Non-motoring > Any brainwave ideas? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 34

Any brainwave ideas? - Bobby
Long story short, a pensioner neighbour has been shafted by a crook gardener. a few of us are going to try and rectify things and finish her garden off.

We need to get 3 or 4 ton bags of sand into her back garden. Cannot take through house. Bottom of garden is a 6 foot wall. other side is a sloping grass verge, pavement and road. Can get ton bags delivered to the verge but too far to reach to get the ton bags over the wall with a hi-ab.

So if they dump ton bags of sand the other side of the 6 foot wall, how do we get the sand over into the garden?

Best idea I can come up with is to build a base of pallets to give some height so that the bag is dumped on them and then we can stand and shovel the sand over the wall?

Am I missing an obvious solution?
 Any brainwave ideas? - CGNorwich
How far from the road to the wall? The delivery vehicle should be able to crane the stuff for about 4.5 metres. Had several tons of the stuff delivered in that way some years back when laying a patio
 Any brainwave ideas? - PeterS
Yes, I’ve had those 1,000 litre dump bags of solid delivered over a 6 foot fence by the delivery lorry (from Wickes I seem to recall). So unless the bank is particularly steep I don’t see a problem asking them to just lift them over

And edited to say, what a nice thing to do for your neighbour :)
Last edited by: PeterS on Fri 17 May 19 at 23:11
Have already been advised that the delivery lorry can't reach that far - not sure of exact measurements but due to steepness of banking it would need to park up on the pavement at the closest and thats still too far away.

The cowboy had done this with the type 1, I remember seeing the ton bags sitting on the grass but no idea how he got it over the wall!!
 Any brainwave ideas? - Bromptonaut
Why does sand need to be in such big bags?

Could bags of 100kg be handled more easily even if you need 40 of them?
You can buy sand in 25 kilo bags but that would be 160 bags for the 4 tonnes the OP requires.

Fancy lobbing 160 bags over a six foot wall? I have a job getting one out of the boot!
 Any brainwave ideas? - No FM2R
>>but no idea how he got it over the wall!!

A rented mini digger I expect. That's how I did it. I'm not absolutely sure about the weight of the bags I had delivered, but I think they were 1ton.
 Any brainwave ideas? - Crankcase
I've seen a million episodes of Gold Rush, so, something like this?

www.hss.com/hire/c/lifting-and-handling/conveyors

Any brainwave ideas? - sooty123
I take the hiab can get the sand to the base of the back wall but not over it?

How steep is the grass banking?
 Any brainwave ideas? - Duncan
TL:DR

Blokes with wheelbarrows?

Decant into sacks and manhandle?

Thought. Can we still say manhandle?
How do you get a wheelbarrow over a six foot wall then?
 Any brainwave ideas? - Duncan
>> How do you get a wheelbarrow over a six foot wall then?
>>

TL:DR
 Any brainwave ideas? - sooty123
>> TL:DR
>>
>> Blokes with wheelbarrows?
>>
>> Decant into sacks and manhandle?
>>
>>

There's your slight problem with offering ideas.
 Any brainwave ideas? - Fullchat
"I've seen a million episodes of Gold Rush,....."

Man after my own heart. :)
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sat 18 May 19 at 10:53
 Any brainwave ideas? - devonite
Could it be easier to take down a small section of wall, big enough to get a barrow through, and then wheel it to wherever you need it? - then re-build the wall afterwards.
 Any brainwave ideas? - Zero
Incorporate a new gate into the back wall as part of your garden plans.
 Any brainwave ideas? - Fullchat
There we go.

Not a problem. Now a solution opportunity with some 'added value'. Win win :))
Not really possible am afraid!
 Any brainwave ideas? - Crankcase
>> "I've seen a million episodes of Gold Rush,....."
>>
>> Man after my own heart. :)

Trouble is, you then get sucked into "Parkers Trail", "Dave Turin's Lost Mines", "Aussie Outback Gold Hunters", "Aussie Opal Hunters", "The Curse of Oak Island", "The Curse of Civil War Gold" and "Cooper's Treasure".

