Non-motoring > "Grouting" a garden table Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 6

"Grouting" a garden table - smokie
I got a bargain table and chairs a few years back from Costco.

Well it wasn't initially a bargain, slightly under £1k IIRC, but the top started deforming within a couple of months, and they were going to replace it but the logistics seemed tyoo challenging for them so they gave me a full refund :-)

The table top is formed of tiles like in this picture tinyurl.com/y38fet2a , and some tiles had come unstuck and started to lift. I suppose once a bit of water got under them it accelerated it happening, and this year on uncovering the table about a third of the tiles are loose.

SWMBO would have been happy to live with it but I decided it's time to do something about it, so I got a tube of Gorilla glue and stuck down the offending tiles, after cleaning under them thoroughly.

Anyway the job's a good 'un already but does anyone have suggestions about what to use to grout them? It's a very dark grey, almost black. I know it won't match but once it's weathered I'm hoping it won't be too obvious. I believe you can get coloured grout but I'm not really sure if that's even the right stuff, and I doubt I could get anywhere near the colour.

Thanks in advance!
 "Grouting" a garden table - CGNorwich
Mosaic grout

tinyurl.com/y3r6mqk9
Thanks, that looks promising.
How much do you reckon I'd need to go round about 6 tiles?
 "Grouting" a garden table - CGNorwich
I would have thought the 200g bag would suffiice.
 "Grouting" a garden table - Duncan
>> I got a bargain table and chairs a few years back from Costco.

Thread drift alert!!

I got a bargain garden table, chairs, parasol and cushions from a H*rry Wh**tcr*ft garden centre three or four years ago.

A couple of months after purchase they phoned and asked me if I was happy with the table and chairs, I said yes and they said, "well, you can have a refund if you are not happy". I said, no, it's ok.

A couple of weeks later they phoned again to ask if I was still happy, because some people have complained of rusting! They then went on to say, I could send it back and have a full refund, or, if I wanted I could keep the table, chairs, parasol and cushions and have a full refund anyway!

I opted to have a full refund and keep the aforesaid table etc etc. Did I do the right thing?

Incidentally, now that Lady Duncan has joined the iPhone set (very happy with it) she has started complaining about the table and chairs. Too big she says!

"Grouting" a garden table - Dulwich Estate II
>>I got a bargain table and chairs a few years back from Costco.

I got a bargain table and chairs a few (10) years back from eBay. Second hand cast iron and hardwood. I've oiled it a couple of times and keep a cover over it in winter which I took off today.

It still looks as good as the day I got it - it cost me £20.

Last edited by: Dulwich Estate II on Fri 19 Apr 19 at 20:46
Latest Forum Posts