Non-motoring > Jails must be full... again Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Lygonos Replies: 17

Jails must be full... again - Lygonos

Driver hits and kills a pedestrian, tells the cops the pedestrian tripped and was run over by the car behind her after she managed to swerve and avoid the victim.

Other car driver was initially suspected.

CCTV from a nearby house however showed the original driver hit and killed the pedestrian.

You're the judge! - guess the sentence then click the link.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-47545937
 Jails must be full... again - Falkirk Bairn
Prisons are full - if you do not count the odd empty wing - no budget & a shortage of experienced staff. Experienced staff left / "made redundant" as old hands were expensive - private prisons with new cheaper staff.

Solution to full prisons - nobody can be sentenced to less than 12 months - with the odd exception.

In my local paper Drink Driver - 3rd offence gets community service & a fine.

Known young tearaway - drink, drugs, police assault before he was 18 - @ 20 yrs old found with IIRC £5,000 drugs & £2,000 got a freshly decorated council flat, new furniture & white goods.
 Jails must be full... again - Bromptonaut
If it was straightforward death by careless driving then the non-custodial sentence might be appropriate.

Why was the lying and blaming of others not charged separately as attempting to pervert course of justice or the equivalent t in Scots law?
Dunno Bromp.

I think Scotland has pretty much the same scales for DBCD and DBDD as England.

www.roadtrafficlaw.com/services/death-by-careless-driving

Bigger penalty for taking points from you husband and lying about it....

Not lying in court is likely the difference I suppose.
 Jails must be full... again - Falkirk Bairn
They are knocking down the Scottish women's prison.

There will be several small prison wings for some but the rule is in reality no prison sentences for women except murder etc
 Jails must be full... again - zippy
There is another way.

With us leaving the EU we have a change of re-introducing the death penalty.

Of course, don't restrict it to murder. Any crime upwards of stealing £5 should incur the death penalty.

The country will save a fortune!

For anything less, transportation to the colonies is a must.

Yours faithfully,

Jacob Rees Mogg.
Last edited by: zippy on Tue 12 Mar 19 at 22:48
 Jails must be full... again - Bobby
JRM,

We will be left with no politicians

Yours sincerely

A Voter
To be fair to JRM he is against capital punishment.

He's still a fud though.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Wed 13 Mar 19 at 22:15
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-47627929

3yr 9mth - I'd be disappointed if this fud had attacked me.
 Jails must be full... again - smokie
Yup. This bit "Multiple 999 calls were made asking for the police to attend." reminds me of tales from my daughter, who called the police for assistance when a few of the patients kicked off at the same time on a secure mental health ward on which she worked, and the police refused to attend.

They did apologise the next day but really by then it was a bit late... the place was half trashed and some staff were quite traumatised. I believe the police thought they had strong arm security there, not just nurses (which is true of all mental wards AFAIK, incl Broadmoor, where she did a placement while qualifying)
Key phrase in that report may be:

Dundee Sheriff Court was told Gibson had attempted to speak to his mental health support team but was told no one was available.

If he's hearing voices or suffering some other terrors jail's probably not a deterrent.

Entitled thugs are a different kettle of fish.
 Jails must be full... again - bathtub tom
I wonder if medical facilities attract the murkier end of the gene pool. I've been visiting a patient in hospital recently and certainly wouldn't want most of the other patients as friends.

A news story reports that half the tablets (i-pads) at Milton Keynes children's ward have been stolen or vandalised, but perhaps that's normal for that place.
Eldest is currently a junior doctor coming to the end of a three month stint on a secure mental health unit.

She carries around a personal alarm and a set of keys. She wants pepper spray but has been told in no uncertain terms that it is illegal.

There is minimal security and some of the "patients" are killers and paedophiles. She is convinced, as are other doctors, that some of the serious patients are "faking it" and belong in prison but senior consultants think otherwise.

There are a few male patients that she refuses to see alone. There are many female ones. Her (admittedly limited) opinion is that they are far nastier then the males.

There have been some nasty incidents at the unit.
Here's another odd decision:

Let of jail because she hasn't got balls apparently.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/04/12/drink-driver-spared-jail-given-another-chance-judge-woman/

Unacceptable gender tripe from the judge.

Whether deferring sentence etc is appropriate should have no bearing.

In my relatively limited experience a small majority of first time DDers have a drink problem. The others made a poor judgement.

The vast majority (all of those I have met) of those caught a second (or subsequent) time do.

It needs addressed.

But dangerous driving can't become trivialised due to drink and drugs

I expect she'll get a 10yr ban?
>> Here's another odd decision:
>>
>> Let of jail because she hasn't got balls apparently.

The Telegraph report reads oddly because it seems to cover more than one hearing. I'm puzzled particularly by the words I want to see whether you can really address the issues rather than paying lip service. If you succeed, I will not make the custody immediate. If you don't comply, I will conclude that you are not worthy of the chance.. That suggests to me that original sentence was adjourned to see if Ms Parry could address her drinking and get her life in some sort of order.

Report here from Birmingham Mail adds a bit more detail:

www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/judge-tells-banned-drink-driver-16118933

I guess Judge was trying to differentiate a man's possibly aggressive drunk driving and position of this woman who has only recently escaped an abusive relationship and appears to drink to self medicate. She has a job and is making attempts to come off drink. In that circumstance and if she's succeeding is jailing her going to achieve anything?

Same though could be said for some male serial drink drivers.

I suspect, if words reported are not being quoted out of context, Judge Buckingham may be headed for a 'no tea and biscuits' interview with the Presiding Judge......
Report on radio this morning says Judicial Conduct Investigations Office are looking into it.

These decisions take a while but I suspect, if circs are as quoted in Telegraph, 'advice' will be offered.
That didn’t take long...

Priti Patel, the new Home Secretary thinks the death penalty is a good thing....

youtu.be/_5aodBfdFTA
Latest Forum Posts