Non-motoring > Cycling Corner - Volume 36 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 50

Cycling Corner - Volume 36 - R.P.

More pedal power chat.

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 13 Nov 18 at 13:55
 Dangerous - Mapmaker
I nominate Blackfriars Road cycle lane as silly dangerous.

Come out of Pockock Street goo.gl/maps/CdK51ySXFA52 and do the left-right dog-leg to go straight on. You are then faced with this view:

goo.gl/maps/Fn11o5Vpvds

And a flood of bicycles heading from left to right up to the city during the morning rush hour. Who would guess form the road markings and signs that the occasional poor devil cyclist is trying to cycle in the opposite direction? Probably not the motorist who is trapped with a line of traffic to his left that can't get round him.

Do a similar move, by coming out from Weber Street to turn right onto Blackfriars Road: goo.gl/maps/Fn11o5Vpvds

At which point you are faced with this.

goo.gl/maps/8peozroCZdT2

It's extremely tempting to drive straight into the cycle lane, with looks like the left-hand carriageway. Reasonably clear here, but do it in the dark when it's raining. Nearly caught me the first time.

Dangerous - Bromptonaut
>> I nominate Blackfriars Road cycle lane as silly dangerous.
>>
>> Come out of Pockock Street goo.gl/maps/CdK51ySXFA52 and do the left-right dog-leg to go straight on.
>> You are then faced with this view:
>>
>> goo.gl/maps/Fn11o5Vpvds

There used to be a similar set up along Tavistock PLace - south side of Gordon Square. Equal number of cyclists both ways but a nightmare to cross for motor vehicles exiting the west side of Gordon Square and trying to look for four different traffic flows.

Now been modified. Tavi Place is one way for motor vehicles with westbound cyclists to south and eastbound to north.
 Whose liability? - tyrednemotional
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-45869825

...discuss
 Whose liability? - No FM2R
What sort of sign?

"Lookout, there's a lot of water and if you fall in that would be bad"?
....actually, quite a lot like this..... (it is one of many)

goo.gl/maps/1LDTow5Vy2S2

(I know the area quite well)
 Whose liability? - Bromptonaut
Report is unclear as to location but linked item from time of original accident says near M Shed:

goo.gl/maps/hDNCMtXKbGU2

A wet dockside criss/crossed by rail lines. Is it a designated cycle route?

I suspect some liability may attache to Council but with a VERY big discount for Contributory Negligence.

Wonder what victim did for a living £2m seems a big claim but it's a long time since I had anything to do with such damages.
...it is on a National Cycle route, but this is clearly signposted round the back of M Shed, both with signs and road markings (and away from the quay edge in the immediate vicinity - see my Streetview link above).

Whatever, the potential dangers should have been immediately obvious to anyone capable of safely riding a bicycle - there is such a thing as personal responsibility, you know ;-)
>> ...it is on a National Cycle route, but this is clearly signposted round the back
>> of M Shed, both with signs and road markings (and away from the quay edge
>> in the immediate vicinity - see my Streetview link above).

Your photo and mine crossed in the ether. Yours tells us more as it shows the signage but any fule kno rail or tram lines and bikes don't mix.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 16 Oct 18 at 14:05
 Whose liability? - sooty123
Quick question, if a cycle lane is marked out at the side of the road is it illegal to park in it ?
 Whose liability? - CGNorwich
No, not unless it is so marked, I.e yellow lines
 Whose liability? - sooty123
Cheers.
I think I may be wrong. If it is marked by a solid white line It would ne illegal to drive across that line and therefore park in it
Rule 140 of the Highway Code states: Cycle lanes. These are shown by road markings and signs. You MUST NOT drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a solid white line during its times of operation. Do not drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a broken white line unless it is unavoidable. The
 Whose liability? - Boxsterboy
>> Rule 140 of the Highway Code states: Cycle lanes. Do not drive or park in a
>> cycle lane marked by a broken white line unless it is unavoidable.
>>

Ha! If I had a penny for every yard of cycle lane thus marked where I have seen people drive or park (entirely avoidably) I would be a millionaire!
>> Quick question, if a cycle lane is marked out at the side of the road
>> is it illegal to park in it ?

