Non-motoring > Seats at the theatre Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 11

Seats at the theatre - zippy
Booked some higher priced tickets (these were the only ones available as I booked late) to see a crooner at the local theatre yesterday and due to being late from work got there 5 minutes before the start.

The usher took us to our seats and found someone else in them. "Oh we thought they were spare they said", then complained that the show was about to start and it would be quicker if we moved to their seats!!!!! No apologies. Their tickets were for seats a good £30 cheaper each.

I also regularly find people in my reserved seats on trains (usually the starting station such as Euston or Kings Cross). It's usually accompanied by "sorry I didn't see the sign" or some other excuse and occasionally point blank refusal to move which on a packed train can be a right pain in the a*** and I have had to call the guard on occasion, to shift people.

What is it with people that they feel an entitlement to sit where they like!?
 Seats at the theatre - sooty123
I sit in reserved seats on trains, I don't use trains very often though. From my limited experience very few reserved seats are taken, never been asked to move or seen anyone hovering about. I'd only do it if the train is rammed mind.
 Seats at the theatre - No FM2R
>>then complained that the show was about to start and it would be quicker if we moved to their seats!!!

The nerve of people! I might take a seat that was better than mine if I thought it was spare, but I'd leap out of it if a flurry of embarrassment in the rightful possessor arrived.

As for the t***s on trains taking whichever seat they like, I've had that on an airplane. The person was so determined not to move, and that I should take their seat instead of sitting with my colleague, they were eventually removed from the plane.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 27 Apr 19 at 15:04
 Seats at the theatre - R.P.
I wouldn't be happy I have to be honest. When I was a steward at the local theatre where some big acts (especially on the comedy stand-up circuit) we were strict with people with empty reserved seats, not so much after the interval where we'd juggle people around into "better" seats if they were left untaken. Griff Rhys (Super Furry Animals) sat in a reserved seat one performance - he moved when asked politely !

I sit in reserved seats on trains if they're not taken at the originating stations (only if the only option is standing for a couple of hours).

Seats at the theatre - Bromptonaut
Long time since I was a regular long distance train traveller but it was pretty common knowledge back in the day that people booked seats on several KX-Leeds trains but only used one of them. If they were not occupied by New Barnet then it was a reasonable guess booker was not on board. Also the reserved tags used to say in small print where they were reserved from. If reserved from Grantham it was reasonable to occupy it until that stop by which time the train would be half empty anyway.

Daughter who has a pretty peripatetic role complains from time to time about people pinching her seat and then getting lairy about moving (or having to stand). Always found a way round though.
Agree with Virgin - airline type tickets only on mainline trains.
Just reminded of the scene on a very crowded train to London in February - there were around 13 of us heading off to Vietnam. On one stop (Stafford I think) one of our group was away from his reserved seat and it was taken by a guy who came on board....He moved pretty quickly when asked and given the Paddington Bear Stare, not sure whether it was the look or 6' 3" of bulked up biker though
>> Agree with Virgin - airline type tickets only on mainline trains.

Absolutely. And like airlines a fully flexible ticket should cost a great deal more.

The trouble is they'll have to actually have active staff on all trains.

Seats at the theatre - Zero
>> >> Agree with Virgin - airline type tickets only on mainline trains.
>>
>> Absolutely. And like airlines a fully flexible ticket should cost a great deal more.
And what happens when they cancel the train? or the train before is cancelled and you have a double train load of passengers.

Its marketing bullshine from Virgin trains, which at the end of the day is about all they offer.

They will be gone by year end anyway. Lost the franchise. Expect a very noisy death.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 27 Apr 19 at 17:54
The potential cost of coping with a scheduling disruption tends to cause a fairly significant shift in priorities and strategy.
 Seats at the theatre - zippy
My local train company's latest trick is to not stop at stations when they are running late.

The deliberately miss the stops with few passengers and then get them to travel back from the next, or in one instance 3 stations down the line (though it makes little difference to the overall delay unless you miss a passing train back).

They calculate that by doing this they trade fewer late fees as customers at the smaller stations are outnumbered by the ones getting off at the main station.

The fury the passengers have is palpable with some threatening to pull the emergency cord as the train approaches the abandoned stations.
 Seats at the theatre - Zero
>> My local train company's latest trick is to not stop at stations when they are
>> running late.
>>
>> The deliberately miss the stops with few passengers and then get them to travel back
>> from the next, or in one instance 3 stations down the line (though it makes
>> little difference to the overall delay unless you miss a passing train back).

Pfft that's nothing, my lot terminate trains short, throw all the passengers off then run it empty to the London terminus.

I have even been on one that has completely changed destination in BR days.
Latest Forum Posts