Non-motoring > Keep your cats under lock and key! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 29

Keep your cats under lock and key! - VxFan
Some people really have nothing much to worry about in life if all they can come up with is this.

"Pet cats should be banned from going outside to stop them from killing birds, the Conservation Officer for the Royal Parks in London has said."

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/04/28/pet-cats-should-banned-going-outside-protect-birds-says-royal/

Never read anything so daft in all my life.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 30 Apr 19 at 12:58
 Keep your cats under lock and key! - Bromptonaut
More power to his elbow. I'm sick and tired of chasing cats out of my garden to stop them massacring the songbirds I want to encourage. I'm even more fed up of them shi**ing in my front flowerbed though that seems to have stopped since the neighbour with the Burmese Herberts moved out.
 Keep your cats under lock and key! - R.P.
There a Mexican stand-off here between the dogs and the only neighbours' cats. In one unplanned skirmish one of the cats was chased up a wooden power transmission pole - it came down and now largely sticks to flicking the Vs from atop the boundary wall. My sister has three cats, two live in the house and one in a trailer. Odd creatures.
 Keep your cats under lock and key! - R.P.
www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/jul/16/australian-government-declares-war-on-feral-cats-in-bid-to-save-endangered-species

Australians aren't messing about.
 Keep your cats under lock and key! - sooty123
>> More power to his elbow. I'm sick and tired of chasing cats out of my
>> garden to stop them massacring the songbirds I want to encourage. I'm even more fed
>> up of them shi**ing in my front flowerbed though that seems to have stopped since
>> the neighbour with the Burmese Herberts moved out.
>>

One word, hosepipe.

Very effective I found, well that and a dog. I find them very effective, they don't come back for many return visits.
 Keep your cats under lock and key! - No FM2R
Get a sprinkler and a grip. You'll be fine and the 'massacre' will stop.

'Course, I'm luckier. Round my way the songbirds sit in trees which kind of defeats the cats.
>> Get a sprinkler and a grip. You'll be fine and the 'massacre' will stop.
>>
>> 'Course, I'm luckier. Round my way the songbirds sit in trees which kind of defeats
>> the cats.

Regret missing the UK Toys'R'Us closing down sale and opportunity to pick up a bargain pump up water gun.

Our songbirds, particularly those of Thrush family, sing from tree/rooftops too. Unfortunately they feed on the ground which plays right into the paws of the cats.......
I can see how you would think that more satisfying, but cats are fast.

A sprinkler sat in the middle of the lawn, particularly if it can be turned on quickly, quietly and remotely, will remain an object of suspicion for the cats at all times.

Don't forget, you don't have to turn your garden into Fort Knox, you just need to make it less attractive than other gardens.
 Keep your cats under lock and key! - CGNorwich
Take it one stage further and automate the operation.

tinyurl.com/yxsxjv6t

>> Some people really have nothing much to worry about in life if all they can
>> come up with is this.
>>
>> "Pet cats should be banned from going outside to stop them from killing birds, the
>> Conservation Officer for the Royal Parks in London has said."

>>
>> www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/04/28/pet-cats-should-banned-going-outside-protect-birds-says-royal/
>>
>> Never read anything so daft in all my life.

Replace cats with dogs and I'm sure some would think it the best thing since sliced bread.

I'm sure that they do contribute to the death of some birds in parks.
 Keep your cats under lock and key! - Lemma
I got fed up with the cat from the property behind us, a malevolent black and white monster, pooping in my vegetable plot. I got so fed up with it that I scraped up the residue and then launched it over the wall by way of revenge. I asked a neighbour if they had the same problem and they said “not since Marcus and his wife moved out three months previously”.

Not sure whose cat it is, but it seems it doesn’t live in the direction of the jettisoned poop. Oops. I now find a good spray of Jeyes fluid does a fair if not 100% job in masking the poop pong (so I am told) which in turn breaks the habit cycle.
Ha ha ha.

Just typical of how my cunning plans end up as well.
 Keep your cats under lock and key! - smokie
"Replace cats with dogs and I'm sure some would think it the best thing since sliced bread. "

Yep - at least strange cats don't come bounding up to you wanting to sniff you when you're out for a walk. I know it's not really the dog's fault... But many owners seem quite happy to let their dogs be a nuisance to others. I've said here before that my daughter has an unexplained fear of dogs, and can get quite traumatised by a close encounter, especially when one runs at her.
>> Replace cats with dogs and I'm sure some would think it the best thing since sliced bread.

