Non-motoring > Online bank Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 16

Online bank - MD
I've just received the news that the Post office is closing its current accounts which is a faff. The app worked well and seamlessly. Can anyone recommend an alternative online only. I'd rather keep away from the big mobs. Its just for small fry internet purchases etc.
 Online bank - Zero
Just move it to the bank of ireland uk, as that is who the PO account is with, everything should appear very similar when you move. Hopefully there should be less chance of screwing anything up too.
 Online bank - MD
Doh! Youm right again my dear!
 Online bank - Robbie34
Metro Bank is fine. www.metrobankonline.co.uk/
 Online bank - smokie
...or go for one of the new online-only "banks", which come with the usual account stuff you need (card, sort code, IBAN etc). I have Revolut, N26, Monzo and another which I forget. They are prepay so no chance of any major fraud on your account, and you can usually disable features on the account if you don;t want to use them, and enable them instantly if you do. E,,g, mag srteip readiang, online transactions, ATMs. Also most have location based security, and give you really good exchange rates when travelling, with no commission. Accounts are free and take a really short time to set up.
 Online bank - Zero
Metro Bank is having a few regulatory and profit issues at the moment.
 Online bank - Robbie34
>> Metro Bank is having a few regulatory and profit issues at the moment.

From City Wire:
After Bloomberg first reported the cash call on Tuesday afternoon, Metro Bank rushed out confirmation and full-year results late that day. The shares have tumbled 38% since the news broke.

Metro Bank’s rights issue was triggered by an accounting error last month, with the bank finding it was more exposed to higher-risk mortgages than its loan book showed.
 Online bank - R.P.
Smile - been with them since they started back in 2000. They're fine. Good UK based call-centres should you need them. They proved very good in a personal crisis in 2009. Never, ever had problems with them. You can pay in at the PO as well.
 Online bank - MD
Hi Rob, yep I now recall you mentioning them some years ago singing their praises. Thank you.
 Online bank - MD
So much for Smile. The online application would not accept my address. Eventually I managed to speak to somebody who told me that their system automatically takes out punctuation (I punctuate EVERYTHING even texts). Then he told me to try it without punctuation (what!). I tried thrice more whilst ‘Brains’ was on the phone. It didn’t work. He did not offer me another or manual alternative. Very disappointed.
 Online bank - Bromptonaut
>> So much for Smile. The online application would not accept my address.

Weird!!

Can sort of understand it removing say a comma between door number and road name and that perhaps it helps when identifying duplicate addresses. But if you live in say Besses o' th' Barn it get's nonesensical.
 Online bank - No FM2R
I told you Y.M.C.A. wouldn't work, Martin.
 Online bank - zippy
If you want to earn some cash, try Royal Bank of Scotland as they are offering £175 to switch to them.

Might pay for a pint or three.
 Online bank - Zero
DO NOT BY ANY MEANS GO ANYWHERE NEAR RBOS (or Nat West)
 Online bank - Dulwich Estate II
I've been using a Metro bank account mainly for European travel and mainly for the top notch exchange rates. Many years on and I'm more than happy with it.

For further afield I've just opened a Starling account and so far reckon it's brilliant. The phone app gives you an update on your spend within seconds - there seem to be many other monitoring options too, but I couldn't be bothered with / don't need those.

The card turned up 48 hours after I opened the account. A recommendation.
Last edited by: Dulwich Estate II on Thu 25 Apr 19 at 18:57
 Online bank - smokie
Agreed, Starling is the one I couldn't remember above. Seem OK so far but I don't use them much.
 Online bank - zippy
I got good customer service from Barclays when my chip and pin card died and I was away from home. I use it as my firewall account and transfer spending money to the account from my main bank account with another bank.

Popped in to a branch and they produced a duplicate card in the time it took me to drink the cup of coffee offered whilst I waited. Not a major customer, only a £100 or so a month goes in to the account but there was a bit of cash on it at the time for incidentals.

I got the impression that no one had asked to use that service before at that branch and there was a little bit of faffing whilst they got hold of someone who knew how to do it.
Latest Forum Posts