Depends on how it's marked. Highway Code rule 140:

You MUST NOT drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a solid white line during its times of operation.

Otherwise it depends on the waiting restriction - yellow lines.

EDIT: Corss post with CGN.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 17 Oct 18 at 21:40
Well, it appears that common sense has prevailed:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-45920112

I can't help but think that "no win, no fee" has a lot to answer for.......
>> I can't help but think that "no win, no fee" has a lot to answer
>> for.......

In this case it does but it's claimant's solicitors and/or their after event insurers who bear loss.

Maybe they'll be more careful next time.
 Falling off when you're older. - Fenlander
I don't know Runfer's age with all his exploits but yesterday I had a crashing fall and boy it hurts loads more the day after at 62 than it did when I was 12.

Large hole in a short section of grass on the way back from village shops that was full of leaves so not visible. Took the front wheel out from under me at a brisk pace so over the bars and onto the back of me neck then a full roll over crushing the contents of my rucksack.

I was a little more careful this am cycling the same route to get some co-codamol!
 Falling off when you're older. - Runfer D'Hills
Only 2 years behind you Fenlander, and no, I don't bounce like I used to either. Still regularly riding up and throwing myself down mountains though. If it finishes me off one day at least I'll have been having fun when it happens rather than sitting watching the telly with a rug over my knees waiting to fade away !
 Falling off when you're older. - Runfer D'Hills
...in fact, I know a chap who's 82 and still mountain bikes most days. A couple of years ago, he and one of his pals of similar vintage, did a sponsored thing where they rode from Lands End to John O'Groats off-road. Using green lanes, forest trails and mountain passes etc.

You don't have to stop, you just maybe have to do it a bit more carefully as the years advance.
 Bournemouth - new speed warning signs - VxFan
Council and beach hut owners spend £12,000 on promenade signs telling cyclists to slow down.

The vehicle-activated signs flash up the speed limit of 10mph to warn offending riders they are going too fast.

The four digital devices cost £3,000 each and have been placed along the seven-mile prom at Bournemouth, Dorset.

tinyurl.com/y9njpmbe - The Telegraph
 Bournemouth - new speed warning signs - smokie
I was in Brighton last weekend and the prom has clearly defined (and quite wide) cycle lanes.

I am fairly cautious to not meander in "their" lane, and to check both ways before crossing. SWMBO is getting there but it stuck me that many people do not really take much notice, and amble along in the lane.

Some of the cyclists really need to take anger management lessons though, and learn how to behave in a more grown-up fashion when children are in earshot!!
 SKY - Boxsterboy
SKY are to withdraw sponsorship of their eponymous cycling team at the end of next year, following their take-over by Comcast, whose owner presumably has other interests... SKY's sponsorship came as a result of James Murdoch's love of cycling.

They have by far the deepest pockets in the sport, so bad news for cycle racing, and everything that trickles down from it.
 SKY - Manatee
>> They have by far the deepest pockets in the sport, so bad news for cycle
>> racing, and everything that trickles down from it.

I don't think money is particularly good for sport, although no doubt it has some plus points.
 SKY - henry k
"SKY are to withdraw sponsorship of their eponymous cycling team"

McLaren now in the mix.
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/46536013

"The announcement comes on the same day broadcaster Sky said it is to withdraw backing Team Sky"
 SKY - Zero

>> "The announcement comes on the same day broadcaster Sky said it is to withdraw backing
>> Team Sky"

So its just "team" then?
 SKY - zippy
>>Comcast

I have had experience of an American company buying a British one and it wasn't pretty.

The new MD arrived in a limo with a bodyguard - this was a finance company - goodness knows what he was expecting! The American buyer was an American bank.

Turned up like that daily too.