And then there isn't any time in the week to eat, sleep, or breathe.
 Any brainwave ideas? - Ambo
>> Cannot take through house

A physical impossibility or the neighbour's objection? If the latter, can't you try getting the rule relaxed, so long as you put down sufficient covers to the floors.
 Any brainwave ideas? - Dulwich Estate II
Dig a tunnel and smuggle the sand in by filling your trouser pockets and surreptitiously empty them into the garden. All the while whistle the theme tune from The Great Escape.
 Any brainwave ideas? - smokie
GMTA - exactly the same crossed my mind earlier!! As did engage your local Scout troop in in Bob A Job week, but that's passed already i think, as there was that MP using the Scouts to deliver flyers.

But they were so unsensible I decided not to post them :-)
 Any brainwave ideas? - PeterS
I’m pretty sure that at a certain frequency sand basically acts as a liquid doesn’t it? So find that frequency and simply pump it over the wall with a big hosepipe :)

Though I fear that the 25Kg bag solution might be the only practical one by the sounds of it...
>> I’m pretty sure that at a certain frequency sand basically acts as a liquid doesn’t
>> it?

Yes its called liquefaction. You need an earthquake however to generate the required frequency and energy.
Pretty much physical impossibility - several steps, door thresholds, cream carpet and a decking frame without any decking on it are just some of the obstacles!
From her back door, her property is edge to edge decking - except no actual decking boards on the frame as she has paid for these but they never appeared...

After the decking is the area that the artificial turf has to go - the turf is there, the stone base is in place but needs the sand to finish it off.

So the quick and cheap win is to get the sand and at least get the turf down and that is one bit done. Then need to see what she wants to do with the decking - a temporary job of some boards on it to let her walk across, buying standard boards rather than the composite boards she had paid for , or hold off and see if anything can be done to recover money from him (highly doubtful).
 Any brainwave ideas? - No FM2R
I used to pay about £50 per day for a mini digger, surely worth it? Depending on the height of the wall though, I guess.

[be warned that the deposit requirements were a bit horrible though].
 Any brainwave ideas? - nice but dim
Bobby, if possible could you send a Google street view of this location so access can be visualised?

Obviously extreme and plenty of £££'s but this would do the job! 50m reach.

www.liebherr.com/en/gbr/products/mobile-and-crawler-cranes/mobile-cranes/lrt-rough-terrain-cranes/onepager_lrt_krane.html
 Any brainwave ideas? - nice but dim
These?

www.ab2000.co.uk/crane-hire/
Just as a double update - one of the neighbours has arranged with the building supplies company to get one of their drivers to drop in next time they are passing to see if it is actually reachable.

However the conman has reappeared, all apologetic, and is claiming to be back on Tuesday though I very much doubt it. Neighbour still has the whacker vibrating plate thingy in her garden that the conman has hired - must be building up a huge debt there as well!

Might borrow it myself over the weekend - do these vibrating plates hammer down a clay heavy driveway??
 Any brainwave ideas? - BiggerBadderDave
"Might borrow it myself over the weekend - do these vibrating plates hammer down a clay heavy driveway??"

Did you finish flattening your driveway this afternoon, then? Because Zero has stopped posting.

Questions will be asked, Bobby. Questions with be asked.
>> "Might borrow it myself over the weekend

Well its the only way you will get laid BBD.
Further update - crook man disappeared as quickly as he reappeared.

We finally went down the road of taking the sand through the house - three of us had the same brainwave as we were standing outside her house, scratching our heads. On wheelie bin day.....

So carpets, thresholds etc all covered and/or packed up and then we used her wheelie bins to transport the sand from front to back. Surprising how much sand you can get in a wheelie bin - b***** heavy as well!

Not a grain of sand was spilt in the house!
 Any brainwave ideas? - devonite
That's weelly bin a good idea!
 Any brainwave ideas? - R.P.
Bless you Bobby -job sorted.
Latest Forum Posts