Non-motoring > Faulty W.C. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 5

Faulty W.C. - MD
I supplied and fitted a new Pan and cistern to a client and the pan leaked through a fault in the manufacturing process. This would only be noticed when it was fitted as the leak was small, but nevertheless it leaked. I’m returning it for credit and supplying another. As well as the obvious credit for the faulty item am I entitled to charge my costs for rectifying the position? Not fit for purpose etc.

Regards, MD.
 Faulty W.C. - Clk Sec
>> As well as the obvious credit for the faulty item am
>> I entitled to charge my costs for rectifying the position?

I would think so.

We replaced all our internal doors some years ago and we got a local chippy in to hang them. However, several months later we discovered a fault in just one of the doors, and the retailer was happy to refund the additional costs that we incurred for its replacement.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Fri 8 Mar 19 at 07:03
 Faulty W.C. - R.P.
Yes.
 Faulty W.C. - Dulwich Estate II
In a previous life when running a building repair company, pretty much the final job on any contract was papering the walls. On more than one occasion we found the wallpaper faulty only after it had been hanged - this was of course after ensuring the batch numbers were identical. Without much argument the manufacturers always refunded the paper price and made a gesture towards the stripping and re-hanging cost.

But, if I remember correctly, it didn't even cover the actual labour cost let alone any consequential losses.
 Faulty W.C. - No FM2R
Nobody, just nobody, will make a voluntary contribution to Con Loss, it opens scary doors.

They ought to make a substantial contribution to the labour costs though.
 Faulty W.C. - MD
Well I contacted Trading Standards to make sure my position was sound. Apparently not!

It seems that trade to trade, as opposed to trade to private customer transactions have different rules where T and C’s are concerned.

The T and C where my supplier states that faulty goods will only be compensated at the value of the item is not deemed unfair in a trade to trade sale. However it would be deemed to be unfair in a private sale. Beats me.

They offered me £50.00 though which I have taken. Trading standards also said that that offer was not an admission of guilt.
Latest Forum Posts