Non-motoring > Dropping a kerb Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 13

Dropping a kerb - Bobby
We have a dropped kerb at our driveway. Standard tarmac pavement.

We are thinking of extending the driveway width wise so would "need" to drop more of the pavement.

Council website advises I need to pay for a road opening permit of £260 and then the cost of whatever contractor I can find to do the job that meets the council's requirements.

Anyone had this done and know relative costs - will probably be around 3m in length extending an existing dropped kerb.

Or should I just go with a lump of wood beside the kerb? House is in a housing estate so not main road etc.
 Dropping a kerb - bathtub tom
Daughter paid for a dropped kerb that included a very narrow access to rear of her property. We're talking pre-WW2.
Neighbour decided that would give good access to their property and uses it!
What do you think their reaction was when she asked them a contribution?
 Dropping a kerb - sherlock47
Be warned that a contractor needs to meet the third party insurance coverage requirements for the local authority for working on a highway. 20 years ago the cover required was greatly in excess of the cover held by most builders. It was cheaper to get the council to do the work.

Some local authorities may be more demanding than others at looking into the Building Regs requirements for the increased area of hardstanding and the effective reduction in the on street parking capacity. Some areas have banned the continued parking in the front gardens of properties where the dropped kerbs have been carried out without correct permissions. (with the threat of prosecution).
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Sat 30 Mar 19 at 08:13
 Dropping a kerb - R.P.
They have been enforcing in some areas.
 Dropping a kerb - slowdown avenue
some 15years back ,where i'am living now .I researched this as you to enlarge existing drop kerb by a metre. seemed I met all requirements. I had the man from the council come round to, ok it. he popped in ,looked at it and said theirs to much dropped kerb in this near area already . so NO you can't have it. that's £90 PLEASE PAYABLE NOW. and whoosh he was gone.
 Dropping a kerb - four wheels good...
About 8 years ago we applied for change of use for our property - from commercial to domestic. As we had three dropped kerbs we were told we could only have one as was the council's policy for domestic properties.

After much discussion we were allowed to keep two but reduce the parking area to accommodate just two cars from room for six!

More discussion, we now have room for four cars and two dropped kerbs. We had to apply to the Highways Agency for permission (known here as Permission to Dig) to reinstate the now redundant dropped kerb to be a normal walkway and apply to the council for planning permission even though they had told us we had to do the work. We had to use a Highways approved contractor to carry out the work.

All of this cost us many 100s of pounds.

To add to the pain we had to have a rates assessor visit the property to change from commercial to domestic. She came from another county an hours drive away so cost us another large bill though she said she could have done it over the phone but our council insisted on her visit.

Dropping a kerb - Bobby
As a follow up to this - not going down the dropped kerb as it is just far too expensive. And, out on a walk recently round my neighbourhood, there seems to be an abundance of home made ramps to kerbs so I am guessing the council aren't enforcing them.

If I had to consider doing a concrete ramp to the kerb, I would like to allow the rainwater to drain through it to a close drainer.

What would be the best item to use as a "pipe" at the kerb edge to let the rainwater run through? I am guessing a standard plastic upvc pipe would just shatter with the weight of the concrete (and vehicle) going over the top. As kerb height is around 10cm I am probably only wanting a drainage channel of around 5cm max? Any suggestions - standard hosepipe would be too narrow?

Other alternative is to buy ramps from ebay that are about £30 a pair but I would need ones that could be screwed down otherwise they may go walkies!
 Dropping a kerb - henry k
A length of angle iron. Fit it with one side vertical and the other side parallel with the road.
Support it with a length of hose or wood while the concrete sets
 Dropping a kerb - Lygonos
Plenty of crap looking dropped kerbs near where my old man lives.

Including idiots who feel the need to have a double width entry to their mansions.

eg tinyurl.com/y59gwu5o
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 16 Jul 19 at 02:24
 Dropping a kerb - Bobby
Surely if they have two or more cars then that’s sensible?
Maybe they are electric :)
 Dropping a kerb - henry k
Most folks in my area seem to just drive over the kerb. Not a problem in a company large 4 X 4.
 Dropping a kerb - Dulwich Estate II
You want a scaffold tube mate !
 Dropping a kerb - sooty123
>> Plenty of crap looking dropped kerbs near where my old man lives.
>>
>> Including idiots who feel the need to have a double width entry to their mansions.
>>
>>
>> eg tinyurl.com/y59gwu5o

Why are they idiots?
 Dropping a kerb - Falkirk Bairn
Around my part of the world the council are re-roofing/insulating & new driveways for older council houses.

Dropped kerbs abound - this is to keep the roads passable as parking on road down both sides limits traffic flow. That's the good news - 1 car per house on the new driveway but not used that much as people still park on the road & block the car in - hence everyone parks on the road even although dropped kerbs & new driveways.

Village nearby had lots of their grassed areas covered with tarmac - new parking areas which are rarely used.

Tenants still park in the road outside their house as they can keep their eye for thieves & vandals & there are a lot of them in that place!.
Latest Forum Posts