Non-motoring > Untimed deliveries Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 7

Untimed deliveries - smokie
1) Why in these days of technology do companies still think it's all right to say your goods will be delivered between 8 and 6 on Monday, and will require a signature, but give you no indication of what time they may come?

2) Who are the lucky ones who always get such deliveries early in the day, leaving me just waiting, with nothing to do, often till late afternoon (or at least 14:29)?

(I am waiting for a new radiator, it is coming directly from the manufacturer and there was apparently no other source - all the different online plumbers just take orders for the manufacturer - with wildly differing margins too, but that's another story!)
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 20 May 19 at 14:29
 Untimed deliveries - Zero
Hermes are best

Their state of the art to the hour on-line tracking system consists of one line to tell you its been picked up from the supplier, then an email, 2,3,4,5 days later 15 minutes before saying it will be delivered in the next hour.

But they will split your order (because it wont fit in the back of the sub, sub sub sub contracted couriers 2003 Daewoo matiz) so you only get two of three, the tracking system wont tell you they have done so, nor will it tell you when part three is due, until, yes you guessed it, you get an email 15 minutes before it turns up/
Ha! That fixed it! It just arrived, within 20 minutes of posting.

I always say Car4play is magic!!
 Untimed deliveries - Bromptonaut
Exactly same yesterday with a new router from Amazon. The one supplied by plusnet wasn't up to snuff and the old one is not VDSL compatible. At least it was Sunday.

Actually we're fairly lucky as I only work 3 days a week and Mrs B is often at home too. Further we have several neighbours who are either retired or home workers and we're all happy to take in one another's stuff.
 Untimed deliveries - Bobby
I'm in the fortunate position I can just get all deliveries sent to my work address which has a 24 hour staffed reception......

Didn't stop the DPD driver claiming he had delivered a soundbar from Richer Sounds though when we had CCTV that proved otherwise....
 Untimed deliveries - R.P.
I worked briefly with a former DPD driver. I thought the conditions we worked in were pretty crap, but what he told some horrendous tales. The Hermes driver for the area has a pallet of parcels delivered to his house at the crack of dawn and he's then left to it. Seems that using uninsured (for business and load cover) is very much the norm. Living in a rural idyll, we get to know our delivery drivers as they do us. The other day I was at home when I had a text to say my package had been delivered - it hadn't. I went online to try and sort it with the couriers when the Postie arrived - went to greet him to avoid canine contact - as I did my neighbour showed up - she had my parcel, she'd seen the courier in the village and he'd handed it to her - good service actually.
 Untimed deliveries - sooty123
Waiting on a DHL parcel from ECP. They are normally fine but these last few times its pot luck when they turn up. They just get delayed and put back for delivery a week later for no reason I can fathom or find out. Might switch to GSF.
In my experience they sometimes don't try very hard to find a neighbour, and other times leave a quite valuable parcel on full view.

Being a bit mutton, I have repeat ringers around the house but I still might miss the door if I was in the garden, especially if I was mowing the lawn or something. (Yes, I have one portable battery one too, which I always either forget to take out, or forget to take in afterwards!!!). And anyway they often knock on the door rather than use the bell.

Where poss (eg eBay and Amazon) I get deliveries to a local shop and go and collect.

My youngest has just got one of those WiFi doorbells with a camera and microphone. If she's out and a delivery man calls she can speak to him, and ask him to leave it somewhere or with a neighbour. She gave me access to her app so I can see how it works. I've been keen to get one, but they mostly don't have separate ringers so if you aren't carrying your phone you may miss it. Well, that's the case on the cheapies I've been looking at,...)
Latest Forum Posts