er...Mark ?
I never have put a space to avoid just the question mark being wrapped.
On a point of self pedantry, ( is that legal now? ) I must apologise for the extra not.
 Boys lost in Thai caves..... - Mapmaker
Doesn't look like good news to me. Pound to a penny they don't all - if any - get out alive. The mind boggles as to why they were down there in the first place. Football coach sleepover with thirteen terrified children...
If the Thai army have to lead them out in scuba gear they will.
 Boys lost in Thai caves..... - commerdriver
>> The mind boggles as to why they were down there in the first place.
>>
Mainly because the rest of the world, in general, has less of a neurosis about elf n' safety than we do.

Teenage years are an age to take some measured risks, hiking, climbing, canoeing or rafting down rapids, potholing etc. With someone who knows a bit about what they are doing, it manages the risk.

None of us know the full details of what equipment and preparation they did but they didn't panic when things went pear shaped, found a safe place, had someone waiting so the alarm was raised reasonably quickly. The cave system seems to be mapped so is not unexplored territory and they have survived and will be rescued although it is not without some difficulties.

No doubt some inquiry will be done afterwards but I hope we never get to a position where youngsters are not allowed to take risks in a suitable environment.
 Boys lost in Thai caves..... - legacylad
Some of us still do, apart from the rock climbing ( 2 broken wrists)and potholing bit when I gave up crawling through wet sumps in my mid 20s. A friend of mine took his partner and children, aged 6 & 9, potholing last Saturday morning...kitted out with wellies, lamps and wet suits.
I still shoot rapids in rafts and IKs when the opportunity arises, spend 12 hour days backpacking in heat, and go up snowy pointy things in the Alps ( roped up to someone more knowledgable)
No complaints if I croak doing that kind of stuff at my age....
>> Some of us still do
>>
Still thinking like a youngster then :-)
>>No doubt some inquiry will be done afterwards but I hope we never get to a position where
>>youngsters are not allowed to take risks in a suitable environment.

I absolutely agree with you. However being led four miles into a cave that is known to flood at this time of year by one adult is not to my mind a suitable environment, nor an acceptable risk, nor an adequate level of adult presence. Do you think it is?

>> However being led four miles into a cave that is
>> known to flood at this time of year by one adult is not to my
>> mind a suitable environment, nor an acceptable risk, nor an adequate level of adult presence.
>> Do you think it is?
>>
Who knows? We have a tiny part of the story, from newspaper reports in another continent.
They are still alive, they have been found, the cave system appears to be mapped since sections are named, no idea what training or advice they had or what risk assessment was done, if any. Who are we to judge?
>Who are we to judge?

I have not seen anything that denies the following three points to be correct.

1. There is an elaborate cave system.
2. The system is known to flood for several months of the year and to be entirely inaccessible for this period.
3. We are at the start of this rainy period.
4. The consequence of the rains coming whilst you are in the cave is near-certain death. (Or a several-month-long imprisonment.)

The Thai rainy season commences in May/June (according to their tourism website), and the consequences of a failure are so high that without a near-zero probability of its raining means that the conclusion of any proper risk assessment has to be, find somewhere else to go. That they were taken in by their 25 year-old football coach does not inspire confidence in the risk assessment procedure.

Just because you call it a 'risk assessment' these days doesn't mean that people didn't evaluate the risk in the 'good old days'. At least, the ones who lived did.
>> >Who are we to judge?
>>
>> I have not seen anything that denies the following three points to be correct.......
>>
I haven't seen anything that denies that there are hobbits down there either

All I have seen are newspaper reports from the other side of the world and I hesitate to condemn anyone on the basis of these.
If you know the caves or have other knowledge about it, please enlighten us.
Otherwise, I remain unwilling to blame anyone or anything at this point.

