Non-motoring > A roofing question Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 17

A roofing question - bathtub tom
I live in a semi and my neighbour's got a leak in their roof. I suspect they've a cracked tile which has been leaking for years, causing rot in the battens and felt.
They're having all the tiles removed and all the battens and felt replaced, front and back, because, according to the roofer they've employed 'they're all rotten'.
I'm told an additional row of tiles will be added, presumably to give a greater overlap.
It's a Wimpey house built in the mid '60s with concrete tiles. The roofing felt appears to be a sort of bitumised cotton.

Can anyone tell me how this is likely to affect me, particularly at the boundary of the roof?
 A roofing question - Ambo
Did you neighbour get a second estimate/opinion? Did they see all the allegedly rotten materials? Is the contractor a member of the National Federation of Roofing Contractors? I can't see how one cracked tile needs an entire replacement. In any case, the crack would probably have been visible from the ground, maybe using binoculars. Where is this extra row of tiles?

It all seems very odd but I doubt you have anything to worry about but a close inspection of your own attic should reveal any problem.

A roofing question - henry k
>>They're having all the tiles removed and all the battens and felt replaced, front and back, >>because, according to the roofer they've employed 'they're all rotten'.

It smacks of looking for work, get some proper assessment.
 A roofing question - Bromptonaut
Are you living in a property like this?

goo.gl/maps/y5GRTBAHWd6bwbi86

Example is local to me but it's similar vintage to yours and was put up Wimpey, Colroy or some similar large developer/builder.

Would agree with others that neighbour should have chosen a roofer with reputation and membership of relevant trade body and also sought a second/third opinion.

Is the need for an extra row of tiles telling us anything? Is there a known or suspected issue on this development where sub-optimal spacing of tiles has allowed water into void between tiles and felt? I guess water could run down there for a long time before breakdown of felt allows leak into roofspace.

Are you sure your own battens and felt are OK?

As the houses round here turn 50 I'm pretty sure generic deficiencies in building and internal fitting are showing up. When we lived in one of them we had problems with condensation/black mould in corners of rooms etc. While we had draughty wooden windows ventilation was adequate. Hermetically seal it with UPVC and add two kids and you've a problem.
 A roofing question - Dulwich Estate II
"Can anyone tell me how this is likely to affect me, particularly at the boundary of the roof? "

If he uses the same style of tile as on your house they should simply slot in to yours on the party wall and all should be well.

However, where is this extra row going ? Will it get their tiles out of sync with yours ?

If you have a chimney check that the lead / zinc / mortar flashing is correctly put back too. If you have metal flashing then don't accept mortar in lieu either.

Also, if he uses different tiles you might get a bodge flashing connection along the whole length of the party wall. I'd suggest your neighbour holds back some money until a properly qualified/experienced person can look at the junction.

A roofing question - bathtub tom
>>Are you living in a property like this?
>>goo.gl/maps/y5GRTBAHWd6bwbi86

Very similar.

I'm surprised they're having the whole roof done, but I guess that's up to them.

As far as I can tell, my side of the roof is fine. I had the guttering replaced some years ago and the felt at the bottom of the slope had rotted. That was replaced with a modern plastic material.

Checking the felt from the loft space looks fine, but of course I can't see the battens.

I understand when the tiles are replaced the battens will be closer together, to modern standards, resulting in a greater overlap of the tiles, hence an extra row of tiles compared to my side.

I intend having my roof independently inspected when the work's finished. Who knows how many of my tiles could end up being cracked as a result of the work.
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Sat 27 Apr 19 at 14:29
 A roofing question - MD
Firstly you’re slagging this bloke off too soon. Calm down. You ‘may’ be correct, but not necessarily so.

Can you tell me the pitch of the roof or send me a pic/s via the mods. Height above sea level and any other exposure issues.

One doesn’t have to be a member of a ‘pay to join’ trade association to be competent. The subject of which you speak is right in my target zone so if you want any help or advice then I am happy to help.
 A roofing question - MD
Ok. I’ve just looked at the pic put up by Bromp. Your man has a clear point about the introduction of an additional row of tiles, but that comes with issues on a semi. I’m currently between falling asleep and grand children duties so I’ll post more fully in the morning when I’ve access to a proper keyboard. Night night.
 A roofing question - R.P.
MD, Just forwarded an e-mail to you. It comes from Bathtub. It'll show as having come from "Alfie"
 A roofing question - No FM2R
What's it all about?
 A roofing question - MD
I'm on it. Thanks chaps.
 A roofing question - CGNorwich

Is it just for the moment we live?
What's it all about when you sort it out, Alfie?
Yes indeed.
 A roofing question - VxFan
>> What's it all about?

Some bloke chucking spears I think.
 A roofing question - legacylad
You mean ‘asparagus Alfie’ ?
BT - MD's e-mail landed in my account. Not sure whether it's gone to yours so I've forwarded it to you anyway.

Rob (AKA Alfie)
 A roofing question - MD
Don't know what happened there Rob. Thank you anyway.
It might have gone. New fangled e-mail client thingy.
Latest Forum Posts