Non-motoring > Dyson handheld V7 - any good for car? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 11

Dyson handheld V7 - any good for car? - Bobby
Missus is wanting one of these for around the house. I am not convinced in its merits in the house against a normal dyson. But wondering if it’s actually very good for the car? You know, down the sides of seats, across tops of dashboard etc etc?

Anyone got one?
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 13 May 19 at 01:54
 Dyson DC07 - any good for car? - Bromptonaut
We have a DC-03 which is a predecessor with similar functions. We acquired it after my late Mother swore blind it was bu**erd (her words) and bought a replacement. My instruction was to take it to the tip. Found the filter blocked and airpath obstructed with oversize bits and dust. Once cleared it's done us for ten more years. Lives upstairs where most rooms are carpeted.

Except for ability to use the whole thing in the 'lingo's massive boot (seats tumbled and folded) I'd rate our Bosch cylinder cleaner, which lives downstairs for laminate and vinyl, better for inside the car.
 Dyson DC07 - any good for car? - Bobby
D’oh!!

I meant the handheld V7 not the DC07!!

first post corrected to reflect this
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 13 May 19 at 01:54
 Dyson DC07 - any good for car? - Fenlander
As a long time Dyson supporter and owner/restorer (ha ha) of many models inc the handhelds I think they are of limited use in the car.

Handhelds are great to nip out to the car without the bother of mains cord and possibly an extension lead... but only for a fairly localised easy to pick up spill... say a split bag of rice on a seat.

They lack the suction power to pull the usual debris out of car carpets and they make it very hard to reach certain areas as you have the whole vacuum to twist about in the footwell. Far less easy/effective than any of the suction heads on the hose of a more powerful vacuum... like a DC07.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 13 May 19 at 09:45
 Dyson DC07 - any good for car? - CGNorwich
Yes you really need a mains powered cleaner for a car. Henrys are good: long lead, long pipe, pretty robust and cheap for bags and spares. Cheap to buy too - ideal second vacuum for all those mucky jobs including the car.
 Dyson DC07 - any good for car? - VxFan
>> Yes you really need a mains powered cleaner for a car.

Really? I only use a mains powered one for a really deep clean once or twice a year at most, or if some messy eater has deposited a load of crumbs between the front seats and centre console.

Rest of the time I use a battery powered one on a weekly basis, and take out the removable mats and give them a quick rub down with a stiff hand brush.

Bought this cordless vacuum cleaner from LIDL for £10 at least 10 years ago. It takes a 6v lead acid battery, which are readily available. I think I've replaced it twice in the time I've had it. Run time is approx. 30 mins.

www.kompernass.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=97

We've also got another one indoors for quick clean ups to save getting the mains powered one out.
 Dyson DC07 - any good for car? - CGNorwich
You clean the car on a weekly basis? Impressed! Three or four times a year for me I guess. The main dealer does a good valet at service time.
 Dyson DC07 - any good for car? - VxFan
>> You clean the car on a weekly basis? Impressed!

Only the inside. My garage is overlooked by a horrible tree that sheds needles and other debris all over the front forecourt of the garage. I can sweep them all away and next day it's covered again. Needless to say all this mess gets trampled into the car no matter how careful I am. I can shake it off the mats, but the needles, etc. still get everywhere else too.

Outside of the car only gets cleaned a few times a year, with the exception of the windows which get cleaned weekly. Being silver, it doesn't really show the dirt.
 Dyson DC07 - any good for car? - No FM2R
>>You clean the car on a weekly basis? Impressed!

Me too. I doubt I do it even three or four times a year. Probably twice, I guess.

As for the inside, I tend to pick up all the crap when I'm waiting outside somewhere for the children. I haven't ever vacuumed it, I take a hand brush to it when I wash it.

Having said that, in the past when I've had pretty cars I've done a much better job of keeping them nice.
 Dyson DC07 - any good for car? - Fenlander
>>>Missus is wanting one of these for around the house. I am not convinced in its merits in the house against a normal dyson.

For pretty well all regular home use the Dyson cordless models are fantastic. They have obviously worked really hard to design a combination of brush motor power and suction motor power that combine to give the best possible clean vs battery life.

We use our cordless daily and find it does a 100% job inc dog hair on hard floors, carpets and the stairs to leave a clean look... the light weight and ease of use is game changing. But ideally you would keep the other Dyson for a deeper clean once every month or two. If you go over a carpet with the cordless until it isn't picking up any more then use a mains upright Dyson starting with a clean bin you'll see the finer particles that the cordless missed from deep in the pile.
 Dyson handheld V7 - any good for car? - Kevin
If it doesn't have a flexible hose with a narrow tool to get under and around the seats you'll find yourself reverting to a corded which does.

Been there, done that.
 Dyson handheld V7 - any good for car? - Zero
Yer, my Miele Animal with long flexi hose and crevice tool is ideal.
Latest Forum Posts