Non-motoring > Local Elections 19 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sooty123 Replies: 39

Local Elections 19 - sooty123
Not got a thread for it yet, anyone had any shocks in their local area? Turnout across the country seems to have held out so far and is only done a couple of percent.
Results aren't in for my area, it'll be Con win I expect there was only them and Lab on the ballot and people round here don't vote labour
 Local Elections 19 - Duncan
Leafy Surrey here.

Sorry, we aren't out of bed yet to start supervising the count. It's FAR too early.

Edit.

Ear you go. Results so far.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/ceeqy0e9894t/england-local-elections-2019
Last edited by: Duncan on Fri 3 May 19 at 07:38
 Local Elections 19 - Bromptonaut
Nothing in Northants.

Should have been elections in Boroughs and Districts but they were cancelled pending re-organisation into Unitary Authorities (although that's not yet a done deal).
Liberals seem to be doing well but probably mostly in areas where they've been strong but got a kicking in 2015 when these seats were last up.

They have for example gained Bath and North East Somerset where Tory comment was along lines of:

I don’t think people are happy. The people that voted to remain blame us for leaving and the people that voted to leave blame us because we haven’t left yet.
 Local Elections 19 - Zero
My ward not declared yet. I voted green purely for local nimby* reasons

Generally tho? wow what a kicking for the mainstream parties. If thats not a massive vote of no confidence in the ruling cabals I dont know what is.

Good to see them new NF UKIP killed as a party and movement.

*All council elections in N/E and East surrey are going to lash out at the tories, over a plan to remove large swathes of the county from the green belt. Guildford will be an interesting result, Solidly Tory by . huge margin for years, there could be a shock.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 3 May 19 at 08:36

>> *All council elections in N/E and East surrey are going to lash out at the
>> tories, over a plan to remove large swathes of the county from the green belt.
>> Guildford will be an interesting result, Solidly Tory by . huge margin for years, there
>> could be a shock.
>>

Councils around the country are required to make land available for new housing developments to cope with the increase of population:-

tinyurl.com/y2y4smh7

The population of the UK has increased. Whether that is caused by immigration, or by families having more than two children is arguable. How to control the population would make an interesting debate, perhaps not just in the UK, but worldwide.

Are the days of thinking that a large family is wonderful are over?
I am aware of the central government drive for more housing.

Its not going to change the backlash for removing the protection for lots of quaint little villages or rural communities.

N/W (sorry I said N/E earlier) and West Surrey is not exactly covered in homeless families sleeping in doorways, we dont have huge numbers in temporary accommodation. Its never been an area rich in social housing.
>> N/W (sorry I said N/E earlier) and West Surrey is not exactly covered in homeless
>> families sleeping in doorways, we dont have huge numbers in temporary accommodation. Its never been
>> an area rich in social housing.

I spy NIMBYs!!!

Is there not overcrowding in Surrey's homes? No single homeless in shop doorways or tents? No 'boomerang' sons and daughters unable to afford anything but going back to Mum and Dad?

How much is population forecast to grow in next 15-20 years via inward migration from other parts of country?

Aside from immigration and population growth the other metric driving housing demand is increasing numbers of separated households with kids shuttled between Mum and Dad.

Apart from the tents in the churchyard etc you might say same about Northampton.

Doing what I do for my wage I can tell you that observation of doorways isn't conclusive.

Local Elections 19 - CGNorwich
Surely the best criterion of wheter there are enough houses to meet demand is to look at prices. By that standard London and the South East including Surrey are the areas where demand is strongest and that’s where a lot more houses need to be built.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Fri 3 May 19 at 09:47
>> Surely the best criterion of wheter there are enough houses to meet demand is to
>> look at prices.

No its not. Schools, Environment and commutability to london keep prices high. Where schools are bad, house prices are much lower.

]
>> I spy NIMBYs!!!

You will see right up front I said I voted green for nimby reasons,

>> Is there not overcrowding in Surrey's homes?
no
>> No single homeless in shop doorways or tents?
no
>> No 'boomerang' sons and daughters unable to afford anything but going back to Mum and
>> Dad?
Yes, but thats more a result of todays more unstable relationships, the fractured nature of the gig economy and kids going off to university for a now highly devalued and worthless university degree and coming home again.

