Non-motoring > Gareth Southgate Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 18

Gareth Southgate - No FM2R

If you have any interest in the man, then this is worth watching.

It's an interview, an hour long, between Gareth Southgate and Guillem Balague, one of the better Spanish language pundits - this interview is in English. It's from March, so a bit before the World Cup.

At an hour it's longer than the 5 minute soundbites we've become used to, but honestly, it really is worth it.

Some of the insights in the middle are fascinating. And towards the end when he talks about how he will judge the team's performance at the World Cup give even more credibility to the interviews he has given at the World Cup itself.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vOqVt-TxH4
 Gareth Southgate - R.P.
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b6bw01

Radio 4's excellent Profile series had an episode dedicated to him. Real eye opener. Changed my sullied view of the "beautiful game"
Last edited by: R.P. on Fri 13 Jul 18 at 19:36
 Gareth Southgate - Robin O'Reliant
Unless you are clever like Lord Ferg and quit while you're ahead, all football managers jobs end in failure. Darling of the media today, vegetable headed figure of tabloid fun tomorrow should either qualifying for or playing in the next tournament not meet (Unrealistic) expectations.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Fri 13 Jul 18 at 20:14
 Gareth Southgate - R.P.
UK's media is England Football Team's worst enemy. Constant niggling. In fairness to the team that went to Russia, they ran a very tight media ship in the run up. Kept out of the glare of media publicity.
>>UK's media is England Football Team's worst enemy. Constant niggling

They really are whiney b******s.

One of the worst is Tom Fordyce; though I was delighted to seem him climb down and rewrite one of his pieces on the BBC website after he'd been particularly whiney about the Croatia game. Gutless a***.
 Gareth Southgate - henry k
A small reward. ( for 48 hours only)

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44844999
 Gareth Southgate - R.P.
Nice. They came a very creditable fourth, which is far better than expectations. Fans seemed to have escaped a predicted thrashing from Russian thugs. Maybe the media should leave off their dodgy sniping. I listened to some of the BBC's "pundits" - Shearer seems to be a knowledgeable gent - the others were a bit amateur and seemed to droned on too much before and after the games in the so-called analysis.
The media sneering and sniping is awful, fortunately they know when they're being badly received and quite a lot of retraction and rewording has occurred.

Most of the pundits annoy me, but Shearer does know what he's talking about, as does Lineker. Some of the younger ones are quite good as well.
>>
>>
>> Most of the pundits annoy me, but Shearer does know what he's talking about,
>>

Except in disputing the penalty awarded to France. It was a stone bonker handball.
Didn't see it, but I take your word for it.

He's also got a striker's bias towards how slight a touch is necessary for a penalty.

But, and this probably doesn't make sense, his bias comes from his role as a professional footballer and almost makes him more "real".
 Gareth Southgate - CGNorwich
No it wasn't and certainly not a proper use of VAR
Definite penalty. He didn't deliberately mean to handle the ball, but his eyes were on it and he moved his hand down to make contact. It is an instinctive thing to do in a moment of danger, you know you shouldn't and you know what the outcome will be but you can't stop yourself from doing it to foil a possible goal. I can clearly remember doing it myself a couple of times, though a long time ago and at a much lower level. You automatically try and get in the way of the ball and if your hand is the nearest thing to it it just seems to move on it's own.
Isn't the criteria "hand to ball" rather than "ball to hand"?

Presumably meaning that from your description this was a penalty.
The flight of the ball didn't alter as it came in from the corner and the defenders hand went down to meet it. I think the ref got that one right.
 Gareth Southgate - sooty123
'Unnatural movement ' is that the key phrase?
 Gareth Southgate - Haywain
" It is an instinctive thing to do in a moment of danger, you know you shouldn't and you know what the outcome will be but you can't stop yourself from doing it to foil a possible goal."

What if you deliberately and instinctively move your hand to stop the ball hitting you in the goolies or in the face?
 Gareth Southgate - Zero

>> What if you deliberately and instinctively move your hand to stop the ball hitting you
>> in the goolies or in the face?

its handball
 Gareth Southgate - sooty123
Just had time to watch this, good interview. Good interviewer as well, knew what questions to ask and knew when to shut up
I'm pleased you enjoyed it.

Since then I've watched some of his other interviews; they're pretty good. I particularly enjoyed the Rafa Benitez one.
Latest Forum Posts