>> I haven't seen anything that denies that there are hobbits down there either

And I thought we were having a sensible conversation. No, I agree. All children should be sent into that cave. The sooner the better. They tried it in Hamlyn too...
>>
>> >> I haven't seen anything that denies that there are hobbits down there either
>>
>> And I thought we were having a sensible conversation. No, I agree. All children should
>> be sent into that cave. The sooner the better. They tried it in Hamlyn too...
>>
Or even Hamelin

It stops being sensible when, having no more knowledge about it than anyone else here, as all any of us really have to go on is long distance foreign language news reports, you make a statement based on NOT having seen anything that DENIES something. Too many negatives.

Maybe, in the fullness of time someone will investigate the matter properly and the teacher or someone else will be brought to book for putting students lives in danger, but until that time we cannot definitely state that it was an unacceptable risk.

That was the point I was trying to make, As I say, if you are an experiences caver who has some knowledge of this area please feel free to criticise the situation.
I've been launching myself into the air, or throwing myself down near vertical slopes on my bike, or on skis, since I was a small child without so much as a second thought.

But there is no way, not a chance, that I could crawl about underground or in a cave. Stuff that. I reckon I'll spend enough time buried in the dark in due course... :-(
>> Doesn't look like good news to me. Pound to a penny they don't all -
>> if any - get out alive. The mind boggles as to why they were down
>> there in the first place. Football coach sleepover with thirteen terrified children...
>>

Of course it is good news. It's better than finding them dead ffs!

Some or all of them may yet die, but now there is a chance that they may be saved!
 Boys lost in Thai caves..... - rtj70
Here's part of my crazy idea - you bring in 'pipes' (big ones) for them to crawl through on the trickier sections and have pumps keeping them clear of water. Something like that anyway.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 4 Jul 18 at 23:35
There will be a Dutch engineer on the case no doubt !
 Boys lost in Thai caves..... - martin aston
Attitude to risk is an odd part of human nature. Take motorway gantry signs. They usually warn of long gone hazards such as debris, fog or animals. So, over time, drivers get complacent and most drive on at normal motorway speeds, in fact its often more dangerous to reduce your speed and risk being rear-ended.

Then one day a major pile-up happens and people ask "but didnt you read the signs?"

Maybe not wholly comparable but I suggest more people die on our motorways having ignored warnings than have ever died in a Thai cave.

So maybe the cave warnings are taken with a pinch of salt early in the wet season with potentially deadly consequences.
 Boys lost in Thai caves..... - smokie
rtj70, you must have read Elon Muck's mind...

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44735412
He probably just read my post on here.
>> Of course it is good news. It's better than finding them dead ffs!

I'd call it very moderate news at best!

Thanks Commerdriver for pointing out my silly typo.
>>I'd call it very moderate news at best!

You can be such a dick.

They were found alive, and you don't think that is good news. It's not the end of the tale, obviously, but FFS, get a life.
Its a drama, everyone loves a real drama, specially one with an as yet unknown ending.
 Boys lost in Thai caves..... - Rudedog
Seems one of the volunteer divers as died after running out of air while in the caves.
Tragic. Dangerous game.
>>They were found alive, and you don't think that is good news.

Be sensible. It's obviously better than finding them dead, but a 38-year-old ex-Navy diver has just died trying to get back from there. Oxygen levels in the chamber are down to 15%.

Call it realism or pessimism as you wish but we're a long way from good news.
So the race is on to get them out because:

1. The rainy season is imminent and waters could rise
2. Oxygen levels are getting low .... and the more people in there the quicker it will be used up

To avoid a panicked and rushed exist, can they not use the pumps in reverse to blow some air into the chamber and buy some more time? That assumes they can get a pipe all the way in from outside.
 Boys lost in Thai caves..... - BiggerBadderDave
Shame Dirk Pitt is retired.

He'd have had them out by now and drinking tequila in bar with an admiral's daughter.
>>Dirk Pitt

If only life were that simple!