Loads of local connections that the company had, like membership of the local better business bureau, charities, work experience days for local schools, sponsorship of local sporting teams etc. were all terminated with a really curt letter.

After about a month, and a review by a firm of management consultants from America, the redundancies came. Nearly all of the admin staff were let go and client manager numbers halved.

Of course there was no one left to answer the phones and on the next Monday morning phones were ringing off the hook by clients that wanted drawdowns of their loans.

I witnessed the new MD walk around the office, pick up ringing phones and just slam the receiver down without saying a word.

They owned the firm for about a year before selling it on - after it made profits of £8m but paid them dividends of £18m!

Damages Award - Bromptonaut
Cyclist liable for damages after pedestrian walks out in front of him:

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jun/18/woman-knocked-down-while-on-phone-wins-payout-from-cyclist

Report suggests she was distracted by her phone. Judge found 50% contributory negligence.

Looks roughly fair to me. A warning to give pedestrians space to be indecisive. I'd hope I'd have sensed what she was about to do and had avoiding action sorted but who can tell?
 Damages Award - smokie
Do any cyclists have insurance for this kind of thing? If not, does the household insurance (or any other) cover it (I can't imagine it does!), or will he have to pay from his pocket?
>> Do any cyclists have insurance for this kind of thing? If not, does the household
>> insurance (or any other) cover it (I can't imagine it does!), or will he have
>> to pay from his pocket?

If you're a member of Cycling UK (CTC), British Cycling or the London Cycling Campaign then third party insurance is part of the deal. No doubt there are loads of other clubs/associations with similar benefits. I also think some household policies bundle this sort of liability but as I've been in CTC since my teens it's not something I've paid great attention to when moving buildings/contents insurance about.

I'd assume her lawyers would have made sure he had insurance or means before launching case.

With no lasting issues and 50% contributory negligence I doubt she's in line for a life changing sum. Indeed there might well be a fight about costs way in excess of the sum at issue.
 Damages Award - Robin O'Reliant
As the pedestrian was held to be 50% responsible for the collision, I suppose one could also ask if she has any insurance to cover any damage she might cause.
>> As the pedestrian was held to be 50% responsible for the collision, I suppose one
>> could also ask if she has any insurance to cover any damage she might cause.

The possibility of his counterclaim crossed my mind too.
 Damages Award - smokie
Good point!!
Further to this Cycling UK have published some tips for cycling safely:

www.cyclinguk.org/article/video-guide-five-top-tips-safer-journey

Number 3 is relevant to case in this sub thread. The step off the kerb thing happens to me every few days on my way home. It's not just the phone fixated either. One section is a contraflow cycle lane. People regularly look in direction cars or buses will come from but ignore possibility of cyclist traffic in opposite direction. Sight lines are good and 99% of time you can sense the muppets who'll do it well in advance.

People stepping off buses and not looking properly is another hazard. Advice in film about keeping brakes covered and attempting eye contact are relevant here as is looking through the bus to anticipate those who'll disembark then walk unthinkingly across front of stationery vehicle and into my path.
 Damages Award - Manatee
One section is a contraflow cycle lane. People regularly look in direction
>> cars or buses will come from but ignore possibility of cyclist traffic in opposite direction.

There's one of those on Farringdon Street. I have to say it's lethal to pedestrians unfamiliar, we aren't really looking at road markings and the cycles come at a hell of a rate downhill from the left. If a cyclist doing 25mph there hit somebody I would say the cyclist was largely responsible. Fine once you know it's there, but not everybody does.
>> There's one of those on Farringdon Street. I have to say it's lethal to pedestrians
>> unfamiliar, we aren't really looking at road m

Have you got a streetview link for that?
 Damages Award - Manatee
>> >> There's one of those on Farringdon Street. I have to say it's lethal to
>> pedestrians
>> >> unfamiliar, we aren't really looking at road m
>>
>> Have you got a streetview link for that?
>>

tinyurl.com/yxcofbml

Looking north/uphill. In a morning there are very few uphill cyclists. The downhill ones are released by the traffic lights in batches so it can be unoccupied and seconds later it's like the start of the Tour de France.

