Non-motoring > World Cup final in 4k Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 13

World Cup final in 4k - Zero
Or Ultra HD as the BBC call it. Via Iplayer.

Iplayer is one of the apps on my TV, and the BBC are doing an UltraHD live stream

Looks very good on my TV, motion is very smooth, the flight of the ball is superb. Its hammering my internet connection, in excess of 50mb, but no dropouts or artefacts.

You really need a BIIIIIIIIIIIG screen to get the best of it, my 38 incher at 6 feet looks sharp, if you stuff your face 18 inches away, its reeeeeeeeealllllllly sharp.

Still think HDR is a better option tho.

World Cup final in 4k - R.P.
Listening to the radio - measures 100mm x 75mm. Doesn't need internet.. :-)
 World Cup final in 4k - Old Navy
I didn't know that BMW fitted 38" screens, is it on the options list? Does it have a USB charger?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 15 Jul 18 at 17:24
 World Cup final in 4k - martin aston
I tried the 4k on one of the earlier matches on our 50" screen. The motion wasn't as smooth as normal HD by satellite or broadcast. As we sit about 10' from the screen there was no discernible sharpness benefit. So we resumed normal viewing.

4k seems a bit of a non-event for most domestic users with normal-sized 4k screens and sensible viewing distances.
Last edited by: martin aston on Sun 15 Jul 18 at 18:50
 World Cup final in 4k - Old Navy
Do you think it will go the same way as 3D TV?
 World Cup final in 4k - Stuartli
Did anyone watch it in VR and, if so, how good was it?

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.bbc.sport.vrfifa18.mobile

There were other versions available:

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44038006
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sun 15 Jul 18 at 19:25
 World Cup final in 4k - rtj70
>> Do you think it will go the same way as 3D TV?

No because on larger TVs Ultra HD will give an advantage. On a 32" definitely not.

HDR is something that will be more noticeable though in terms of image improvement for real programmes.

I am surprised at the quality some will put up with when streaming (or using dodgy streams) compared to what we all expected with DVDs and later BluRay disks.
 World Cup final in 4k - Bromptonaut
I'm fine with Freeview HD channels but we're on 17" as that's biggest that fits with other furniture.

Not convinced it's done more than return to resolution of 625 line UHF/analogue circa 1972.
 World Cup final in 4k - Robin O'Reliant
>> I'm fine with Freeview HD channels but we're on 17" as that's biggest that fits
>> with other furniture.
>>
>> Not convinced it's done more than return to resolution of 625 line UHF/analogue circa 1972.
>>
>>
Maybe it's time you bought a colour set, Brompt?
 World Cup final in 4k - Lygonos
17" screen is little bigger than a sheet of A4.

Are you living in a tunnel with round doors and windows?

World Cup final in 4k - Zero
>> 17" screen is little bigger than a sheet of A4.
>>
>> Are you living in a tunnel with round doors and windows?

and a seat that wont recline too far?
 World Cup final in 4k - Lygonos
tinyurl.com/bromp-at-home

World Cup final in 4k - Bromptonaut
>> 17" screen is little bigger than a sheet of A4.
>>
>> Are you living in a tunnel with round doors and windows?

17" was a miss-remember albeit quite a lot bigger than A4, it's actually 21 which is biggest 16:9 that will fit. At 4:3 it was 14".

We manage fine either way.
 World Cup final in 4k - Stuartli
Our early TVs were housed in an enclosed space in a fireside cabinet (there was a caibinet either side) and the largest CRT set that it could take was a 21in.

When LED sets hit the market we acquired one, the equivalent of the 21in television being a 26in model. As many will be aware, the definition of these early LCD sets wasn't a patch on CRT models due to the "smearing" of moving figures or objects.
Latest Forum Posts