Non-motoring > Cruise to St, Petersburg. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 7

Cruise to St, Petersburg. - MD
I have relatives who don’t use the net who are going on a Baltic cruise taking in Tallin and St. Petersburg in early July. Have any of you done the same as they want to know what weather and therefore clothing to take. Thanks.
 Cruise to St, Petersburg. - R.P.
Reliable as they'll get
www.accuweather.com/en/ee/tallinn/127964/july-weather/127964
 Cruise to St, Petersburg. - CGNorwich
The cruise company should be able to give an idea what to expect. I have been to St Petersburg in June and it was cold and wet but it can get very warm. I would anticipate anything from around 15c to 25c with a fair bit of wet and cold. Likely to be quite chilly at sea I would think.
 Cruise to St, Petersburg. - martin aston
We did a Baltic cruise a few years ago in July. The weather was generally very pleasant. Its a bit like a more reliable good English summer. In 12 days we got a couple of showery days where a light waterproof and a sweater were called for but also a fair amount of low 20's and long hours of sunshine. As CGN says, we got up to mid 20's.

We have done a lot of cruises over the years, including twice further north in Norway. One of the things we always notice is that, at sea, the onboard temperature defies the thermometer. Its usually easy to find a suntrap, as long as you don't want to be poolside, and even at 15c its hot enough to bask in shelter. The clear air maybe helps.

Failing that cruise ships are well provided with bars, lounges, covered terraces etc so that the odd day when the open deck is wet or chilly is not an issue.

Overall we prefer things not be too hot and like to walk around onshore in comfort and in that respect the Baltic in summer is a better bet than the Med which can be searingly hot.

Cruise to St, Petersburg. - Duncan
When I went it was Autumn. still pretty cold early morning and late evening.
 Cruise to St, Petersburg. - movilogo
I did this route last year in early August.

I boarded cruise from Helsinki and landed on St Petersburg [SPB]. Spent there 2.5 days visa free and then took the cruise ship to Tallinn.

This is the only way to visit Russia without a visa. You are limited to 72 hours only via this route.

There is too much to see in SPB and 3 days is not enough to see all. The State Hermitage museum can be done in half day if you plan which rooms you want to visit. Peterhof gardens take 1 full day.

Weather was hot. Carry a lightweight windcheater in case it rains.
 Cruise to St, Petersburg. - Lygonos
Tallinn is lovely - well worth the not-too-intense uphill walk to the top of the city.
 Cruise to St, Petersburg. - MD
Thanks to all.
Latest Forum Posts