Anyway, not sure about the Admiral's daughter, after all, he is married now! :-)
Is that the cave boys he rescued in Thailand, or the ones in the Sahara, or the ones in South America, or the ones in Antarctica or all the other 300 similar but different location cave boy rescues?
 Boys lost in Thai caves..... - MD
Some sensible posts, some absolute trivia. It's not funny, far from it.
>> It's not funny, far from it.

Indeed. Getting them out alive along with all involved is going to be difficult. Assuming no increase in water level, oxygen levels okay in all chambers.

Let us not forget an experienced caver-scuba person is taking 6 hours to get in and 5 to get back out. That's not on one cylinder of air.

Drilling a big hole seems a folly.... but if only the Boring Company could do it there. He should leave the 'flame throwers' at home though.
 Boys lost in Thai caves..... - Cliff Pope
>> >> It's not funny, far from it.
>>

It certainly isn't. I'm terrified of venturing into any cave more than about 2 yards.
In their situation if I got out alive I'd be a screaming hysterical lunatic for the rest of my life.

>> In their situation if I got out alive I'd be a screaming hysterical lunatic for
>> the rest of my life.

So when was your trapped in cave experience?

>>
>> So when was your trapped in cave experience?
>>

Mostly in my head. I just can't stand small spaces, and often have nightmares about being trapped.
I've been through a very short canal tunnel once, and that was horrible. Multi story car parks make me very uncomfortable and keen to get out. So I'd never in a million years have gone down a Thai cave .
Rescue mission now underway...
Are some now out?
4 out safely apparently.
8 now and the rest today hopefully.
 Boys lost in Thai caves..... - VxFan
>> and the rest today hopefully.

Yep, all out now.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/44755093
There will be a film, for sure
The film about the Chilean miners did very badly, so we can hope not.
There will be a film, for sure
The film about the Chilean miners did very badly, so we can hope not.
See there was a sequel as well
It wasn't very original though.
 Boys lost in Thai caves..... - tyrednemotional
...I think I'm suffering from déjà vu (not for the first time.....)

;-)
Now that is good news. Not the result I expected.
I'm still puzzled how they got the bus out ;-)
 Boys lost in Thai caves..... - Duncan
>> I'm still puzzled how they got the bus out ;-)
>>

It wasn't a bus, it was a coach.
>> It wasn't a bus, it was a coach.

Did they manage to get the pumpkin out?
What is a "seal"? The word seems suddenly to have come into use.
 Boys lost in Thai caves..... - henry k
Founded in Jan 1962
The United States Navy's Sea, Air and Land Teams, commonly abbreviated as the Navy SEALs, are the U.S. Navy's primary special operations force and a component of the Naval Special Warfare Command.
Other countries appear to have set up similar forces.
Thank you.
It's odd the way these words suddenly appear without explanation in everday usage. Like 1976, as Robert Robinson observed, when standpipes and ayatollahs were invented.

It's an odd allusion though, seals not being noted for their abilities on land or air.
 Boys lost in Thai caves..... - Old Navy
>> It's an odd allusion though, seals not being noted for their abilities on land or
>> air.
>>

I believe that Bin Laden was on land when their team six relieved him of his life having been delivered by air from a sea bourne aircraft carrier. They tend to be good divers, parachutists, and soldiers, although they used helicopters for the airborne bit of that operation.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 12 Jul 18 at 09:05
 Boys lost in Thai caves..... - Old Navy
Missed the edit,

The concept is that they can operate in any environment, they are the equivalent of our SAS / SBS.
>> There will be a film, for sure

Yep, and a museum too.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44803386
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 12 Jul 18 at 09:23
 Boys lost in Thai caves..... - Fullchat
Bit like Titanic.

We know the ending :)
I feel a law suit coming:

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/thai-cave-rescue-elon-musk-british-diver-vern-unsworth-twitter-pedo-a8448366.html
>> I feel a law suit coming:
>>

Something a bit weird about this Vern Unsworth. It doesn't all look as straightforward as it might.
Latest Forum Posts