Non-motoring > Online GP app Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 17

Online GP app - Rudedog
I'm about to register to use my online GP services which will allow access to records and easier (apparently) appointment making.

I have my letter from my practice with my logon details but I also have a choice of five different companies offering the mobile app.

Anybody here have experience of the GP apps and if one is better than the other?

Patient Access
Evergreen Life
Dimec
myGP
digi.me
 Online GP app - CGNorwich
Don’t know about the Apps but I have found the system to be pretty useless as far as booking appointment is concerned. Never shows any as available. Mind you calling is no better. Been waiting for a medicine review since December despite every prescription telling me that it a requirement they have not been able to do so citing workload.

Records shown on the system are pretty basic too.
 Online GP app - Zero
I use Patient Access. Its works pretty well, and it gets you past the gatekeeper from hell, the archaic GP phone system, and Brunhilda the "why do you want to see a doctor" guard dog. In fact online is the only way you can get a same day appointment by loggin on at 08:00.

It enables you to easily request repeat meds, but dont expect your medical records to be accurate or even available. Mine are sketchy to say the least.

For obvious reasons its been getting a lot of use by me lately

I’ve looked at Patient Access for my surgery a number of times and never seen an available appointment on it. The GP service is at crisis level with an acute shortage of Doctors and experienced staff.
 Online GP app - Zero
>> I’ve looked at Patient Access for my surgery a number of times and never seen
>> an available appointment on it. The GP service is at crisis level with an acute
>> shortage of Doctors and experienced staff.

If your doctors surgery is crap, a patient access system aint gonna fix it, nothing will. If your surgery is half crap, an online patient access system is gonna give you a fighting edge in the 08:00 appointment scrum
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 17 May 19 at 20:30
I agree. The only way to improve the system is to either increase provision i.e more doctors or reduce demand i,e make people pay a reasonable charge for a visit Most surgeries now take a good deal of effort in making it as difficult as possible to make an appointment. I rather suspect that they do not really want an online booking system as it removes the ability to triage calls. I have my suspicions that my surgery somehow avoids appointment vacancies appearing on the system. As I said I have never seen one on there.

Online GP app - smokie
If the first is EMIS patient access that's what my local surgery offers.

Nothing to compare it to but I now have access to stuff I didn't previously.

Not sure that's a blessing or what.

Your surgery can decide which bits of MI they implement.

We started with just online repeat prescription ordering.

Now I have access to the history of my Dr appointments. I can see some might be missing. I don't really mind but I'm sure others would take issue with that.

EDIT you can only book specific types of appt using mine. No use for me, i'm not pregnant or wanting a smear!
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 17 May 19 at 20:12
 Online GP app - Bromptonaut
Used EMIS/Patient Access for years. For some reason my username password combo stopped working and upon re-registering I was offered choice similar to OP. Stayed with Patient Access.

To be honest they're just competing gateways. If I want to book an appointment on line then presumably each looks at same diary and it's either Dr Smith in 15 days or Dr Jones on same date or later; those appointments are meant for people who need follow ups or have non urgent issues. I can also order repeats of my regular medication.

If I've got an acute/urgent condition then I ring up. Speak with receptionist and give her my name and preferred call back number. If I'm happy to disclose my issue I can tell her my back's killing me or that my penis has swollen to three times its normal size.

I'll get a triage call back from a Doctor within hour. He or she might call me to see a GP colleague, book an appointment with a nurse or, if it's a common or recurrent problem prescribe based on phone call. I've had Flucloxacillin for skin infections, Codeine for back recurrent pain and Citralopram for recurring anxiety prescribed by phone.

When my toe nail went funny I had to go in and provide nail snippings for analysis before getting a supply of Turbinefine.

So it all works OK for us but computer access is a bonus. It doesn't create extra appointments.
 Online GP app - Rudedog
Thanks all.

When I first looked at the surgery's website it sort of took me to Patient Access as their 'default' choice... Strange, EMIS is what we use at work as part of the Community IT system that's linked to our Trust's main system.

Evergreen Life seems to boast that's used by loads of other patient systems.. think I'll use Patient Access I guess I can swap if it's rubbish I only really need it to make an elective appointment and bypass the front desk.
 Online GP app - Lygonos

>>When my toe nail went funny I had to go in and provide nail snippings for analysis before getting a supply of Turbinefine.

Terbinafine tablets need blood tests before starting and then every 4-6 weeks or so to ensure they aren't rotting your liver (typical course for nail infection is 6 months or so)
 Online GP app - Bromptonaut
>> Terbinafine tablets need blood tests before starting and then every 4-6 weeks or so to
>> ensure they aren't rotting your liver (typical course for nail infection is 6 months or
>> so)

Now on my second course of 3 months. First appeared to clear infection but after end it started to spread back so given second course.

Blood test not offered at any stage.

If they were rotting my liver what symptoms might I expect?
 Online GP app - Lygonos
www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/1031/smpc

Section 4.4

Is very rare but liver failure usually means not feeling well, possibly turning yellow, bleeding easily, and various other not so nice symptoms.

Not sure when they started the liver test regime - don't think it was done when I started 20 years ago, but then it was pre-generic and £45 a month - £135 to £270 quid of tablets to treat a funky toenail - not really what the NHS was created for.

Have never seen a liver issue from terbinafine, but did once see someone's skin virtually shed itself with a Stevens-Johnson type reaction.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Fri 17 May 19 at 22:45
 Online GP app - helicopter
My local area is supposedly the second worst in the country for GP appointments but I never have had a problem.

Since my gall bladder operation on 23rd April I have had a number of issues and have had three appointments and I currently have three separate hospital referrals for those issues. I cannot complain at all very efficient service.

tinyurl.com/y2bp6bc6

That should do the trick
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sat 18 May 19 at 19:13
 Online GP app - VxFan
I use Patient Access for all my repeat prescriptions.

For booking an appointment, I'd sooner phone the local surgery as there are generally a few appointments going where people have cancelled, etc. Patient Access won't show cancellations. Plus they keep a few appointments back for those people who don't use computers or phone apps.
 Online GP app - Rudedog
OK just got around to using the app...

Logged on (I just want a general elective appointment)

What was I offered...

19th or 20th of June at 0840 in the morning (no other slots all day) with the GP who doesn't have the best rep!!!

I don't often swear but I'm f'ing gob-smacked, my heart is in my boots!

I work full-time and would like an evening appointment or one that I can at least try and get to without causing issues at work.. and this is the reason middle aged men don't go and see their GP!

And yet when I go and pick up my repeat prescriptions (pharmacy is based inside of GP surgery) the place is empty.

I give up!
They offered you an appointment within a month? Count yourself lucky.
 Online GP app - VxFan
>> I work full-time and would like an evening appointment or one that I can at
>> least try and get to without causing issues at work.. and this is the reason
>> middle aged men don't go and see their GP!

Why not just phone up for an appointment? That's what I do, and get offered places that aren't listed on the App. Like I said earlier, they keep appointments back for people who can't use computers, smart phones, etc, not to mention if someone has cancelled their appointment at the last minute.

All I use the App for is to reorder medication.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 22 May 19 at 02:03
Latest Forum Posts