Non-motoring > RAF 100 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 8

RAF 100 - Zero
Little mention on here I see.

I had a day out with friends arranged, they wanted to see the RAF100, we didnt want to go anywhere near the mall.

So after about three hours research pouring over route plans, OS maps and Google Earth I found a spot where I hoped we would see them, get a good walk in, and have lunch in a pub.

The chosen location was Beacon Hill at Kelvedon Hatch, Met at a nearby church, parked cars, had a good walk (including the dog) ending up at chosen location on a hill (with a view from Chelmsford to the Canary Wharf towers) to wait and see if my calculations were a delight or disaster.

With much relief I knew it would be good when the chopper contingent formed up about a mile away, then circled over us and departed for the mall, followed at various intervals by the entire circus, right over our heads at about 1000 feet. The Tailing arrows even did a test smoke at our location.

Then it was a 30 minute drive for lunch at the Barge at Battlesbridge.

Our friends are now in deep awe at my map reading and planning skills. Didnt dare tell them I tried something similar a few years back and was 5 miles out.

RAF 100 - Haywain
We were listening into Radio Suffolk for any information regarding the route but, in the end, resorted to pot-luck and the rather crude published map.

We found a spot near the Orwell Bridge and saw the bigger stuff (i.e. before the helicopters and WW2 aircraft joined in), though neither my mate nor I managed to get any decent photos.
Last edited by: Haywain on Wed 11 Jul 18 at 10:38
 RAF 100 - Mapmaker
We had an office trip down to the Mall which was busy but not impossible. Great show.
 RAF 100 - sooty123
Some people went down from our place and enjoyed it. I saw a bit on tv, I don't think it came across well on tele, but I'm sure it was good for those there.
 RAF 100 - Stuartli
Magnificent display, made possible by many months of meticulous planning logistics wise.

The whole day of celebration was a tribute to just how the UK can rise to the occasion in superb style.
 RAF 100 - R.P.
Saw the Hawks return to RAF Valley in Diamond Nine formation. Happened to be white vanning in the area...impressive.
 RAF 100 - MD
What, your Vanning? :-)
 RAF 100 - R.P.
Not really. 250k Sprinter box van with a tail-list. Shed.
 RAF 100 - Zero
If its got a tail list, I'd get them rear springs fixed
Latest Forum Posts