I'd sooner have a cat than a dog any day of the week. At least cats tend to bury their tom tits and not leave them for people to tread in. Cats are generally quieter than dogs too, and a lot cleaner.
... and in my experience houses containing dogs often seem to smell quite strongly of dogs...

(I suppose that oughtn't be surprising but it's often not so pleasant!)

Keep your cats under lock and key! - Fenlander
>>>sooner have a cat than a dog any day of the week

>>> houses containing dogs often seem to smell quite strongly of dogs

Tis true dogs are harder work... but far more rewarding.

We only have breeds that don't smell of dog.... big difference.
Yea I do absolutely get why people have dogs, and in my earlier life I thought it might be nice to have one when I'm older. Never had a dog though, even when I was young, and I guess that's affected my perception.

But now I'm older I'm even finding my old cat a bit of a tie!! Having stopped work a few years back I want to travel for longer periods. Luckily I have a daughter who will house- and cat-sit but not forever...
> I'd sooner have a cat than a dog any day of the week. At least
>> cats tend to bury their tom tits and not leave them for people to tread
>> in. Cats are generally quieter than dogs too, and a lot cleaner.
>>

I've nearly always had a dog growing up and since leaving home, so I'm use to them I think nothing of them. Oddly enough we've never had a cat, I don't mind them as long as they don't come scratting the garden up. I wouldn't want one though, but plenty no doubt think that about dogs. Each to their own.
What do you do about any other wildlife which takes a dump in "your" piece of this earth? Do you not have foxes, rats or birds? :-)
>> What do you do about any other wildlife which takes a dump in "your" piece
>> of this earth? Do you not have foxes, rats or birds? :-)

Something, I suspect a fox, leaves its calling card on our front grass on a regular basis. I pick it up with a plastic bag in same way dog owners are meant to do. Other regular crapper is a Hedgehog but like rats and birds I disregard its deposits.

We've never had a dog, neither did either of our parents. Daughter's husband is from a family of dog lovers as is son's g/f. D has a lovely little show cocker who I'm quite happy to pet and might even dog sit. No desire for one of our own, too much hassle.
>> What do you do about any other wildlife which takes a dump in "your" piece
>> of this earth? Do you not have foxes, rats or birds? :-)
>>

No rats or foxes no. Bird poop not an issue.
 Keep your cats under lock and key! - Zero
I have to say my friendly adorable fluffy loving goldie is a bit of a feral hunter at this time of year.

She goes out of her way to find and savage moorhens, their nests, and any eggs or brood.

Its just pure spite on her behalf,
>> Bird poop not an issue.

You've obviously not seen or experienced what an owl can deposit then.
> You've obviously not seen or experienced what an owl can deposit then.
>>

Can't say I have no.
you are sitting on a goldmine. Good market for owl pellets.

tinyurl.com/y4g77z5o
 Keep your cats under lock and key! - bathtub tom
>>At least cats tend to bury their tom tits and not leave them for people to tread in.

My neighbours cats don't. I cured them of crapping on my garden path by sprinkling a strong solution of Jeyes fluid, but they just leave them on my grass. I shovel them up and dump them in a corner of my garden close to their back door, next to where they come out for a smoke. It don't half pong when it's warm.
>> My neighbours cats don't.

Are you sure it's cats poop, and not another animals poop? Have you witnessed the cats doing it?

Cats rarely don't bury it.
 Keep your cats under lock and key! - bathtub tom
>>Have you witnessed the cats doing it?

Yes, both of them, a ginger one and a black and white one. I got a water blaster and used it on them whenever I saw them in my garden. I don't see them now and I presume they do it at night, but they always use the same patch and what I shovel looks identical to what I witnessed.
>> but they
>> always use the same patch and what I shovel looks identical to what I witnessed.

Whatever goes on my front lawn always goes in same place.

Do cats have conflicting instincts: bury it to defeat predators v leaving it stinking in the open to mark territory?
Yes it a territorial thing. They will usually bury the stuff if in their own undisputed territory but will mark their territory if there are other cats about and the areas is disputed. Its called middening. Of course the cat's view of its territory may not coincide with that of the owner!

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Thu 2 May 19 at 10:43
Latest Forum Posts