Non-motoring > Mingebag Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 14

Mingebag - Bromptonaut
So there's a bit of controversy over a character in Coronation Street who calls her husband a mingebag after a demonstration of his being tight with his money.

www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/shortcuts/2019/feb/27/what-coronation-streets-mingebag-jibe-tells-us-about-the-north-south-divide

The subheading says It just means ‘tight with your money’, doesn’t it? Not if you’re from south of Weatherfield

Now I'd always imagined Weatherfield to be part of Greater Manchester and I'm from Leeds so some way north of Weatherfield. Never heard it with suffix bag but to me 'minge' was always slang for female genitalia, not as crude as the 'c bomb' but equally not a word you'd use in front of your Mother.

What does the panel think?
 Mingebag - Rudedog
Yep diffo means the lady parts, it's been around for yonks and can't believe it could mean anything else.
 Mingebag - Zero
I've heard it used, seem to recall no connection or context with t'north, so it must be in general or mixed use. Wasn't used to mean "tight", just a general jesty insult.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 27 Feb 19 at 21:24
 Mingebag - No FM2R
>>:What does the panel think?

1) That it meant female pubic hair
2) That I can't believe what people can be a***d to get offended about these days
3) That this didn't really ought to be National Newspaper news.

It's never been a word that I've particularly noticed being used, certainly not commonly. So I'd assume it's not in common usage in South Wales or Berkshire/Oxfordshire.

Or at least wasn't back in the day.

Also never heard it with 'bag'.
 Mingebag - sooty123
Milder version of c***, never heard of it in relation to being tight or with the word bag.

Perhaps it's a manc word?
 Mingebag - sooty123
Just read the article, looks he's plugging a book.
 Mingebag - henry k
>>It's never been a word that I've particularly noticed being used, certainly not commonly. So I'd assume it's not in common usage in South Wales or Berkshire/Oxfordshire.
>>Or at least wasn't back in the day.
Also never heard it with 'bag'.
>>
I would agree. Not in use in Middlesex .

>>Milder version of c***,
I would agree for Middlesex

>> never heard of it in relation to being tight or with the word bag.
In Middlesex I have never heard it with bag
It was in use in my youth as Mingey ( like mingy) meaning a tightwad.

Mingebag - Kevin
Where I was dragged up in Yorkshire 'minge' was always schoolboy slang for a girls pubic hair, not specifically her genitals. A 'minger' was slang for a girl you thought was unattractive or easy.
 Mingebag - bathtub tom
A daughter of mine got married one Christmas. Someone mentioned the bridesmaids would be freezing during photographs. I innocently suggested they could have muffs and if their hands got cold they could put them in their muffs.
It obviously has a whole new meaning.
 Mingebag - Duncan
A lady's front bottom.
 Mingebag - Lygonos
Minge = female pubes

aka Mapatasi in Australia (Map-of-Tasmania due to the triangular shape)

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=minge

As per NoFM2R above.

Mingebag on the other hand is a Scouse term for a tightwad

www.collinsdictionary.com/submission/589/mingebag
Last edited by: Lygonos on Wed 27 Feb 19 at 23:08
 Mingebag - legacylad
And if something is said to be ‘minging’ it means it is most unpleasant I believe
 Mingebag - MD
A bit like Coronation Street.
 Mingebag - Robbie34
Mingey was common parlance in Lancashire in my youth. It meant someone who was mean or tight. Mingebag would mean the same.
 Mingebag - Bromptonaut
>> Where I was dragged up in Yorkshire 'minge' was always schoolboy slang for a girls
>> pubic hair, not specifically her genitals.

In my part of Yorkshire, unless my memory is playing tricks it meant same as fanny or c-word. Some wag came up with term minge-fringe for pubic hair.

Slang can be very localised. Remember one of our teachers using a particular word and asking those who recognised it to raise their hands. He then asked which feeder primary they went to; all had been at same one.
Latest Forum Posts