Non-motoring > first Atlantic crossing Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sooty123 Replies: 28

first Atlantic crossing - sooty123
www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-gloucestershire-44799794/drone-completes-first-ever-atlantic-flight

In amongst all the other headlines I saw this on the news. Pretty impressive I think, plus it could have gone on for another 15 hours. Usually stripped down and moved long distances by in a crate.

I believe it's build to fly in controlled airspace in Europe as well. 19 more to come over the next couple of years.
 first Atlantic crossing - Cliff Pope
Presumably that's a real crossing, not touching down on its support vessel and being recharged each night?
 first Atlantic crossing - No FM2R
>>not touching down on its support vessel and being recharged each night?

I find that ridiculous, do they do that? Why do they do it and then claim it as anything?

A friend of mine sailed around the world the hard way single-handedly, supposedly non-stop. Much was said about his intrepidness (intrepidity?). Now I'm not saying what he did was easy or trivial, it most certainly wasn't, but he got off the boat more than once and stopped for repairs at one point.

Hardly seemed like the point to me.
>> Presumably that's a real crossing, not touching down on its support vessel and being recharged
>> each night?
>>

Support vessel?
 first Atlantic crossing - Old Navy
>> Support vessel?
>>

Recharge?

It's a jet aircraft, the only difference is the pilot is not on board.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 12 Jul 18 at 18:59
 first Atlantic crossing - Cliff Pope
I'm sure the whole thing was real, non-stop, unsupported. I'm just observing that some of these similar claimed achievements are not continuous and unbroken.

There is a record time for climbing all 3 highest peaks in Britain. I don't think it includes travel time in between.
I know someone who claims to be walking round the whole perimeter of Wales. But he hasn't done it continuously, camping along the way. He drives each weekend to the point he last reached, walks, and then gets picked up and taken home.
Very long distance swimmers I think come aboard their support vessel at intervals.

I'm sure there are other examples. I'm not necessarily denigrating their achievements, just pointing out that some records are not quite what they seem. This drone crossing does clearly come into the genuine category.
 first Atlantic crossing - Old Navy
My thoughts were it looks like a military drone stripped of its military kit.
Not unexpected, I don't think it's in service until next year.
 first Atlantic crossing - Duncan
What's it for?
 first Atlantic crossing - Zero
>> What's it for?

www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/15/us-led-drone-strike-kills-pakistan-taliban-leader-mullah-fazlullah
>> >> What's it for?
>>
>> www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/15/us-led-drone-strike-kills-pakistan-taliban-leader-mullah-fazlullah
>>

Do you really think that is wise?
Huh?
Killing people.
>> Killing people.

Depends on who, why, by whom
For crossing the Atlantic...

And persistent surveillance along with ability to strike targets.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Fri 13 Jul 18 at 08:30
 first Atlantic crossing - Bromptonaut
>> My thoughts were it looks like a military drone stripped of its military kit.

That was my conclusion too. There's a long history US commercial aircraft derived from projects funded by the military.
I'm not sure that's the case here, i don't think there's much commercial applications from this, some but not many.
>> I'm not sure that's the case here, i don't think there's much commercial applications from
>> this, some but not many.

Surveying, Mapping maybe. Payload is too low for commercial use, support infrastructure too costly and generally unavailable. There is no commercial system that would allow 100% reliable global command and control, to create one is immensely costly, plus you have various countries air safety boards to worry about The military don't have an ROI to aim for or care about safety rules.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 13 Jul 18 at 11:00
plus you have various countries air safety boards
>> to worry about

This is the first one, that I'm aware of, that will fly in controlled airspace in the UK. Small steps and they'll be limitations but even this is a jump forward. Not enough to be commercial interest but in as far as what it was designed for and it's target audience.

The military don't have an ROI to aim for

I'm not sure what ROI is?

or care about
>> safety rules.
>>

That's not really true in the broadbrush stroke fashion, which rules were you thinking of?

>> I'm not sure what ROI is?

Return on Investment.

>> That's not really true in the broadbrush stroke fashion, which rules were you thinking of?

Non military ones
That's not really true in the broadbrush stroke fashion, which rules were you thinking
>> of?
>>
>> Non military ones
>>

Such as?
Height, noise, flight corridors, system redundancy, pilot hours regulations, can't be prosecuted......
The military have and follow rules regarding all those things you've listed.
Not the same rules

Do you honestly think a commercial company would have been allowed to fly an unmanned drone of that size all that way? And over the UK?

No is the answer
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 13 Jul 18 at 11:54
General atomics flew it over, we haven't accepted into service. I'm pretty sure it's still on civilian registration as well.
 first Atlantic crossing - commerdriver
>> >> Non military ones
>> >>
>>
>> Such as?
>>
For example in the series of Toy Stories which James May did a few years ago they were refused air traffic permission to fly a remotely controlled glider across the channel never mind the Atlantic
For example in the series of Toy Stories which James May did a few years
>> ago they were refused air traffic permission to fly a remotely controlled glider across the
>> channel never mind the Atlantic
>>

The CAA refused it, probably so. I'm not sure how that links to the military not caring about non military rules?
The CAA has no control over what the military do.
No control, not really true. Transiting through civil airspace and a fair few of mil are on the civilian register so by default have to follow those rules.
Latest Forum Posts