It's a while since I nearly came to grief there, shortly after it was created I think. It's a bit more obvious now there's an obvious crossing point and an island.
 Damages Award - Haywain
How long before scammers start walking out in front of oncoming cyclists in the hope of a big payout? This, in line with everything else, is utterly bonkers.
Cyclist says he faces bankruptcy:

www.lawgazette.co.uk/news/cyclist-faces-bankruptcy-over-100k-costs-bill-for-injured-pedestrian/5070701.article

Looks as though he was not insured and was late seeking advice.

One rather hopes the claimant's lawyers get stung with loss if he does go bankrupt. Costs of £100k for a claim that was worth £10k before discount for negligence are an abuse.
It is a few years since I've been a member of British Cycling, but I think I'll join up again. The chances of such a thing happening are slim, but the consequences are catastrophic if one's number comes up.
 Damages Award - Haywain
"The chances of such a thing happening are slim, but the consequences are catastrophic if one's number comes up."

It's much more likely to happen after this judgement - and it will be even more likely to happen if cyclists are all insured. It's so much easier than 'cash for crash'.
>> It's much more likely to happen after this judgement - and it will be even
>> more likely to happen if cyclists are all insured. It's so much easier than 'cash
>> for crash'.

For goodness sake calm down man. Crash for Cash involves a 'fender bender'accident and some people who're trained to fake whiplash.

I'm only a small guy but if you step out in front of my bike and chew the tarmac it'll bloomon hurt. Put my 100kg neighbour who plays for Northampton Saints in the saddle and you'll be in traction.

Never mind his Counterclaim for loss of wages and appearance money.
 Damages Award - tyrednemotional
...ask yourself, if he had been cycling down the pavement, would she have been considered to be 50% to blame?

Something very perverse about the basic ruling, unless there are unreported aspects. The costs award is simply the natural result of that questionable ruling and his not making a counter-claim.

I note there is a crowd funding initiative for the money, with many also offering to contribute to an appeal.
 Damages Award - Haywain
"I'm only a small guy"

Yes - I had already worked that out.
>> "I'm only a small guy"
>>
>> Yes - I had already worked that out.

Tit.
>> How long before scammers start walking out in front of oncoming cyclists in the hope
>> of a big payout? This, in line with everything else, is utterly bonkers.
>>
If you step out in front of a car travelling at 20mph or less you can easily roll up the bonnet and avoid an injurious impact (Though not if you're my age).

As Brompt says, step in front of a bike doing that speed and you are likely to end up with a broken leg or hip, and that's before the brake levers, pedals and chainring tear into you - plus the rider is going to be coming at you over the bars, and even a skinny kid who gets sand kicked in his face is going to do a lot of damage.
 Damages Award - sooty123
It's unlikely to happen I agree however it's hardly impossible to happen. People do all sorts of things for money especially when they are desperate.
>> It's unlikely to happen I agree however it's hardly impossible to happen. People do all
>> sorts of things for money especially when they are desperate.

Cash for crash is usually pre-meditated organised crime. It grew on back of an insurance culture that settled 'straightforward' cases without too much investigation. Even with relatively open and shut claims payment takes time.

It's not an easy option for the desperate.
 Damages Award - bathtub tom
>>step in front of a bike doing that speed and you are likely to end up with a broken leg or hip, and that's before the brake levers, pedals and chainring tear into you

A guy stepped off a bus and walked out in front of it, just as I was coming past on a motorbike. He stepped straight into my left handlebar a moment after I saw him. I braked and pulled in the clutch - squeezing his gonads. I didn't knock him down and was going slow enough to stop almost immediately.
When he was able to speak again, he admitted he didn't look and thanked me for avoiding causing more serious injury................................................................
 Damages Award - John Boy
news.sky.com/story/public-raises-36k-for-cyclist-penalised-for-hitting-woman-on-phone-11746798
Latest Forum Posts