>> How much is population forecast to grow in next 15-20 years via inward migration from
>> other parts of country?

You dont inwardly migrate into Surrey, from other part of the country its never historically happened. Population flow is and always has been London pad > Surrey.

AHH Key Workers you say! Surrey is surprisingly well catered for with respect to housing associations providing key worker housing - How do I know? dont forget my missus is a Nurse, and healthy section of our social circle is key worker.

Surrey does however have a very severe problem with mental health provision, the mental health trusts are cash starved and universally useless. There are plans to add a precept to the council tax to cover this, one that I support.

Local Elections 19 - Bobby
>>The population of the UK has increased. Whether that is caused by immigration, or by families having more than two children is arguable. How to control the population would make an interesting debate, perhaps not just in the UK, but worldwide.

or by people living longer?
 Local Elections 19 - smokie
... and of course people owning more than one property, especially where one is just a holiday home left empty for much of the year... (and, as a double whammy, often driving up prices beyond the reach of local workers in poorer areas like Cornwall)
 Local Elections 19 - MD
Not for some ethnic groups.
>> Not for some ethnic groups.

WOW, I really astonished, how did you mange to sneak ethnicity in there? and which particular ethnic group in in your gunsights this week?
 Local Elections 19 - MD
Calm down dear. If you want to argue with facts carry on.
>> Calm down dear. If you want to argue with facts carry on.

Have you got any?
 Local Elections 19 - bathtub tom
>>My ward not declared yet. I voted green

Zeddo voted green! Can someone remind me what he drives?

;>)
He drives a car that is exempt from ULEZ charges in London

;>
>> Guildford will be an interesting result, Solidly Tory by . huge margin for years, there
>> could be a shock.

And there was, Tories lost control, loads of seats lost to a local action group "Residents 4 Guildford Villages"

Essentially Guildford council passed a housing plan that would ribbon develop the A3, more or less from the M25 to the edge of Guildford town about a month ago. It was like building their own gallows.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 3 May 19 at 18:16
Some bad results for Lab they've lost Hartlepool and Bolsover to NOC. Last time the latter didn't have a Labour led council was the late 70s.
 Local Elections 19 - No FM2R
"Theresa May said voters had sent the "simple message" that her party and Labour had to "get on" with delivering Brexit."

Yes, Theresa, *that* was the message they sent. Nothing to do with incompetence and myopia.
So, the Conservative (a party which fervently supports Brexit) have is down by 1241 councillors.

Labour (a party which mostly supports Brexit) have is down by 76 Councillors.

The Libreral Democrats ( a party which loudly supports REMAIN) is up by 647 councillors.

What does the myopic Theresa May read into this? That there is a clear and simply message that she should get on with delivering Brexit.

I'm telling you now, that woman is more than incompetent, she is dangerously self-deluding.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 3 May 19 at 18:38
Not much different here, the Con lead council has its majority cut from huge to merely large.
Also, of course, UKIP (A Brexit supporting party) is down 139 councillors.

Utter chaos.

Seemingly, and simplistically, a narrow majority of voters supported Brexit a couple of years ago, but now there is a significant swing away from Brexit supporting parties.

Glad we cleared that up.

Hey Roger, which conspiracy theory has Conservative Woman come up with to cover this?
 Euro MP elections - bathtub tom
I reckon these will effectively be another referendum and will send a clear message to our political parties, one way or the other.
 Euro MP elections - No FM2R
You would think so, but listening to Theresa May she clearly has chosen what she wishes to hear.

Brexit, or remain for that matter, is clearly *$£&"£$%^ for as long as that woman remains in power.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 3 May 19 at 20:20
....Party.................Councillors..........Change +/-
Conservative..............3549......................-1327
Labour........................2009.........................-77
Liberal Democrat........1339.......................+695
Green.........................264.......................+193
UKIP.............................31........................-144
Others.......................1165.......................+658

Councils controlled per party (change since 2015)
Conservatives: 93 (-43)
Labour: 60 (-6)
Lib Dem: 18 (+10)
Independent: 2 (+2)
Residents' associations: 2 (+1)
No overall control: 71 (+36)
The question is,

1/ Is this a public outcry for 'lets get on with Brexit"
or
2/ Is this a public outcry for "Lets stop Brexit"

Its certainly a public outcry, its certainly about Brexit, but have 1 and 2 morphed into "for gods sake we don't care anymore, stop it, or do it, either way we have had enough of it"
>>"for gods sake we don't care anymore, stop it, or do it, either way we have had enough of it"

I certainly think there is a lot of that. That'd be my position for example.

