Non-motoring > Offensive conifers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 10

Offensive conifers - smokie
My daughter lives in a flat at the top of an old Edwardian house (2nd floor).

From her lounge window she can easily see the tops of conifers in next door's garden - probably 6 - 10 feet away.

The lady downstairs has been trying to sell her flat Apparently the conifers are the only thing visible from her bedroom. Her light isn't blocked but it obviously has an effect - and it has been mentioned by propective buyers as one of the off-putting things.

She spoke to the neighbours to ask if they could do something.

Their response was that they are trying to grow them sufficiently high that no-one in the house can see into their garden - which in my daughter's case means the lounge window will start to be blocked.

Does she (or the lady below) have any grounds to object, if so, who to and how? Or is it the flat management company who should object?

Daughter is concerned as she doesn't want a blight on her how (or a reportable dispute with neighbours) is'when she comes to sell.

I know I can (and I will) Google this but I appreciate peoples views here.
 Offensive conifers - Bromptonaut
There was some suggestion about 15 years ago about a high hedges being regulated with a 'High Hedges Tribunal' to adjudicate but I don't think it went anywhere.

Will look it up when I've got a bit of time but right now we're getting ready for tomorrow's trip to Scotland and Western Isles.
 Offensive conifers - CGNorwich
www.gov.uk/government/publications/high-hedges-complaining-to-the-council/high-hedges-complaining-to-the-council

Link to the Government Guide on complaining to your council regarding high hedges
Now I feel silly, I should've Googled myself, but many thanks!! :-)
 Offensive conifers - sherlock47
If they really are only 2-3 m away I would have thought that the major problem was likely to be roots growing under the building. The building insurers are like to see it as a problem, and a letter reminding the neighbour of their personal liability for structural repairs may put the wind up them. However removal may result in more problems! Find a professional who will recommend the height at which they should be topped to minimise problems.

How you keep this away from being a known dispute is probably the biggest difficulty.
 Offensive conifers - sooty123
>> Their response was that they are trying to grow them sufficiently high that no-one in
>> the house can see into their garden -

I bet they hardly ever go in the garden!
 Offensive conifers - Zero
>> >> Their response was that they are trying to grow them sufficiently high that no-one
>> in
>> >> the house can see into their garden -
>>
>> I bet they hardly ever go in the garden!

Not till the trees are grown
Using a link in the website above my daughter reckons they should be no higher than 2.25m. Next time I'm there I'll take some measuring equipment and do it properly.

Good point re the roots, and keeping the dispute "quiet". I've told her that she can assist the lady downstairs in putting together the case but she must not allow herself to be identified with the dispute.

I suppose that is the other half of the question though, should it be the occupiers or the management who raise the case? (I guess the roots/insurance may be of more interest to them than lack of light)
 Offensive conifers - bathtub tom
I had precisely this problem. When I asked my neighbour (whose trees they were), the reply was: "Grow up, get a life!".
I took a chain saw on a pole and started cutting off the overhanging branches and depositing them on their front lawn - one branch took two of us to carry it.
Their son (a gardener) promptly turned up and offered to remove the offending foliage.

Branches overhanging your property can legally be removed and although you can ask your neighbour to deal with the problem, they're legally responsible for the timber and you have to return it to them. It's a moot point if you can charge them for the cost!
 Offensive conifers - No FM2R
www.problemneighbours.co.uk/problems-with-neighbouring-trees-action-guide.html
Thanks all, will come back with an update at some point.
Latest Forum Posts