But February made me shiver
With every paper I'd deliver
Bad news on the doorstep
I couldn't take one more step

I can't remember if I cried
When I read about his widowed bride
Something touched me deep inside
The day the music died

The day the music died was 60 years ago today. 3rd February 1959.

A light plane crash at Mason City Iowa killed Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and JP (Jiles Perry) Richardson aka The Big Bopper. Holly was probably the best known and was somebody who's music was on my record player in the seventies. The other two both had big hits, Valens with La Bamba and Richardson with Chantilly Lace, two more that feature with Holly's Peggy Sue and Learning the Game in the all time hit list on my MP.

Any other fans in here?
 The Day the Music Died - CGNorwich
Never get in a plane with a musician. Apart from the three you mention

Glenn Miller
Ricky Nelson
Patsy Cline
John Denver
Otis Reading

All died in plane crashes
 The Day the Music Died - smokie
I reckon there's more risk going in a plane with a pilot, nearly all crashes have at least one of them! :-)

Re the music - not really my favourite style but better than modern stuff. I'd say my favourite music is blues (which does include some old stuff) closely followed by rock.
 The Day the Music Died - Zero
>> Never get in a plane with a musician. Apart from the three you mention
>>
>> Glenn Miller
>> Ricky Nelson
>> Patsy Cline
>> John Denver
>> Otis Reading
>>
>> All died in plane crashes

I explored the site of Glen Millers last airfield concert, - Kings Cliffe.

The highest risk factor by crash numbers is Politicians and Sports stars.
 The Day the Music Died - Bromptonaut
>> The highest risk factor by crash numbers is Politicians and Sports stars.

Yep, significant similarity between Emiliano Sala and the Holly crash.

In both cases neither aircraft nor pilot were good enough for mission.
 The Day the Music Died - Boxsterboy
>>
>> Glenn Miller
>>
>> All died in plane crashes
>>

I thought Glenn Millers plane went missing over the Channel and was never found, so one cannot conclusively say "died in a plane crash"?

Yes, he might have been abducted by aliens. :-)
>> Yes, he might have been abducted by aliens. :-)

Which of course is one of the proffered theories, tho what aliens would want with a moonlight serenade is beyond me.

Pity the channel tunnel wasn't built, he could have caught the Chattanooga cho cho to tuxedo junction.
"Vincent" was his best song.
To be honest, I think the song about the music dying was better than the music that died.
 The Day the Music Died - R.P.
Saw the West End show "Buddy" twice. Superb music.
 The Day the Music Died - zippy
Saw Don Mclean last year "in concert".

A really good show. He played his classics and songs from other artists that gave him his inspiration with chat also.

Had us "bopping" in the isles.
 The Day the Music Died - R.P.
I've not seen him, but Mrs RP has, reported he was disappointing - he was being interviewed on R4's Mastertapes few weeks ago. I really looked forward to this and was very disappointed by his interview...came across as a bit arrogant.
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06w9p1q
 The Day the Music Died - No FM2R
RTE about 4 years ago.

The interviewer is very annoying and McLean's singing isn't all that. Interesting though.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHJH-NQnyrc
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 3 Feb 19 at 19:33
 The Day the Music Died - helicopter
Flew back from Crete with a guy called Tommy Allsup a few years ago , the guy who tossed the coin with Richie Vallens for a seat on the plane that crashed.

I was told his story by one of his band mates who was sitting next to me as we were landing through a violent thunderstorm.

youtu.be/4r4_8pjJPxo.
 The Day the Music Died - MD
The music was the best. However my all time fav' was Eddie Cochran. Twenty flight rock being bopping perfection.
 The Day the Music Died - Fenlander
American Pie is not exactly my taste but one of those pivotal place/time songs. Girlfriend's sitting room with Fidelity record player.... girlfriend's parents kind enough to sit in the kitchen so we could listen to music and chat. Lift home in a P5 Rover coupe.
3.5 OR 3.0?
size matters
 The Day the Music Died - Fenlander
The earlier 3.0l... it was unassuming grey with red leather. Great old car to be whooshed about in for that time (well before I was driving).

When in my 20s I was running a P6 V8 I test drove a P5B V8 99% determined to buy from forecourt appeal... but it was such a barge about town after the P6 I retreated swiftly.

Size never came up as an issue... her dad was a ruddy great farmer who would have fed an errant lad to his pigs without a second thought.
 The Day the Music Died - Kevin
Memories!

A P5B saloon was the first car that I travelled in at over 100mph. On the way back from dropping a couple of friends off at the airport my dad casually said "You're now doing over 100mph." That was the following week's school bragging rights sorted.

It was a lovely car with seat backs that must have been 4 or 5 inches thick.

It was replaced with a P6 3500S that blew the diff on the motorway and shortly after that needed a new gearbox. Needless to say, it didn't stay long.
You’re regenerating happy memories here. P6. Manual or Auto’ I care not.

I also borrowed a V8 SDI for a holiday once. Gave it the beans for a Week. Happy happy simple times.
 The Day the Music Died - commerdriver
>> I also borrowed a V8 SDI for a holiday once. Gave it the beans for
>> a Week. Happy happy simple times.
>>
Gave one of these away in 2007, relative of my wife's who had died. 1983 model structurally solid but hadn't run for a couple of years, needed a little TLC but was fairly solid. Wife & sisters didn't want the hassle of doing anything else with it and certainly not spending anything on it so away it went to a mate of my older son.

Latest Forum Posts