But I think the fact that so much has gone in the direcition of the Lib Dems is probably significant.

Of course, one needs ot remember that a Brexit supporter will only leave the Conservative sif he means "get on with it" whereas a Remian supporter will only leave teh Conservatives if he means "stop it".

So the leaving from the Conservatives is not particularly significant. The going towards the Lib Dems probably is, and the going towards Independent may be also.

What May needs to get through her thick head is that for whatever reason people are not happy with her or her party, and what Corbyn needs to similarly absorb is that nobody thought he and his party were a good alternative.

I guess the Lib Dems offer Remain. But what are the Independents seen as? A general disenchantment with national politics, I guess.

Local Elections 19 - Kevin
>So the leaving from the Conservatives is not particularly significant. The going towards the Lib Dems
>probably is, and the going towards Independent may be also.

I don't think the Lib Dem and independent gains are significant. In my area (strongly Conservative) I think that many of the disaffected voters wanted to send a clear message to TM but had absolutely no intention of voting for a Labour candidate. Especially with their current leadership. Their only alternatives were to vote Lib Dem, independent or spoil their ballot paper.
Frustration with the Brexit process was certainly a factor but I don't believe that the shift to Lib Dems indicates a seismic shift towards Remain.
If there is a genuine shift towards Lib Dems, its because a: they are seen as a middle ground, and b: they are united on their views on brexit. Doesn't matter what those views are, at least they all agree on it.
So Lib Dem's loud position on Brexit has had no impact?
Anecdotally, not particularly no. I'd say they were a protest vote in many cases. In the same the greens won lots of seats and probably did the best that they've ever done, I don't think there is some genuine explosion of interest in the green party, it's policies and candidates.

If the brexit party had got up and running a few months earlier, I think they'd be a very different set of results today.
>> So Lib Dem's loud position on Brexit has had no impact?

I quote "they are united on their views on brexit. Doesn't matter what those views are, at least they all agree on it."

They have a view, its a loud view, its a firm view, they all agree on it, and they say they can deliver it. I dont think anyone really cares now what it actually is.

Local Elections 19 - Kevin
>So Lib Dem's loud position on Brexit has had no impact?

I doubt that the Lib Dem's repeated posturing for another Brexit referendum had any significant impact, it may even have lost them some votes. I think that many voters were simply venting their frustration by voting against the two main parties. As sooty mentioned, it was a protest vote and Lib Dem, independents or Greens were the only alternatives in many areas.

Good for local democracy that independents got a good share of the fallout though.
 Local Elections 19 - smokie
"Good for local democracy that independents got a good share of the fallout though."

Is it. really?

I mean I used to like the idea of proportional representation, and I was a bit anti the "two party" system.

But with everyone having different agendas I suspect there is even more scope for nothing to be agreed, ever!! :-)

I suppose that's better at local level than national. Certainly the government needs to be made up of people who largely agree and can present a untied front to the population and the rest of the world. (Unlike now, of course - but then many of our current politicians were new boys/girls last time around due to the expenses fall out, and are still learning how it works/doesn't work).
>> I doubt that the Lib Dem's repeated posturing for another Brexit referendum had any significant
>> impact, it may even have lost them some votes.

Is there any evidence either way as to voters' reasons for voting LD? There's a piece in the Guardian looking at their capture of Bath but that's an area where they were historically strong but got a kicking last time these seats were up in 2015.

I don't see how you can call it in binary protest/brexit terms. Could be either, both or neither.
>> But what are the Independents seen as? A
>> general disenchantment with national politics, I guess.

Some will be that. Others, like Zero's example of Guildford's villages, will be people voting on local issues like development, fracking or waste.
>> Its certainly a public outcry, its certainly about Brexit, but have 1 and 2 morphed
>> into "for gods sake we don't care anymore, stop it, or do it, either way
>> we have had enough of it"
>>

I think that's about the size of it. Certainly is for me.

For God's sake, get on with it.
Latest Forum Posts